Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

raggedyanne 08-23-2007 09:09 PM

I'm reading Eclipse. I love it so much. As a teenage girl, I am allowed to have a huge crush on the male lead.

Crystal Sorrow 08-26-2007 02:32 AM

The Vampire Lestat
Twilight- Stephanie Meyers

Evander 08-26-2007 06:10 PM

Ysabel - Guy Gavriel Kay

Just finished East of Eden for class last week (FINE, month)...

Breathless Horror 08-26-2007 06:16 PM

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card

Mistress Lilith 08-26-2007 06:46 PM

Heir to the Shadows- Anne Bishop. It's the second in a trilogy that I absoultely adore. I only like certain fantasy authors, but she is one of my favorites.

SituationNoir 08-27-2007 05:41 AM

I just finished the last in Anne Bishop's Black Jewels triology and I was pleasantly suprised. Mostly because my mother recommended it to me and we have very differing tastes...most of the time anyway. But I really enjoyed it!
I devoured eclipse by Stephenie Meyer a few days ago. Her books never take me very long to read, but I love them all the same. I was very happy with Eclipse because I really hated New Moon, not because of the storyline, but mostly because it didn't have the magic of Twilight. I think with Eclipse some of that magic was recaptured.

RIGHT NOW I'm finishing off Lost Souls By Poppy Z Brite.

Diana 08-27-2007 02:11 PM

As You Like It - William Shakespear

MollyMac 08-27-2007 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SituationNoir

RIGHT NOW I'm finishing off Lost Souls By Poppy Z Brite.

Always a good call, but I thought "Drawing Blood" wa sfar superior.. but anythign with Steve and Ghost is niiiice. Her short Story "The Sixth Sentinel" in "Wormwood" is also impressve

Godslayer Jillian 08-27-2007 09:51 PM

Discourse on Method, by Descartes

Breathless Horror 08-28-2007 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Discourse on Method, by Descartes

Wow...way to make me feel stupid there Jillian :P

I'm currently reading a collection of H.P. Lovecraft stories called "Call of Cthulhu and Other Wierd Stories".

Undead_Stagehand 08-28-2007 09:43 AM

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. NO, this is not for school.

raggedyanne 08-28-2007 10:26 PM

I'm rereading "The Complete Works of Machiavelli."

BBerntson 08-28-2007 11:27 PM

After Silence by Jonathan Carroll. Very Unsettling

raggedyanne 08-29-2007 12:02 AM

I Robot by Asimov

d.Nox 09-01-2007 09:31 AM

A collection of 17th- and 18th-century Gothic stories from Europe and America.

Umberto Eco's The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana

The complete works of Byron.

The Corpus Hermeticum

and

Llewellyn's New A to Z Horoscope Maker & Interpreter

...something for every mood.

d.Nox 09-01-2007 09:42 AM

Quote:

I think I'm about to read Being and Time (Zein und Zeit) by Heidegger.
I say I think because I see it and it scares me.
I know I'll have to read it eventually - it's the most influential work on continental philosophy - but I don't think I'm ready for it.
No-one's ready for it, or should be, IMHO. Heidegger's work is difficult largely because he made up his own philosophical language, without which it is almost impossible to discuss his ideas. This is a sure sign that he got caught up in his own abstractions and lost sight of the big picture. His reputation rests largely on the fact that nobody quite knows what he's saying.

That's not to say he didn't have some good ideas, just that they're nothing that can't be found in other philosophers, more lucidly.

Mind you, I haven't ever been able to work all the way through Being and Time, but as far as I've gotten I've never seen anything to contradict my view.

Save yourself the time and energy and go read Kierkegaard, being careful not to let his Christianity get in the way of his reasoning.

Aaroneet 09-06-2007 04:56 PM

I am currently reading THE HEART IS A LONELY WANDERER by Carson McCullers. Rarely if ever am I engrossed from the first page.

So far the book is a pleasant surprise.

msr.iaidoka 09-06-2007 06:21 PM

皆さん、今晩わ、

I am currently reading "The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty" by A. N. Roquelaure (pseudonym for Anne Rice). Hurrah for super sadomasochistic sexual relations.

Impressed and disturbed by her imagination,

Matt

raggedyanne 09-06-2007 08:09 PM

Ooh! That's a really good one!

I'm reading <<El misterio de Salem's Lot>> by Stephen King

msr.iaidoka 09-06-2007 08:23 PM

raggedyanne,

It is quite entertaining, but I have read better. I do realize that it is as much a satire as a serious work so I might pick up the other two in the series. Have you read the others?

Wishing I had been keeping track of the number of times she said "buttocks,"

Matt

Godslayer Jillian 09-06-2007 08:49 PM

Existentialism: From Dostoevsky to Sartre.
Selected and introduced by Walter Kaufman. And The Restaurant at the end of the Universe by Douglas Adams.

That is, those are the books I'm reading for pleasure. I also have to read my Astronomy book, by English book, my UNIV book, the autobiography Warriors Don't Cry, the autobiography of Abbie Hoffman, the book Making Peace With the Sixties by David Burner, and my Political Science book.
College is demanding so much of me.
I love it!

Johnny Gnar Gnar 09-06-2007 09:16 PM

Ok, you cannot laugh. I have been reading A River Runs Through It, by Norman Mclean. Yes, the book that the movie was based on....reminds me of my younger days. Anyway, he is a good writer about growing up in B.F.E nowhere, a.k.a. Montana. Laugh, I know you want to. I have also been reading alot of Edward Abbey lately, Desert Solitaire, The Monkey Wrench Gang, Hayduke Lives!, Down The River, etc. I know, I am not worthy. But it sure is good reading!

raggedyanne 09-06-2007 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msr.iaidoka
raggedyanne,

It is quite entertaining, but I have read better. I do realize that it is as much a satire as a serious work so I might pick up the other two in the series. Have you read the others?

Wishing I had been keeping track of the number of times she said "buttocks,"

Matt

I found it quite funny. You should keep track, as she seems a bit obsessed with that word. I have yet to read the others, but any series that makes me blush during science is worth picking up.

I'm also reading Blood Bound, by Patricia Briggs. It's not erotica by any length, but it's interesting enough for a couple readings. Very supernatural/werewolf/vampire stuff.

msr.iaidoka 09-06-2007 10:41 PM

raggedyanne,

She also seems obsessed with using the polite words for things instead of letting her writing style slip deeper into raunch. I find it almost annoying, but that is just me, I prefer colloquial terms over their polite counterparts. Plus her obsession with spanking/paddling could be indicative of a personal kink, there are so many other sadomasochistic activities that she barely touches on or has missed all together.
She does manage to delve decently into mentality of dominance and submission. It reminds me of "Secretary" starring James Spader and Maggie Gyllenhaal.

If only all secretaries were so enticing,

Matt

raggedyanne 09-06-2007 10:44 PM

ROTFLMAO! You're totally right. It would be nice if she could throw in some slang. Scientific terms make me think of bio more than hot steamy anything. "Secretary" was an awesome movie. So pretty much we have an ettiquite obsessed writer with a hidden spanking fetish?