Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   TV, Movies, & Games (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Top Ten Gothic Movies Thread (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=14806)

korinna5555 06-24-2009 11:32 PM

The Flaming Creatures

Lolly PopMuzik 06-24-2009 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malice In Wonderland (Post 545513)
Spellbound by Siouxsie & The Banshees is on STRAIGHT after Adam & The Ants in the scene where Sol is doing his stage show crap.

Regardless of the soundtrack, The Crow SUCKED.

Well, I haven't seen the flick anyway...And I probably might not.

Malice In Wonderland 06-25-2009 06:14 AM

Doomsday?
It's pretty good.

Also, Wonder Showzen rules.

SiouxsiePernova 06-25-2009 08:13 AM

"Gypsy 83".

CrimsonPythonidae 06-26-2009 06:27 AM

That "Tale of Two Sisters", is that a German/Dutch movie? If so I loved that. I might be thinking of something else though . .

Needlefeet 06-26-2009 07:14 AM

I saw the Crow and I thought: "damn! This is pretty dodgy for all the hype".
I rented like... 3? different Crow's and they all sucked really. I got some recent remake, a TV series and then the original... They all had different fucking story lines.

Sinjob 06-26-2009 09:03 AM

Return of the Living Dead, Caligari, Flaming Creatures, Blood for Dracula and Flesh For Frankenstein are all pretty good. I'll have to admit to being a fan of the Crow here and even got a soft spot for Gypsy.

*thinks*
Anything by Gregg Araki.

Wyntre Amaranth 06-27-2009 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malice In Wonderland (Post 545614)
Doomsday?
It's pretty good.

Heh. Just finished watching Doomsday. One of my favorites. I highly enjoy post-apocalyptic settings in both screenplay and literature.

Wyntre Amaranth 06-27-2009 02:22 AM

For me, in a way purely for the fact that goth and romance share a common plate, I would have to say Princess Bride should be on the list.

Lolly PopMuzik 06-27-2009 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malice In Wonderland (Post 545614)
Doomsday?
It's pretty good.

Yeah, Doomsday. It just doesn't look like my kinda flick due to watching too much of Turner Classic Movies lately.

And ya damn right Wonder Showzen rules. *high fives Wonder Showzen style*

Anima_Severem 07-08-2009 06:48 AM

Some notes before we start.

There's a lot of different stuff here. Some horror, some comedy, some...horromedy. There might also be some really bad movies here, but I think that's alright. I'm one of those weirdos who likes bad movies.

Corpse Bride - I don't think gothic stuff is all about sulking and scoffing. Anyone who thinks that has the wrong subculture. Emo's five aisles over. But this one's got Victorian England, marrying a corpse, and dancing skeletons. What's not to love about dancing skeletons?

Beetlejuice - When I was a kid this one gave me nightmares. As I got older though, I loved it, especially as I slipped into the goth subculture. I'm...a sucker for these movies. What? No I'm not a Tim Burton fan.

Hellraiser (Only the first 2)- Now we're getting serious, and for once it's not a Tim Burton work. Deep down inside, I think everyone's got that desire to experience pleasure beyond their wildest imagination, even if it means getting that pleasure intertwined in pain. That, and who doesn't love shiny leather?

The original Dracula - The one with Bela Lugosi. This is pretty much a goth staple, and no one, NO ONE can replace Bela Lugosi.

Twilight - Just kidding.

DemiGoth 07-24-2009 01:17 PM

Well the 'Matrix' series is considered gothic by some people (mostly because the characters dress in the cyber gothic fashion) and i heard it was a great series.

Sweeney Todd was AMAZING

Blair witch project was great, my favorite movie, but i dont know if you'd consider it gothic.

nightmare before christmas was good

corpse bride was good

nosferatu i have but havent watched yet.

betty-mourque 08-18-2009 01:52 PM

i´ve collect b movies and this stuff, Elvira (great comedian)
and and the fall of the house usher are great movies!

CountVonCount 08-18-2009 08:31 PM

Corpse Bride was sooo boring.
So was Mistress of the Dark but I'd consider Elvira a guilty pleasure. The only true substance it had was her car - OH. MY. GOD. Jet black 1959 T-Bird with a spiderweb grill, chain stearing wheel, a license plate that reads '2MACABRE' and leopard interioir??
Gurrl's ride is too fly.

I mean it was entertaining but the character is so simple and no where near goth...she's just a rocker chick with a hopeful compact and eyeliner. And that hee-yuck scoff...oy vey! It's obvious she rode in from the Valley. The sequel movie was beyond retarded, I couln't wipe the grimace of confusion off my face long enough to even consider a laugh. She's just a pair of painted lips and hourglass hips with the twins in between. Plain and SIMPLE.

Sermon Bathe 08-21-2009 09:51 PM

The Fearless Vampire Killers by Polanski
The Tenant(Tenet?) another Polanski
The Fall of The House of Usher
Teenager From Space
Black Sunday by Mario Bava
The Giant of Metropolis
The Vampire Lovers
Shockwave(s?)
I could put a third Polanski, Rosemary's Baby, but its
to damned creepy

Ophelia's Snorkel 08-23-2009 08:49 PM

I sometimes get asked this by the kids I tutor. This is what I recommend to them - some are 'goth films' and some just express a kind of gothic sensibility or atmosphere:

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Nosferatu
Gaslight
Dracula (Lugosi)
Young Frankenstein
Misc. Vincent Price
Edward Scissorhands
Beetlejuice
Nightmare Before Christmas
The Bad Seed

SandyTree 08-26-2009 01:47 AM

THE CROW

THE 9TH GATE

Interview with the Vampire

Sleepy Hollow

Vidocq

unconcentrated 09-06-2009 03:01 PM

Just few notes (and to refresh topic).
Quote:

Nosferatu
Definitely. Unlike it is more violet than black and white film (due the year of creation - 1922), the atmosphere is really impressive.

Anyway.

Anyone seen Goth: Love of Death (2008) based on manga named "Goth" from Otsu-ichi? Trailer looks really, well, let's say - interesting.

And one personal recommendation - Det sjunde inseglet (The Seventh Seal).
Picture of knight and death playing chess is hard to forget.

Ko Pilot 09-10-2009 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sermon Bathe (Post 555466)
The Fearless Vampire Killers by Polanski
The Tenant(Tenet?) another Polanski
The Fall of The House of Usher
Teenager From Space
Black Sunday by Mario Bava
The Giant of Metropolis
The Vampire Lovers
Shockwave(s?)
I could put a third Polanski, Rosemary's Baby, but its
to damned creepy

Basically Polanski.

Jonathan 09-10-2009 01:45 PM

I am bad at guessing what a goth movie is, so I'll just mention some I like for various reasons that haven't already been listed (or that I didn't notice)

The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
Dancer in the Dark
Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter
Falling Down
.. um... thats all I can think of. Just found Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter on youtube, so I'll be gone for an hour or so XD

WarlockSix 09-12-2009 07:47 PM

Hm.

A few movies I have enjoyed are:-

Hellraiser. The combination of demons (or angels), mad sadomasochism, awesome 80s gore and fashion made this movie indescribably brilliant to me.
Oh, and the Cenobites were awesome, I loved their outfits :)

Sweeney Todd. A mad barber with a long-standing grudge, a deadly barbershop that processes corpses into pies and a lovely Victorian setting make Sweeney Todd one of my favourite musicals. But then, I love the idea of a gruesome musical, I wish there were more of them, if anyone knows any more?

The Matrix. I grew up on the Matrix; it's been one of my favourite movies for a long time because it explores the idea of a skewed, false reality, as well as a heap of crazy fight scenes. Not to mention all the sexy black and PVC outfits :)

Doomsday. Medieval knights fighting futuristic soldiers and Mad-Max-esque punk cannibals? Why in hell not? Oh, and the song from Siouxsie gives it extra points, even if the movie itself was somewhat terrible :)

The Nightmare Before Christmas. An alright movie with a bunch of rather fun singing skeletons. A pity that it got popular enough with the 'emo' kids, but I still don't mind it :P

Keni 12-25-2009 05:10 PM

aaah

now that i actually think of it

i really cant think of any

would the rocky horror picture show qualify ? ? ? ? ?
i dunno

its kinda

hokey

and what about

It is fine . Everything is fine!
??
well . . . anything directed by Crispin Glover

all hail lunatic directors
=D

Daywalker 12-26-2009 02:37 PM

ok first of all you have to pick a Director: i like Gregg Araki
nowhere is one of the top 10 of all time.

Bloodflowers 01-01-2010 07:29 PM

I'd simplify it as basically anything Roger Corman directed, named after a Poe story/poem, and cast Vincent Price in...

Bloodflowers 01-01-2010 07:32 PM

Oh, and amazed someone mentioned Vidocq.... I rather like that film (surprised it was directed by the same person that did Catwoman though..).