Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

TwistedFuck 07-10-2004 09:05 PM

What are you reading???

This is like the "What are you listening to" thread but with a twist.

What book are you readin right now???

I am reading Drawn Blood by Poppy Z. Brite

comatoast 07-11-2004 01:06 PM

R.A. Salvatore's Icewind Dale trilogy..again

Bodnoirbabe 07-11-2004 02:46 PM

oi

I could have sworn that we have a thread like this, but oh well.

I just finished reading the Inkeepers Song by Peter S. Beagle.

I'm curently reading Lost souls by Poppy Z. Brite. Great book.

Jane13 07-11-2004 03:58 PM

I just finished Interesting Times, by Terry Pratchet (hilarious!), and I am currently reading Dracula, Frankenstein, Alpha to Omega, and a book of slavic myths.

FenrisQueen 07-11-2004 05:46 PM

Does large amounts of manga count? Cause I've been reading a lot of that.But lately, I've been returning to the good 'ol Tamora Pierce books, which might be for teenagers but are phenomenally interesting. My mother also forced me to read the notebook, by Nicholas Sparks, which I actually enjoyed.
Hmmph.

Jane13 07-11-2004 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenrisQueen
Does large amounts of manga count? Cause I've been reading a lot of that.But lately, I've been returning to the good 'ol Tamora Pierce books, which might be for teenagers but are phenomenally interesting. My mother also forced me to read the notebook, by Nicholas Sparks, which I actually enjoyed.
Hmmph.

You sound like a friend of mine, who happens to be obsessed with fenris, or fenrir, and we also live in a redneck town. That's pretty cool.

akhira 07-11-2004 10:16 PM

The Bourne Identity - Robert LUdlum

The book not the movie

edible_eye 07-12-2004 06:20 AM

song of susannah (dark tower 6) by Stephen King.

- mark

secretboy 07-12-2004 01:21 PM

I swear there was, too, but I'm too lazy to go back and check and merge.

I'm currently reading Raymond Chandler Speaking - a collection of his letters and stuff.

ALso reading Prince of Ayodhya by Ashok K. Banker, a sort of horrorific retelling of the Ramayana. It's really good, but all the Indian/Sanskrit names and words get pretty confusing, making it a little hard to get to in places.

vmprbitch666 07-12-2004 02:03 PM

Books

I'm reading TWO books right now. That's a really big accomplishment for me, since I get confused so easily. :shock:
Through the Looking Glass: Lewis Carroll (I love how confused I get....I think..... :? )

Vittorio the Vampire: Anne Rice (I love Anne Rice, even if her books do drag on and on..... :( )

~Drusilla

Morpheus_Noctifer 07-12-2004 02:42 PM

I'm reading the Pro Caelio by Marcus Tullius Cicero for my Latin 401 class. For a legal argument, it's actually pretty funny, as he never discusses the case but instead attacks the character of the prosecution for 900 lines of painful to translate legal Latin.

Moon_Creature 07-12-2004 04:23 PM

I'm am starting to read "The Elric Saga Part I". It's this fantasy novel about this albino dude. So far, I rather like it.

ice 07-12-2004 07:41 PM

There was, but who cares now?

I'm reading a bunch of stuff...
Some stories from my The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe (which I unfortunately spilled a shitload of black ink all over >_<,
Some more stories, but this time from my The Clomplete Short Stories of Ambrose Bierce, Vol. II: The World of War and the World of Tall Tales,
and to make my threesome whole, I finished The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury.
-
To continue on in my... list:
Stalingrad, Memories and Reassessments,
Spies Beneath Berlin which is about Operation Stopwatch/Gold,
and Finally; The Forgotten Soldier, War on the Russian Front - A True Story.

Yep, that's what I'm reading bookwise these days...
other than that, I'm reading countless webcomics, and also some information from FAS.

--The end.
:roll:

black_fairy 07-13-2004 09:50 AM

What has happened with Recent reads thread????

I've just finished an Italian book, and I don't know its name in English.... :?
For those who know Spanish, it is named Los cien golpes. Translated to English it will be something like One hundred blows. It was written by Melissa P. (the surname doesn't appear).

Is about the diary of a teenager, Melissa, who explains her problems with boys, love and sex. I liked it a lot.

The_Crazy_Irishman 07-13-2004 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moon_Creature
I'm am starting to read "The Elric Saga Part I". It's this fantasy novel about this albino dude. So far, I rather like it.

By michael moorcock, right? I've read one of his books, but my local library doesn't seem to have any more f his work (even more reason to check out the other library nearby 8))

Bodnoirbabe 07-13-2004 01:01 PM

moo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jane13
I just finished Interesting Times, by Terry Pratchet (hilarious!),

If you enjoyed that book, i highly suggest reading Good Omens if you haven't already. It was co-written with Neil Gaimen (my favorite author) and is the most hilarious book i have ever read. It's about the apocolypse. A demon and an Angel decide they like the human race, so they try to prevent the apocolypse from taking place.

oh, did i mention i have really great breasts and would like to fuck everyone?

edible_eye 07-13-2004 10:08 PM

"oh, did i mention i have really great breasts and would like to fuck everyone?" - bodnoirbabe

since i've already been accused of being a pussy hound - allow me to say that statement would be perfect if we were just sitting around right now, drinking a few beers and passing the time with nothing more than small talk.

- mark

Bodnoirbabe 07-13-2004 11:55 PM

ha

lol. seems like we work well together. you be the pussy hound and I'll be the slut. Since i was accused of introducing myself like that, i figured i might as well make it true. I hate not living up to others expectations....

I've finished with Lost Souls (really good by the way, although, i dont think Christian deserved to get what he got) and I am about to start on Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett.

HerGhostInTheFog 07-14-2004 11:28 AM

a book on wicca....
it's called The Solitary Witch
I bought it at Ipso

HombreLobo 07-16-2004 12:45 PM

Wot M I reading_!

:D I just finish a book called "Tigana", by Guy Gabriel Kay, now Im reading Historias de Vampiros, short Histories by many famous writers_! :D

Disfunction 07-16-2004 12:51 PM

Please don't kill me for this... lol

Gerald's Game by Stephen King

I'm a fan.. lol

Jane13 07-16-2004 01:05 PM

Certainly no one here will kill you for reading ^.^

Absinthedream 07-19-2004 07:05 AM

Currently one is reading the dreaded summer reading;
The Scarlet Letter, by Nathaniel Hawthorne.
It is remarkably poor writing, and the only reason the school is having the students read it is because he was the only remotely appropriate American author of his time period.
Otherwise, one is tentatively beginning to read Jane Austen, and for relief one has the entire Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket.
^_____^ One simply adores Lemony Snicket. He is quite cynical and almost gothic. As for Terry Pratchett, one's favorite character is Death, if only for his humor, so it follows that one's favorite book is Hogfather.

RetroGoth_queen 07-19-2004 07:12 AM

Just read Germaine Greer's - The Female Enuch (feminist book)

Reading at the moment - Richard Neville - Hippy Hippy Shake (book about controversial magazine from london, by aussies: OZ Magazine. About the 60s, swinging london and the fight against censorship)

and Jim Keays - His Masters Voice (A recount of the events encountered by famous Aussie band The Masters Apprentices)

Bodnoirbabe 07-19-2004 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Absinthedream
Otherwise, one is tentatively beginning to read Jane Austen, and for relief one has the entire Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket.
^_____^ One simply adores Lemony Snicket. .

I love jane austin. My favorite of heres is Pride and Prejudice. It so funny.

I've seen that book before, Series of unfortunate events. It looked really funny. does this Lemony snickett fellow have any more good books?

Oh and Dysfunction, Geralds Game is one of my favorite books by Stephen king, so if you're not cool, I'm not cool. :D and neither is edible eye, for that matter. He's a die hard Stephen king fan....