Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

Natasshha 01-13-2006 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NecromanticSunshine
The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown

Necro, are you enjoying it?; because I love it... I just can't wait for the movie. Also I really dislike the idea of Tom Hunks for the role of Robert L. but now that I saw the preview I think he is going to do a great job!!!, he is a awsome actor.

To se the preview here.... http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/thedavincicode/

LegendGirl 01-13-2006 11:44 AM

I received the entire boxed set of hardcover Harry Potter books for Christmas from my husband. I'm about 1/3 of the way through "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince", and I've enjoyed them all tremendously.

After that, I'll start "Eragon", followed by "Eldest" (see T-Stone's post); then I'll read "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova.

Winter is my reading season. :)

Saya 01-13-2006 11:44 AM

I'm reading (not quite finished) The Complete Works of Lewis Carrol, Paradise Lost by John Miton, and I finished Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl.

Natasshha 01-16-2006 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegendGirl
I received the entire boxed set of hardcover Harry Potter books for Christmas from my husband. I'm about 1/3 of the way through "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince", and I've enjoyed them all tremendously.

After that, I'll start "Eragon", followed by "Eldest" (see T-Stone's post); then I'll read "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova.

Winter is my reading season. :)

Wow, Legend Girl, I admire you, I dont know how can you poll it off like that, reading all those humongous books without getting a huge headache...I couldn't do it.
I like the movies though!!!. Harry is hot.

;) hehehe

Nati

Surgeon Méchant De Sang 01-25-2006 11:02 PM

Trying to read three books at once:

1. The Meaning of Wife - Anne Kingston
2. Body Wars: Making Peace With Women's Bodies in the new Millennium - Margo Maine
3. Book of the Courtesans: A Catalogue of Their Virtues - Susan Griffin

Blushing Heliophobe 01-26-2006 01:45 AM

Right now I'm reading Don't Know Much About Mythology by Kenneth C. Davis. It's the best book I've bought in a while. I highly recommend it to those interested in mythology, religion, history, and social studies. It also explains about the societies that fostered the different myths.

tenet_2012 01-26-2006 01:57 AM

I am currently reading Bill Clinton's book for the third time.

He is extremely smart.

ennui 01-27-2006 11:11 AM

The Magus - Francis Barrett

Wise Child 01-27-2006 11:15 AM

Jane Austen, Pride & Prejudice. I have to say I feel slightly let down - I've never been a huge fan of Austen, but I've been told it's 'cause I've never read this one, which is the masterpiece. So now I'm readin' it, and... it's okay. That is all.

Nike 01-27-2006 04:22 PM

Stephen Hodkinson: Property and Wealth in Classical Sparta
Paul Cartledge: Spartan Reflections
Very good books, both of them. I admit I am into that subject more than quite a bit :D

TeapotScar 01-27-2006 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wise Child
Jane Austen, Pride & Prejudice. I have to say I feel slightly let down - I've never been a huge fan of Austen, but I've been told it's 'cause I've never read this one, which is the masterpiece. So now I'm readin' it, and... it's okay. That is all.

You're not alone- I've always thought Austen was mediocre at best. I don't see what the big hub-bub is about her writing- I found all of them *quite* boring, and not particularly well-written.

Wise Child 01-27-2006 04:53 PM

It just doesn't seem anything special.

horrorgirl 01-27-2006 05:33 PM

Stephen King-Cell

Demon Eyes 01-27-2006 08:35 PM

Recently I've begun reading a bit of realism and surrealism based books. Mostly I've been reading the works of Julio Cortazar because I like his style which kind of reminds me of Poe in some particular way. Any of you have authors that you all like and recommend to me under these categories?

Very much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Dark at heart 01-27-2006 09:48 PM

At the moment I am reading Forever odd, a sequel to the book Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz.

Wise Child 01-28-2006 04:41 AM

I wasn't crazy about Odd Thomas. After I read it, I thought it was the worst Dean Koontz I'd ever read. But apparently I'm alone there, because I read on a Dean Koontz website that it's generally thought by fans to be the best - which I found weird. It wasn't finished, in my opnion - you never find out for certain what he saw in the cupboard. And Stormy pissed me off; her dying was probably the high point! ^_^

Dark at heart 01-28-2006 08:57 AM

I liked Odd Thomas, I don't know if I would say it was the best, but I did like it.

Wise Child 01-28-2006 09:13 AM

It said on the site that that's why DK did a sequel - 'cause the fans went crazy over it and were clamouring for more!

Nike 01-28-2006 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demon Eyes
Recently I've begun reading a bit of realism and surrealism based books. Mostly I've been reading the works of Julio Cortazar because I like his style which kind of reminds me of Poe in some particular way. Any of you have authors that you all like and recommend to me under these categories?

Very much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Regarding surrealism I can recommand Paul Celan, if you're into poetry. You can check out some of his poems translated into English language there: http://www.artofeurope.com/celan/
His best known work is the "Fugue of Death". An excellent author, really.

Beowulf 01-30-2006 03:53 PM

Hell Bent for Leather (Confessions of a Heavy Metal Addict) : Seb Hunter

I just love this book, it`s one of those books you can read over and over, and its really funny in places.

cannibalnuns 01-30-2006 06:30 PM

The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection From the Living Dead - Max Brooks

Top 10 Lessons for Surviving a Zombie Attack

1. Organize before they rise!
2. They feel no fear, why should you?
3. Use your head: cut off theirs.
4. Blades don’t need reloading.
5. Ideal protection = tight clothes, short hair.
6. Get up the staircase, then destroy it.
7. Get out of the car, get onto the bike.
8. Keep moving, keep low, keep quiet, keep alert!
9. No place is safe, only safer.
10. The zombie may be gone, but the threat lives on.