Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

Sir Canvas Corpsey 01-05-2009 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roserougesang
I'm currently reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

I recommend it highly. :)

I was just about to post the exact same thing.

Alarica 01-05-2009 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice
Aside from Diary, Haunted was the shittiest book he's written thus far. Next time I'd suggest Invisible Monsters, Lullaby, or Choke.

Cheers for that. Will have a look next time I'm in town. Have to say though, I am enjoying Haunted so far.

Pineapple_Juice 01-05-2009 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alarica
Cheers for that. Will have a look next time I'm in town. Have to say though, I am enjoying Haunted so far.

Eh, to each his own I suppose. The only bits I thought were interesting involved the pool and the foot jobs. After that I had to have copious amounts of tea and a full 9 hours of sleep any time I wanted to read it and stay awake. Dunno how far you've gotten though.

Gothing 01-07-2009 04:58 PM

this morning I am beginning to read The Ghost Writer by John Harwood.
I hope this one is good enough to read. I feel some gothic emotions in this book.

JCC 01-11-2009 05:07 AM

I just finished reading '******'. I'm currently reading 'Lonesome Traveler' by Kerouac, which I'm probably going to give up on because it's as impenetrable and annoying as Desolation Angels. I'm going to start reading 'Madame Bovary' by Gustave Flaubert soon.

Maxim_Macabre 01-11-2009 05:21 AM

I'm currently reading "The Fist of God" by Frederick Forsyth, again.

Apathy's_Child 01-11-2009 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCC
I just finished reading '******'. I'm currently reading 'Lonesome Traveler' by Kerouac, which I'm probably going to give up on because it's as impenetrable and annoying as Desolation Angels. I'm going to start reading 'Madame Bovary' by Gustave Flaubert soon.

I hate that you're forever devouring stuff I didn't find until a few years after you. Makes me feel like I wasted my teenage years.

mindless1 01-11-2009 05:51 AM

Brother Odd by Dean Koontz

Devil's Darling 01-11-2009 10:53 AM

P.Coelho - The Devil and Miss Prym
Well actually i'm reading it in romanian and I don't know if it has the same title in english but eh...i tried.
Romanian : P.Coelho - Diavolul si Domnisoara Prym

Daegonna Nocturnus 01-11-2009 10:57 AM

Faust by Goethe :)

Alarica 01-15-2009 11:15 AM

I bought 'Anna Karenina' today. Will get stuck in later on.

All Shall Be Judged 01-17-2009 03:04 AM

The Judge is currently perusing Journey to the End of the Night, by Louis-Ferdinand Céline.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child
I hate that you're forever devouring stuff I didn't find until a few years after you. Makes me feel like I wasted my teenage years.

"Son, you're 22 years old and you're spending your Saturday afternoon in bed with a girl. You're wasting your life."

Mir 01-17-2009 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xombie
That's a lie. If you really didn't like Twilight, you wouldn't even waste your time on the sequel.

You want to know what a bigger waste of time is? Ragging on people who have, or are currently reading Twilight.

Re-reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain.

PinstripesAndPithHelmets 01-17-2009 06:15 AM

I'm finishing Ender's Shadow. It's quite good.

a morbid curiosity 01-17-2009 11:52 AM

L.olita by Vladimir Nabokov... but I'm doing a lot more writing than reading at present.

Vivi 01-18-2009 05:14 AM

Im reading Dracula for the first time ever. I adore this book and im only halfway through. Its sure to become one of my favorites.

Disaffected Shoelaces 01-22-2009 12:09 PM

The Devils by Dostoyevsky.

HumanePain 01-23-2009 06:37 PM

Memoirs of the Crusades - Villehardouin De Joinville

Wow...you think we have problems with the religious right now, back then they were religious right, left and center! Abandon your farm where you at least had food, march on foot thousands of miles (if you lasted that long) and die to leave your bones in the desert just because a pope got up and told you to do it or you would go to hell. And if you lived long enough to get there, you fight the infidels (yes, the Christians called the Muslims that!) giving them the choice to convert to Christianity, or die. Jesus obviously would not approve. Talk about high pressure sales!

MegearaErotica 01-24-2009 08:31 AM

Coraline- Neil Gaiman
Heard about the movie coming out here in the U.S. and wanted to be able to compare them them to one another.

ArtificialOne 01-24-2009 10:02 AM

Guilty: Liberal victims and their assault on America.

Very funny with lots of statistics.

dbloke 01-25-2009 09:29 AM

Have just finished Matheson's I am Legend and now reading Bram Stoker's Dracula

Tam Li Hua 01-26-2009 12:37 PM

I'm on the third book in V. C. Andrew's "Dollanger" series, If There Be Thorns.

It's not the best literature I've ever read, but I just can't stop reading! I'm going through a book every couple of days! They're like crack and an impending train wreck at the same time. XD

MegearaErotica 01-26-2009 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua
I'm on the third book in V. C. Andrew's "Dollanger" series, If There Be Thorns.

It's not the best literature I've ever read, but I just can't stop reading! I'm going through a book every couple of days! They're like crack and an impending train wreck at the same time. XD

You spelled Dollanganger wrong, and it's true that she's not the best writer... but at least it's not Twilight.

Godslayer Jillian 01-26-2009 06:15 PM

Emergence: From Unpredictability to Self-Organization, by Achim Stephan

I'm taking a whole seminar class on this philosophical issue of Emergence. I finally feel I'm in college!

Ethawyn 01-28-2009 09:21 AM

so am i............. though i wish i was back in those times so no one despises us...............ignore and forget.............forgive..............