Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

korinna5555 01-22-2008 10:37 AM

1. Darkwitch Rising (Sara Douglass)
2. The Picture of Dorian Gray AGAIN (Oscar Wilde)
3. Still trying at Finnegan's Wake (James Joyce)

L'Oiseau Noir 01-22-2008 11:24 AM

I'm actually in the process of reading Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen, for the second or so time. It's quite a funny book in my opinion, as I'm quite a sucker for sattire.

Catherine's just adorable, and so air-headed. Believing some abbey is grounds for supernatural activity and mystery because of a Gothic novel. :D

Slap Your Love 01-23-2008 11:04 AM

Just read Blood and gold and Blood canticle by Anee Rice.
Reading Queen of the Damned again now ofcourse also by Rice.

Frozeninside 01-23-2008 02:38 PM

Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams

Haex 01-24-2008 09:28 PM

Just finished 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?' by Philip K. Dick, in time for the re-release of 'Blade Runner' to Theatres.

Now reading 'Black Company', by Glen Cook.

Romantic Raven 01-30-2008 07:09 AM

I just finished "White Oleander", which is a great book. I read it in two days, I just couldn't put it down! It brought out the artistic inspiration I desperately needed. The film is also nice, I recommend it.

Crying_Crimson_Tears 01-30-2008 04:49 PM

I'm currently reading "Requiem for a Dream."

It's an interesting book. The author's style of writing is quite fascinating to me. The way he doesn't use quotation marks for conversation, and the way he uses slash marks when he writes things like he/s and she/s. I like it.

Malleus Maleficarum 01-31-2008 02:58 AM

His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman

BlkGothGrl 01-31-2008 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haex
Just finished 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?' by Philip K. Dick, in time for the re-release of 'Blade Runner' to Theatres.

Now reading 'Black Company', by Glen Cook.

Dick's work is great; how did you like it? And there's a re-release of Blade Runner? My husband is going to Lose His Natural Mind when I tell him! Thanks!

As for me, I'm re-reading "Dune" by Frank Herbert----the classics just don't get old.

Jaye Jang 02-02-2008 10:03 PM

"The Black Book of Secrets" by F.E. Higgins

Bella Sophia 02-02-2008 10:19 PM

I read a lot of different genres, but I need to read up on some goth literature... so I'm reading this giant book full of all of Edgar Allen Poe's stories. (currently reading the fall of the house of usher)

Does anyone have anymore suggestions?

dark_dragon_of_ice 02-02-2008 10:25 PM

I recommend the magic schoolbus.

Bella Sophia 02-02-2008 10:34 PM

o.o OH yes. Very goth.

Godslayer Jillian 02-02-2008 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bella Sophia
goth literature

No such thing.

dark_dragon_of_ice 02-02-2008 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
No such thing.

Thank the spaghetti monster someone said that.

Bella Sophia 02-02-2008 10:54 PM

I disagree.

Godslayer Jillian 02-02-2008 11:05 PM

Well, you'd be wrong. There's gothic literature, not goth literature which implies you're making a link between this campy music subculture and a literary form.
Now, this is just not splitting hairs. Gothic literature is bullshit. I can respect William Faulkner (who is the big talented guy in gothic literature, not Poe), but Gothic Literature is, simply put, plain old superfluous bullshit.
Gothic literature was the big thing in the nineteenth century. Every materialistic bourgeois wanted to read the new edition of Varney the Vampire. Gothic Literature was very detailed, but so was Transcendentalist literature which wasn't to please the masses. The only reason Edgar Allan Poe wrote horror fiction was because he had to make the living, and that was what everyone wanted. It's an insult to remember Edgar Allan Poe as a horror fiction writer and the epitome of gothic literature. He should be remembered because of his incomparable rhythm. He should be remembered for beginning the detective stories. He should be remember for being a proto-science fiction writer. Never because he wrote the occasional story that gave the standard Victorian a pleasant, well-known, done-to-death (no pun intended) chill down their conformist spine.
Edgar Allan Poe had more to do with Herman Melville than with Bram Stoker.

Bella Sophia 02-03-2008 07:05 AM

Gothic, it's what I meant. Sorry if I left off the "ic" at that end.

Godslayer Jillian 02-03-2008 11:44 AM

Yeah, but still. In any case, I just wanted to get that out. Gothic literature annoys me.

Bella Sophia 02-03-2008 11:59 AM

Ah, okie. I couldn't tell you whether it annoys me or not. I haven't read enough. Other than Poe, I've read Frankenstein. *shrugs* Oh well.

Tam Li Hua 02-03-2008 01:43 PM

Stephen King's The Stand. I'm trying to get through it so I can finish the Dark Tower series. I'm about half-way through, but I'm not sure I'm going to make it! ;___;

Jaye Jang 02-04-2008 04:21 AM

Bella Sophia,

Gothic would include Bram Stoker's Dracula, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, "Turn of the Screw"; poems by Lord Byron; anything by Ambrose Bierce.

Goth lit would include Poe, H.P. Lovecraft, Neil Gaiman, Zenna Henderson, anything on ghosts/haunted houses (Hans Holzer is a good place to start). Goth mangas and graphics are also good to check out, like Neil Gaiman's "Sandman" series, "Gloom Cookie" and "Bizenghast" (think I spelled it right) work, too. Good luck.

(Many moons ago, I worked in a library).

Romantic Raven 02-05-2008 07:06 AM

I finally finished reading "Beowulf" (translated, of course, though it probably wouldn't hurt to learn a bit of Old English). Right now I'm reading "The Canterbury Tales" (the original version), though I'm thinking of switching to the Modern English translation if I ever intend to finish it.

Darklight689 02-05-2008 11:16 AM

Beowulf is great. I always loved that story i need some ideas on some good books i read all the harry potter books, almost finished with the anne rice books. Hopefully i can find a good writer on the same level as they are. If anyone knows of one would be helpful.

tickingstitch 02-05-2008 12:00 PM

Everyone loves Poe