Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

TwistedFuck 07-10-2004 09:05 PM

What are you reading???

This is like the "What are you listening to" thread but with a twist.

What book are you readin right now???

I am reading Drawn Blood by Poppy Z. Brite

comatoast 07-11-2004 01:06 PM

R.A. Salvatore's Icewind Dale trilogy..again

Bodnoirbabe 07-11-2004 02:46 PM

oi

I could have sworn that we have a thread like this, but oh well.

I just finished reading the Inkeepers Song by Peter S. Beagle.

I'm curently reading Lost souls by Poppy Z. Brite. Great book.

Jane13 07-11-2004 03:58 PM

I just finished Interesting Times, by Terry Pratchet (hilarious!), and I am currently reading Dracula, Frankenstein, Alpha to Omega, and a book of slavic myths.

FenrisQueen 07-11-2004 05:46 PM

Does large amounts of manga count? Cause I've been reading a lot of that.But lately, I've been returning to the good 'ol Tamora Pierce books, which might be for teenagers but are phenomenally interesting. My mother also forced me to read the notebook, by Nicholas Sparks, which I actually enjoyed.
Hmmph.

Jane13 07-11-2004 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenrisQueen
Does large amounts of manga count? Cause I've been reading a lot of that.But lately, I've been returning to the good 'ol Tamora Pierce books, which might be for teenagers but are phenomenally interesting. My mother also forced me to read the notebook, by Nicholas Sparks, which I actually enjoyed.
Hmmph.

You sound like a friend of mine, who happens to be obsessed with fenris, or fenrir, and we also live in a redneck town. That's pretty cool.

akhira 07-11-2004 10:16 PM

The Bourne Identity - Robert LUdlum

The book not the movie

edible_eye 07-12-2004 06:20 AM

song of susannah (dark tower 6) by Stephen King.

- mark

secretboy 07-12-2004 01:21 PM

I swear there was, too, but I'm too lazy to go back and check and merge.

I'm currently reading Raymond Chandler Speaking - a collection of his letters and stuff.

ALso reading Prince of Ayodhya by Ashok K. Banker, a sort of horrorific retelling of the Ramayana. It's really good, but all the Indian/Sanskrit names and words get pretty confusing, making it a little hard to get to in places.

vmprbitch666 07-12-2004 02:03 PM

Books

I'm reading TWO books right now. That's a really big accomplishment for me, since I get confused so easily. :shock:
Through the Looking Glass: Lewis Carroll (I love how confused I get....I think..... :? )

Vittorio the Vampire: Anne Rice (I love Anne Rice, even if her books do drag on and on..... :( )

~Drusilla

Morpheus_Noctifer 07-12-2004 02:42 PM

I'm reading the Pro Caelio by Marcus Tullius Cicero for my Latin 401 class. For a legal argument, it's actually pretty funny, as he never discusses the case but instead attacks the character of the prosecution for 900 lines of painful to translate legal Latin.

Moon_Creature 07-12-2004 04:23 PM

I'm am starting to read "The Elric Saga Part I". It's this fantasy novel about this albino dude. So far, I rather like it.

ice 07-12-2004 07:41 PM

There was, but who cares now?

I'm reading a bunch of stuff...
Some stories from my The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe (which I unfortunately spilled a shitload of black ink all over >_<,
Some more stories, but this time from my The Clomplete Short Stories of Ambrose Bierce, Vol. II: The World of War and the World of Tall Tales,
and to make my threesome whole, I finished The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury.
-
To continue on in my... list:
Stalingrad, Memories and Reassessments,
Spies Beneath Berlin which is about Operation Stopwatch/Gold,
and Finally; The Forgotten Soldier, War on the Russian Front - A True Story.

Yep, that's what I'm reading bookwise these days...
other than that, I'm reading countless webcomics, and also some information from FAS.

--The end.
:roll:

black_fairy 07-13-2004 09:50 AM

What has happened with Recent reads thread????

I've just finished an Italian book, and I don't know its name in English.... :?
For those who know Spanish, it is named Los cien golpes. Translated to English it will be something like One hundred blows. It was written by Melissa P. (the surname doesn't appear).

Is about the diary of a teenager, Melissa, who explains her problems with boys, love and sex. I liked it a lot.

The_Crazy_Irishman 07-13-2004 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moon_Creature
I'm am starting to read "The Elric Saga Part I". It's this fantasy novel about this albino dude. So far, I rather like it.

By michael moorcock, right? I've read one of his books, but my local library doesn't seem to have any more f his work (even more reason to check out the other library nearby 8))

Bodnoirbabe 07-13-2004 01:01 PM

moo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jane13
I just finished Interesting Times, by Terry Pratchet (hilarious!),

If you enjoyed that book, i highly suggest reading Good Omens if you haven't already. It was co-written with Neil Gaimen (my favorite author) and is the most hilarious book i have ever read. It's about the apocolypse. A demon and an Angel decide they like the human race, so they try to prevent the apocolypse from taking place.

oh, did i mention i have really great breasts and would like to fuck everyone?

edible_eye 07-13-2004 10:08 PM

"oh, did i mention i have really great breasts and would like to fuck everyone?" - bodnoirbabe

since i've already been accused of being a pussy hound - allow me to say that statement would be perfect if we were just sitting around right now, drinking a few beers and passing the time with nothing more than small talk.

- mark

Bodnoirbabe 07-13-2004 11:55 PM

ha

lol. seems like we work well together. you be the pussy hound and I'll be the slut. Since i was accused of introducing myself like that, i figured i might as well make it true. I hate not living up to others expectations....

I've finished with Lost Souls (really good by the way, although, i dont think Christian deserved to get what he got) and I am about to start on Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett.

HerGhostInTheFog 07-14-2004 11:28 AM

a book on wicca....
it's called The Solitary Witch
I bought it at Ipso

HombreLobo 07-16-2004 12:45 PM

Wot M I reading_!

:D I just finish a book called "Tigana", by Guy Gabriel Kay, now Im reading Historias de Vampiros, short Histories by many famous writers_! :D

Disfunction 07-16-2004 12:51 PM

Please don't kill me for this... lol

Gerald's Game by Stephen King

I'm a fan.. lol

Jane13 07-16-2004 01:05 PM

Certainly no one here will kill you for reading ^.^

Absinthedream 07-19-2004 07:05 AM

Currently one is reading the dreaded summer reading;
The Scarlet Letter, by Nathaniel Hawthorne.
It is remarkably poor writing, and the only reason the school is having the students read it is because he was the only remotely appropriate American author of his time period.
Otherwise, one is tentatively beginning to read Jane Austen, and for relief one has the entire Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket.
^_____^ One simply adores Lemony Snicket. He is quite cynical and almost gothic. As for Terry Pratchett, one's favorite character is Death, if only for his humor, so it follows that one's favorite book is Hogfather.

RetroGoth_queen 07-19-2004 07:12 AM

Just read Germaine Greer's - The Female Enuch (feminist book)

Reading at the moment - Richard Neville - Hippy Hippy Shake (book about controversial magazine from london, by aussies: OZ Magazine. About the 60s, swinging london and the fight against censorship)

and Jim Keays - His Masters Voice (A recount of the events encountered by famous Aussie band The Masters Apprentices)

Bodnoirbabe 07-19-2004 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Absinthedream
Otherwise, one is tentatively beginning to read Jane Austen, and for relief one has the entire Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket.
^_____^ One simply adores Lemony Snicket. .

I love jane austin. My favorite of heres is Pride and Prejudice. It so funny.

I've seen that book before, Series of unfortunate events. It looked really funny. does this Lemony snickett fellow have any more good books?

Oh and Dysfunction, Geralds Game is one of my favorite books by Stephen king, so if you're not cool, I'm not cool. :D and neither is edible eye, for that matter. He's a die hard Stephen king fan....

Absinthedream 07-19-2004 02:43 PM

Lemony... lemon!

Sadly, Lemony Snicket is his pen name and very little is known about him, as he seems to avoid all contact with the press actively. Even his editor is not really sure what he looks like; there are no photos, either. He is an enigma, and all that he has published under the name of Snicket have been the Unauthorized Biography of Lemony Snicket and the series. One simply adores the name of his biography.
This is the first sentence of the summary on the back of the first book:
"Dear Reader,
I'm sorry to say that this book you are holding in your hands is extremely unpleasant..."
And this is the last sentence:
"It is my sad duty to write down these unpleasant tales, but there is nothing stopping you from putting this book down at once and reading something happy, if you prefer that sort of thing.
With all due respect,
Lemony Snicket."
If one posted any more of the jacket or any text within the book, she would probably be sued dramatically, and since one is a penniless student, one tries to avoid that sort of unhappy end.
Anyways, one is immensely relieved to discover that there are ladies other than her mother who enjoy Jane Austen, and now picks it up with greater cheer than one did the last time.
Cheerio.

Zeade 07-19-2004 03:36 PM

erm... i've read an interview from lemony snicket in nick magazine forever ago... yes... kiddie magazine, but what else is a girl to read at the air port?

anyways.... here's my list of current reading material:

"The Raven and Other Poems" by Edgar Allen Poe
"The Talisman" by Stephen King and Peter Straub (love this book)
"Ghost Story" by Peter Straub
"1984" by George Orwell (love this book)
"Tales from Moominvalley" by Tove Jansson (a kids book, but i love this one also... lol)
"All the Old Haunts" by Chris Lynch
"Black House" by Stephen King and Peter Straub
"A Parent's Guide to Teens and Cults" by Larry E. Dumont, M.D. and Richanrd I. Altesman, M.D. (heh... just for shits and giggles)
"Famous Tales of Mystery and Horror" by Edgar Allen Poe
Vol. 7 of the InuYasha manga... (just have to read it because of miroku...)
"Across the Nightinggale Floor" by Lian Hearn (wonderful book... totally recomend it for some light reading)
"Mason & Dixon" by Thomas Pynchon (for educational puposes)
"The Long Hard Road out of Hell" by Marilyn Manson
"'Salem's Lot" by Stephen King

as if you couldn't tell, i have a short attention span, and switch from book to book as i feel i need to... ^_^ summer so sucks when out of school...

oh, yeah, btw... stephen king is kick ass...

Jane13 07-19-2004 06:31 PM

Quote:

I just finished Interesting Times, by Terry Pratchet (hilarious!), and I am currently reading Dracula, Frankenstein, Alpha to Omega, and a book of slavic myths.

I can now add The Strange Case of Dr. Jeckil and Mr. Hyde and other short stories and a book of poetry by Lord Byron to that list. My friend comes home from a job at a summer camp every weekend and we hang out at the bookstore.

HombreLobo 07-20-2004 12:50 PM

What em I reading!

Currently I fund a book called: *gothe* The black book by J Papini and sems to be good...

The_Crazy_Irishman 07-20-2004 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeade

brilliant book, better than animal farm I think, shame practically no one near me has heard of it

charlottesometimes 07-20-2004 03:13 PM

I've just finished rereading "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. I'm about to start "On Writing" by Stephen King which is about about... well... writing.

Jane13 07-20-2004 04:58 PM

I like your screenname, Charlottesometimes. That song rocks.

The_Crazy_Irishman 07-21-2004 11:29 AM

Quote:

I like your screenname, Charlottesometimes. That song rocks.

It most certainly does :D

As to what I'm reading, well I'm reading at the moment H.P. Lovecraft: Call of Cthulhu and other weird stories (least I think it's that one). Then it'll be Science Fiction stories by Edgar Allen Poe, and finally (at least for the moment) It's the Swords of Night and Day by David Gemmel

FireGaze 07-22-2004 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Crazy_Irishman
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeade

brilliant book, better than animal farm I think, shame practically no one near me has heard of it

I personally didn't like Animal Farm at all, and that's made me reluctant to read 1984. Animal Farm probably went completely over my head because my teacher made me read it in fifth grade... I was in "gifted" so she figured I would get it even though I was 10 or 11 :roll: . I will re-read it someday when I'm older.

Currently reading: Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, Orlando by Virginia Woolf and Arthur Gordon Pym by Edgar Allen Poe.

Loy 07-26-2004 10:18 PM

Just finished "Auto Da Fe".

Fuck you Canetti, for stealing my idea for a novel 90 years ago!!!

DelicateHorror 07-27-2004 06:29 AM

I'm currently reading Great Horror Stories and internet versions of Animal Farm and Dracula. They're good but somehow nothing beats actually holding the paper in your hands. Besides it makes my eyes hurt. Alot.

Oh and FireGaze; 1984 is fucking brilliant. It's my favourite book but thats a personal opinion and I'll leave you to make your own.

The_Crazy_Irishman 07-27-2004 06:50 AM

Yeah, i find that I cannot read large amounts of text on a screen, does anyone know why this is. I also like the weight of a book, to me it just feels right

... Dear God I need to get out more :roll:

Jane13 07-27-2004 05:29 PM

I know how you feel, Crazy-Irishman. An average day this summer for me involves studying my German, reading, studying Japanese Kana, treadmill, playing guitar, and the internet. I'm not complaining though, because that's what I like to do... I know some kids that are forced by their parents to do some of my things. I guess that makes me a geek or something.

black_fairy 08-02-2004 10:01 AM

The City Of The Beasts, by Isabel Allende (The tittle is a translation of mine... The autor writes in Spanish.)

Tenebris 08-02-2004 10:20 AM

I am re-reading Chekhov's "The Three Sisters". It's amazing. Things come to the brink of working out OK, but then everything falls apart and ends in utter misery.

anti_everything 08-02-2004 10:43 AM

[quote="charlottesometimes"]I've just finished rereading "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.[quote]

Ah! I can't find that damn book anywhere...grr :evil:

I'm reading Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett and I'm in the middle of rereading the fifth Harry Potter book (yep, I'm a big dork) but I let someone borrow it and need to get it back to finish it.

Tenebris 08-02-2004 11:34 AM

I absolutely love Terry Pratchett. Good Omens can be really hard to find in regular bookstores, which is why I had to get my copy online. Amazon is a good place to look, and I've had very good experiences with the people who sell used books through their site.

OnMyOwn 08-02-2004 11:38 AM

Well I am almost finished reading Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice. Im slowly reading The Vampire Chronicles. I dont have alot of time to read so I usually do it before I go to bed or there is no electricity(yes even at night with a little flashlight and candles).

comatoast 08-02-2004 09:55 PM

I am reading A way to measure time-contemporary finnish literature...eh..I picked it up at a yard sale

also picked up some clive barker stuff that I will get around to reading soon

Morpheus_Noctifer 08-02-2004 11:06 PM

I'm almost finished with The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl. This amazingly fast-paced, well-written book is set in Boston 1865 where a series of murders based on Dante's Inferno grip the city and only Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Oliver Wendell Holmes, J.T. Fields, and James Russell Lowell (who are working on the first American-made translation of the Commedia) can solve them. It's a pretty expensive paperback ($13.95!), but then again, I date myself by saying that I can remember when paperbacks were under $5.

I highly recommend this book to mystery fans, Dante fans, or fans of a good story.

DelicateHorror 08-03-2004 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by black_fairy
The City Of The Beasts, by Isabel Allende (The tittle is a translation of mine... The autor writes in Spanish.)

I've read an English version of this I think. Is it the one where the guy goes to the Amazon with his Grandma?

black_fairy 08-03-2004 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DelicateHorror
Quote:

Originally Posted by black_fairy

I've read an English version of this I think. Is it the one where the guy goes to the Amazon with his Grandma?

Yes, it is. Now I'm reading the second part, The Kingdom Of The Golden Dragon, or something like that.... In it, the 'guy' goes with his grandmother and his friend Nadia to the Himalaya (it's correct so???).

pitseleh 08-03-2004 01:08 PM

This postal service-working summer I've been reading Glamorama, by Bret Easton Ellis, Ernest Hemingway's For Whom The Bell Tolls, brilliant rebel writer Jens Björneboe's '55 book Jonas, and currently, as an inbetweener, Band Of Brothers by Stephen E Ambrose.

Loy 08-03-2004 01:23 PM

Pitseleh-Do you know if there's any way for us ugly americans to get any Bjorneboe with a decent translation? I read one story and it seemed that the translation was a bit off (made Jens sound like low-end Knut Hamsun).

Ah, and I haven't said this before, but I dig the Sleater-Kinney picture

pitseleh 08-03-2004 02:10 PM

I feel so sorry for you... :cry: The only available Björneboe material in English is his 1970 play Amputations, along with a bunch of poems. Hopefully there will be more translated works in time, as he was an author of razor-sharp intellect that needs to have a wider audience.

[And, yeah, dig Sleater-Kinney!]

Here's one of the poems that have been translated.

Ten Commandments for a Young Man Who Wants to Get Ahead
Translated by Esther Greenleaf Mürer

I
The first commandment's easy, quite:
The majority is always right.

II
Always think what folk will say.
Side with the strongest, day by day.

III
When in doubt, just shut your trap
Until you see for whom they clap.

IV
Think what opinions you should hold.
Alone, you'll be out in the cold.

V
Don't give your lofty instincts rein,
But stick to what will bring you gain.

VI
Tell people what they want to hear;
Move quietly through every sphere.
(For truth brings sorrow on your head,
While daily lies earn daily bread.)

VII
Never walk upright. Sidle forth
And warm yourself at every hearth.

VIII
Praise everybody to the skies;
A flock of friends will be your prize.
(This in-group paradise will be
Your best insurance policy.)

IX
Of gossip save up every bit
For your superiors' benefit.
(But not a hint from the consumer
Should reach the subject of the rumor.)

X
If you this last commandment heed,
Then your future's guaranteed:
Boldly espouse each cause in season,
But always act with prudent reason.
Stride bravely forward in life's war
One hour before your time—no more!

Some editing required, as I found there were indeed more novels in English translation available: The History of Bestiality trilogy, which consists of Moment Of Freedom, Powderhouse and Silence. The centrepiece of his volume of work, if you will. Highly recommendable. Also the novel Sharks. More plays as well: Semmelweis and The Bird Lovers. Additionally, his essays on anarchism, Degrees Of Freedom, can be found. Sorry for the misinformation. I didn't know there were that many!