Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

Godslayer Jillian 04-05-2008 07:44 PM

Radio Free Dixie, the story of Robert F. Williams, by Timothy B. Tyson

L'Oiseau Noir 04-07-2008 05:55 AM

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

It's such a good book; I've always had a soft spot for Japanese history. And the life of a Geisha is quite an interesting story, to boot. The things they had to go through... the poor girls. I would have died if it had been me.

CrimsonPythonidae 04-08-2008 04:46 PM

I just finished Vanity Fair, by William Makepeace Thackery and am currently reading Dracula

raggedyanne 04-08-2008 05:43 PM

I just finished re-reading Lo.li.ta. Does anyone else find it a bit strange how he changes his opinion of Lo's mother halfway through?

Paigeybobert 04-08-2008 09:23 PM

How The Universe Got Its Spots - Janna Levin

ThreeEyesOni 04-09-2008 06:57 PM

101 People Who Are Really Screwing America (and Bernard Goldberg is only #73) by Jack Huberman

I'm also checking out Bitten by Kelly Armstrong, mostly because I saw a commercial for her newest book (Bitten is her first in the series) and I tend to like books in the supernatural-modern-times books to a certain extend (see Southern Vampire and Anita Blake book lines).

††BlackRose†† 04-10-2008 05:30 PM

I have to read King Lear for English class.

I need a good book to read. I don't know what to read, though.

Cen0bite 04-13-2008 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreeEyesOni

I'm also checking out Bitten by Kelly Armstrong, mostly because I saw a commercial for her newest book (Bitten is her first in the series) and I tend to like books in the supernatural-modern-times books to a certain extend (see Southern Vampire and Anita Blake book lines).

I almost checked out Bitten today. Could you tell me how it is after you've read it?

And i'm currently reading Life, Sex, and Ideas: The Good Life without God
The Goth Bible
and..The Long Hard Road Out of Hell by Marilyn Manson.
Yeah, i know the last 2 together sound bad. lol.

Murasaki eyeliner 04-16-2008 12:31 PM

petshop of horrors vol4

Opteron_Man 04-16-2008 07:16 PM

I'm reading a novel called THE 81ST SITE by Tony Kenrick. Hey it's not Goth but it is an excellent read. I picked a copy up at a used book stand at the mall and I loved that copy. Unfortunately, that copy was falling apart. I bought a fresh copy from Amazon. That book is a real thriller, full of stuff to keep you on the edge of you seats. If you want a copy, I scanned the falling apart one and made a PDF of it. If you want it, give me an email address and I'll send it to you. I bought the book twice so I'm no fucking leach! So don't call me a pirate or whatever.

††BlackRose†† 04-16-2008 08:25 PM

Books like that are really interesting. I'll keep an eye out for it. At the moment I'm re-reading The Catcher in the Rye.

Johnny Gnar Gnar 04-17-2008 10:32 PM

Anton Chekhov's Complete Plays. It also has his short stories and essays in it. I am an English nerd, this I know. I have wayyy to many books I'm in the middle of, but somehow it helps keep things fresh.

DarkenedReveries 04-24-2008 10:44 AM

If you could only see the piles upon piles of books I need to read before I die. It's insanity. At the moment, I am reading The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower by Stephen King, Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris, and I'm just finishing Tale of the Body Thief by Anne Rice. I will start Memnoch the Devil soon after, as well as perhaps The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffeneggar, and Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer if I can get my hands on it somehow.

Does anyone else read the Twilight Series? I was skeptical at first, but was shocked to find it to be literary crack. They're not even written that well, but somehow I devour them like the Harry Potter series (which also are not exactly genius). Is it just me?

HumanePain 04-24-2008 08:00 PM

The Fifth Book of Poems by Joseph Tuccio. And it's autographed.
:)

badteccy 04-26-2008 12:26 PM

I'm reading a bunch of stuff right now.
I'm still reading "Rip It Up", I'm also reading The Complete Works of Flannery O' Conor and this book and Arabic love poetry, which is neat because it has the original poem in arabic and the translations...but I hate love poetry.

Tea and Cake or Death 04-26-2008 10:12 PM

currently I am reading the Gothic.net boards

Cen0bite 04-26-2008 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkenedReveries
Does anyone else read the Twilight Series? I was skeptical at first, but was shocked to find it to be literary crack. They're not even written that well, but somehow I devour them like the Harry Potter series (which also are not exactly genius). Is it just me?

It's being made into a movie.
I actually had it requested from the library but checked reviews and after that it didn't seem worth reading.

xParadigmx 05-01-2008 12:27 PM

the complete works fo allen ginsberg? anyway, he was this old gay poet who dies in '97. he has some really good stuff in there.

L'Oiseau Noir 05-01-2008 01:40 PM

I'm presently reading The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.

Afterwards, I plan to read Dark of the Sun by Chelsea Quinn Tarbro, Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman, and American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

acidxrainbows 05-02-2008 08:31 PM

Dracula by Bram Stoker.
Difficult to understand in a few parts but overall fabulous.

Rammsteinpoet 05-04-2008 12:00 AM

Dandelion Through the Crack by Kiyo Sato

Breathless Horror 05-04-2008 11:37 AM

Call of Cthulhu and Other Wierd Stories by H.P. Lovecraft

...it's trying to shatter my mind XD

Cen0bite 05-04-2008 01:14 PM

Circus of the Damned by Laurell K Hamilton
The Hellbound Heart
The Inhuman Condition (both by Clive Barker)

Mir 05-04-2008 01:57 PM

For all that do a lot of travelling and can't carry books around for whatever reason, check out the audio book section on Gutenberg.

Currently listening to: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/20677

Shelley/Stoker 05-04-2008 04:52 PM

Just finished reading Nausea by Jean Paul Sartre.
Interesting existentialist ideas.