Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

Methadrine 11-26-2007 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delkaetre
Robinson Crusoe
Part of my Enlightenment course. We're doing Frankenstein next.

Sweet, two of my favourite books. Especially the first one, oddly enough. :cool: Makes me want to re-read it, again...

silverbaal 11-26-2007 09:09 AM

Any article I can find on Nazi Germany. My current google search terms are Nazi +: Sex, Sex Slave, Sadism, Masochism, Fashion, Fetishism, Blacks etc etc. It's all very fascinating. Disheartening, too...But that comes with the territory. I've been reading up on the comfort houses (brothels), homosexuality, and various other things. That's where the bottom most sig comes from.

Delkaetre 11-26-2007 09:15 AM

Meth- you can perhaps give me pointers when it comes to essay time, so that I pick up key influences I may have missed?

Methadrine 11-26-2007 09:23 AM

Quote:

Meth- you can perhaps give me pointers when it comes to essay time, so that I pick up key influences I may have missed?

Sure, but wikipedia already has a great article about it that points out the most things about the book that often gets overlooked by teachers who just hand out the book and say "read it, since it's a classic.".

Delkaetre 11-26-2007 09:41 AM

I... distrust Wikipedia. Immensely. Thank you for the link, though, I shall explore it at greater length later.
Discussions with non-editable entities are generally more fruitful. I'm reading into the political ideals expressed in R.C. and the potential for it to be considered a hypothetical essay on The Enlightenment.

Dorian 11-26-2007 10:00 AM

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. Finally, after owning the book for years.

Methadrine 11-26-2007 10:31 AM

Quote:

I... distrust Wikipedia. Immensely. Thank you for the link, though, I shall explore it at greater length later.
Discussions with non-editable entities are generally more fruitful. I'm reading into the political ideals expressed in R.C. and the potential for it to be considered a hypothetical essay on The Enlightenment.

One really should distrust Wikipedia, I agree. It's a great source of information but in it's current form only good for pointers and not facts.. which suit perfectly when it comes to book essays, because a book with a story is also never facts, it's something else. Say for example that one reader thinks of R.C as a story about a man who learned to be more godloving, openminded and appreciate the nature etc and writes an essay on that. The teacher or examinist says 'very good, you captured what the author wanted to say' while in reality Defoe might just have been utterly bored and wrote it as a neat adventure because he wanted to break out of the boring and monotuos life we usually live (while that's not true since the author himself denied it, it's putting one perspective on the wonderful things that are books and what people think and read from them) no matter what generation or era.

Sorry for that little essay, but felt it was a moment in time where I could mention it and see what people thought about it... :D

Delkaetre 11-26-2007 11:27 AM

Haha, I have no trouble with essays *that* little! It's the three thousand word bastards that I have to write that are giving me grief.
I have issues with dissecting fiction as part of study, because I feel it really takes away from the author's intent. No writer wants their work to become a soulless thing that endless students mindlessly quote and dissect. Same goes for poetry. Unless the author specifically states something was his/her intention, I think we should just enjoy the work and stop reading into depths that may not be there.

Methadrine 11-26-2007 11:51 AM

Quote:

Haha, I have no trouble with essays *that* little! It's the three thousand word bastards that I have to write that are giving me grief.
I have issues with dissecting fiction as part of study, because I feel it really takes away from the author's intent. No writer wants their work to become a soulless thing that endless students mindlessly quote and dissect. Same goes for poetry.

You think like I do. :)

Quote:

...reading into depths that may not be there.

That's what we have music for. :D

Delkaetre 11-26-2007 11:52 AM

Should I be pleased or worried that I share thought processes with someone whose name shortens easily to 'Meth'?

Methadrine 11-26-2007 11:58 AM

Quote:

Should I be pleased or worried that I share thought processes with someone whose name shortens easily to 'Meth'?

Probably pleased, since my modus operandi is to usually make people think twice about the sentences I write (speaking of depths... ;)) or they miss out on something.

Delkaetre 11-26-2007 12:02 PM

Haha, then complimented I shall feel. Unless, of course, this is a sign that your intelligence has been dragged down into the muck by speaking with individuals of such dubious character as myself.

††BlackRose†† 11-26-2007 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorian
Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. Finally, after owning the book for years.

That's a good book. I actually prefer that over the DaVinci Code. I didn't like it. It was too long, and filled with too many pointless facts (in my opinion). Angels and Demons is better in that sense.

spoon! 11-30-2007 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ††BlackRose††
That's a good book. I actually prefer that over the DaVinci Code. I didn't like it. It was too long, and filled with too many pointless facts (in my opinion). Angels and Demons is better in that sense.

I agree totally. I actually hated Da Vinci Code because it had so much promise and then was a letdown structurally.

Anyways, I'm reading the biography of Charles M. Schulz, the creator of Charlie Brown, Snoopy, and the gang.

Undead_Stagehand 12-02-2007 10:37 AM

Peanuts!

I'm reading Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky. Raskolnikov is supposed to be attractive; go figure. I like it, though.
Just finished reading The Stranger by Albert Camus, Matthew Ward's translation. I think Mersault could be considered "Gothic" if he lived during the right time period.

Methadrine 12-04-2007 04:19 AM

I began to re-read Donna Tartt's The Secret History again, for about the tenth time. I really love that book...

BrandT_DisasteR 12-04-2007 07:25 AM

I just finished the golden compass by philip pullman ans im starting the subtle knife

Delkaetre 12-04-2007 09:40 AM

Re-re-reading Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's 'Good Omens'
*happy sigh* Now there was a writing match made in heaven...

angelnoir 12-04-2007 10:13 AM

Currently reading S. Kenyons' Devil May Cry, and a bunch of junk from work.

Godslayer Jillian 12-04-2007 08:42 PM

Abbie Hoffman's Steal This Book.
Now I know eight methods of getting free food and three for free transportation.

Beneath the Shadows 12-04-2007 08:47 PM

"Chainfire" by Terry Goodkind.

suture-self 12-04-2007 10:39 PM

Quote:

Robinson Crusoe
Part of my Enlightenment course. We're doing Frankenstein next.

Frankenstein is one of my all time favs. Have you read it before?

Delkaetre 12-05-2007 07:23 AM

Frankenstein? Goodness, yes. It was my key coursework text during my English Literature A-level, and has the benefit of being rather more readable than many of the other florid, overly weepy Gothic novels of the time.

Alexander IV 12-08-2007 12:58 PM

well my current manga obsession is Deathnote
but aside from that I just finished reading Twilight_Stephanie Meyer
And as of now Im reading_ Blue Bloods by Melissa De La Cruz

After that might curl up and read Dracula

silverbaal 12-08-2007 01:06 PM

I've been on a Buffyverse diet for a long time, so i've been reading all of the graphic novels for season 8. I can't remember the name of the artist. But this dude or gal is so much better than the earlier artist. The earlier work made the cast look like a bunch of cartoon characters.

My current obession is also women in ancient Rome and Greece and Roman medicine (especially Brain Surgery).

Evidently they were very good at medicine and their work was highly effective. But...Let's just say that if I had a headache back then, i'd find the muscle mass to suffer through it, rather than get a doctor. Yeesh.