Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

badteccy 06-24-2007 09:36 AM

A collection of Emily Dickenson poems.

Velvet_Mansfield 06-24-2007 09:38 AM

I just started Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and I'm re-reading Flowers in the Dustbin by James Miller.

MollyMac 06-24-2007 12:05 PM

"Eating Well for Optimum Health" by Andrew Weil, M. D.

Paying for the whole seat, only using the edge.

And "Conditioning for Dancers". Again, not gripping, but very informative

Ratchet 06-24-2007 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Methadrine
I just finished reading the complete works of H.P Lovecraft... again.

Sweet. Do you have a favorite piece?

Aaroneet 06-24-2007 02:51 PM

DAVE BARRY SLEPT HERE-Dave Barry

Not exactly constructive reading...

Methadrine 06-24-2007 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratchet
Sweet. Do you have a favorite piece?

One of these three I think, I can't really decide: 'At the mountains of madness', 'The call of cthulhu' or 'The shadow out of time'. I like the ones that hints about the mythos, and dark, brooding horrors from cyclopean cities in places even time seem to have forgot, the most.

Ratchet 06-25-2007 01:16 PM

"The Outsider" is probably my favorite...I don't know why. Its so spooky yet so familiar all at once. Its kind of weird how you can think of his writing as realistic when it is so bizarre. Definitely an interesting talent.

PutridLily 06-25-2007 01:52 PM

I like 'The Call of Cthulhu'. I am currently reading 'Alice in Wonderland'...for the fifth time. Someone needs to take this book off me before my brain implodes!

Methadrine 06-25-2007 02:30 PM

The only "bad" thing about Lovecraft is, as someone I don't remember the name of said, that he sometimes has the action happening a bit weird... I mean, no one sits at their desk and writes a letter like "I can hear it at the door. Oh no, it opens the door! It comes in! It's horrible, undescribeable, this utmost terror from outer space! It seems hungry! Aaaarrgh......"

I mean, who writes a letter in front of some demonic hellspawn...? I would run, or ask for its autograph. :D Other than that, I love the way Lovecraft describes everything. I wish I could write like him.

Ratchet 06-25-2007 10:59 PM

I know what you mean...I find that that can actually get a little confusing so I end up having to read sections like that twice. I think its because that kind of writing is not something you see everyday.
His writing kind of reminds me of that of Ambrose Bierce in that they both succeed at shocking you and providing you with wonderfully grotesque descriptions of images. Do you read him also?

ShadowWolf 06-26-2007 01:24 AM

I'm currently reading "The Mayne Inheritance" by Rosamond Siemon. I would like to read "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova or "Carmilla" by J. Sheridan LeFanu.

I love "The Mayne Inheritance" for a few reasons, but one which appeals to me most is that's it's a true story.

Methadrine 06-26-2007 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratchet
I know what you mean...I find that that can actually get a little confusing so I end up having to read sections like that twice. I think its because that kind of writing is not something you see everyday.
His writing kind of reminds me of that of Ambrose Bierce in that they both succeed at shocking you and providing you with wonderfully grotesque descriptions of images. Do you read him also?

Oh, I did many years ago.. hm.. can't remember anything of it though so I guess I'm taking a trip to the library again. :D

Ishkabibble 06-26-2007 05:58 AM

I'm currently reading Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. Very captivating novel it is. :)
I've loved it so far!

Wanderlust 06-26-2007 08:36 AM

Unfortunately I am reading nothing at the moment. Has anyone got any suggestions on what I could read?

Methadrine 06-26-2007 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wanderlust
Unfortunately I am reading nothing at the moment. Has anyone got any suggestions on what I could read?

well, why not something with H.P Lovecraft? ;) The Omnibus collection, book 3, is what I'd start with since it contains the slightly less bizarre stories.

Redgauntlet 07-02-2007 08:18 PM

I have several Lovecraftian favorites: Colour Out Of Space, Shadow Over Innsmouth, Call Of Cthulhu, The Outsider, In The Vault, Case Of Charles Dexter Ward, Rats In the Wall, Haunter of the Dark, Imprisoned With The Pharoahs aka Under The Pyramid, and Dreams Of the Witch House.
As for Ambrose Bierce, my favorite is The Damned Thing, Occurance At Owl Creek Bridge, Inhabitant of Carcosa (a precursor to the King in Yellow stories by Robert W. Chambers), and a story (a title escapes me) that is written long before RASHOMON came out as a story and a movie by Kurosawa.

heretoday_gonetomorrow 07-03-2007 05:23 AM

The Dracula Tape

Story: A tape is found on which Dracula explains himself.

PutridLily 07-03-2007 12:32 PM

Sounds like Interview with the Vampire.

heretoday_gonetomorrow 07-03-2007 01:51 PM

Never read that book. I prefer the old German stories, this book happens to have a German author, so I thought it would be worth a try.

ShadowWolf 07-04-2007 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heretoday_gonetomorrow
Never read that book. I prefer the old German stories, this book happens to have a German author, so I thought it would be worth a try.

Actually it wa made into a movie a while ago...I enjoyed it, but I'm trying to track down the book at the moment.

She_Is_My_Sin 07-05-2007 08:45 AM

I just finished re-reading 'The Time Machine' by H.G Wells.

I always get a little bit frightened at his portrayal of the future.

Alaizabel Cray 07-05-2007 10:49 AM

"Memnoch the Devil" by Anne Rice. I'm addicted to her Vampire Chronicles.

Dark_love_2008 07-05-2007 11:24 AM

"The Stand" By Stephen King. I just finish "Swan Song" by Robbert R. McCammon before this.

Linen 07-05-2007 11:29 AM

21st Century Wicca

Lapin 07-05-2007 12:16 PM

"Scarlet Moon", a retelling of "Little Red Riding Hood"