Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

Delkaetre 12-08-2007 01:08 PM

SPQR Blues by Klio
Tis a webcomic, but it's a good one. You might like it, silverball, as it's pretty historically accurate, set in Ancient Rome not long after Caligula.

Methadrine 12-08-2007 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverbaal
I've been on a Buffyverse diet for a long time, so i've been reading all of the graphic novels for season 8. I can't remember the name of the artist. But this dude or gal is so much better than the earlier artist. The earlier work made the cast look like a bunch of cartoon characters.

Mmmm, Buffyverse... If you haven't already, check out Firefly. Both the TV-series and the adjoining comics. A new issue was announced a couple of days ago.

Godslayer Jillian 12-08-2007 01:31 PM

Rorschach convinced me, I'm reading The Idiot.
Steal This Book is just a manual anyway, I can go back to reading it again without getting lost.

Crying_Crimson_Tears 12-08-2007 01:32 PM

I am now reading yet another Jodi Picoult book.

It's called "Nineteen Minutes" and it's about a school shooting in a small town. It's very good.

silverbaal 12-08-2007 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delkaetre
SPQR Blues by Klio
Tis a webcomic, but it's a good one. You might like it, silverball, as it's pretty historically accurate, set in Ancient Rome not long after Caligula.

Ahh. I think i'm in love. Graphic novel + ancient times. Two worlds collide. I'm gonna check this out.

And thanks Meth. I didn't know there was a Firefly graphic novel o_0. I'm checking this out, too.

silverbaal 12-08-2007 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delkaetre
SPQR Blues by Klio

Do you have the link? I can't find it on google.

Delkaetre 12-08-2007 01:42 PM

http://www.spqrblues.com/
hope it's useful/interesting/enjoyable for you.

HumanePain 12-09-2007 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Rorschach convinced me, I'm reading The Idiot.
Steal This Book is just a manual anyway, I can go back to reading it again without getting lost.

Haha! I had that book by Abbie Hoffman but someone ...stole it.
Some of it is obsolete nowadays, for example he describes how to make free phone calls from a pay phone. What's a pay phone? O_o

:D

Godslayer Jillian 12-09-2007 12:26 PM

We still have them in Mexico, and you can still call operators. They work! But scamming phone booths is cheap.:P

An Eccentric Cellist 12-09-2007 12:44 PM

There are such things as pay phones! Shocking I know! Anyways I think the most interesting ting I've seen in a while is a pay bathroom.

I'm reading Kushiel's Justice by J. Carey. It's the fifth book in the series and I'm reading as slow as possible because I want to draw it out as long as possible.

jestercel85 12-09-2007 08:58 PM

As of right now the books I am either reading or have put on hold in the middle are "Frankenstein", "Forbidden Fruit: Psalms of a Black Master", "Ancestor's Tale", "Androphilia" and if starting it at Borders and having to put it down for lack of time counts "Satan Speaks", which I plan to return to at Borders probably tomorrow lol.

Cain 12-10-2007 03:06 AM

I'm reading Cella Serghi's "Mirona". You may not have heard of her unless you happen to be romanian.. Anyway, the novel reminds me of "Jane Eyre". So far, i'm really enjoying it.

bloody mary 12-13-2007 08:35 AM

mmmm totally lost in the mists of ravenloft , currently under the spell of vampire of the mists (by christy gonden )

Born Again 12-13-2007 12:04 PM

"Pride & Prejudice" by Jane Austen

Xombie 12-16-2007 12:00 PM

I'm reading "Penny Dreadful" by Will Christopher Baer for the third time. :]

Steppenwolf 12-17-2007 02:39 AM

"On the Road" Jack Kerouac

angelnoir 12-17-2007 01:24 PM

I'm reading "The Husband" by Dean Koontz

Luthian 12-17-2007 09:55 PM

I have been reading (for over a year now) For Your Own Good. I forget the subtext at the moment, but the book is a must for angry smokers.

It is non-fiction and lays out the history of smoking, prohibitions and endorsements from various governments, and the process by which most anti-smoking groups get their (desired) results.

It really is an interesting book thus far.

A book I recommend for dorks (such as myself) is The History of Video Games, which details the beginning of various groups and game houses from the turn of the century to 2001. It is an older book (obviously) but a fun read and/or reference guide.

Happy Reading!

I do not, however, recommend Wicked. I thought the book was good up to about halfway... then it descended into absolute tripe. This is just my opinion.

Duane 12-17-2007 09:59 PM

Right now, I'm reading some stuff written by Mystery, the Pick Up Artist.

clockworkcoffin 12-17-2007 11:17 PM

wyvern by a.a. attanasio

††BlackRose†† 12-21-2007 07:49 PM

I just read Bizenghast, the first manga. I love the drawings in it!!! They are soooo beautiful!!!!! I want to try to get the other ones, but I doubt the library has anymore. *sigh*

jestercel85 12-21-2007 08:26 PM

I just started the first book in the Otherland series, fucking awesome books. I am already nearly halfway through the nearly one thousand pages and only been reading for like two days. Can't wait to get into the second one.

prophecyofdoom 12-21-2007 11:08 PM

'Round here at the local dump they have a free book library and you can take home 15 free books a day... And my mother DOES.. There are little piles of books all over the house, and if I happen to pick up one and read a single line, by some quirk of my nature I have to read the ENTIRE book.. So yeah, I'm always reading something random... Right now it's Father Melancholy's Daughter by Gail Godwin, about the life of a girl who's mother dies and her father suffers from depression.

Poisongrl 12-30-2007 06:29 PM

Just finished Invisible Monsters by Palahnuik and Am reading Paris Spleen- Baudelaire, The Sweet Far Thing -Libba Bray and a paperback by Barry Lyga on a whim.

Xombie 12-30-2007 06:30 PM

The Zen Of Zombie by Scott Kenemore. Oh, the knowledge I will gain by beginning my journey into the dull-witted brains of zombies.