Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

Steppenwolf 09-30-2007 02:01 PM

The Collector (again)

Beneath the Shadows 10-14-2007 06:40 PM

I was reading Naked Empire by Terry Goodkind. But I seem to have misplaced it, so I started reading the Harry Potter series. Started The Sorceror's Stone earlier today. And then finished it.

L'Oiseau Noir 10-14-2007 07:23 PM

Presently I'm reading "Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley. It's a very interesting book, even if I have read it about a million times. My classmates, however, seem to think otherwise. Ah well, I suppose victorian literature isn't for everybody.

silverbaal 10-14-2007 07:26 PM

Faust
Oliver Twist
A Little Princess (I'm still a kid at heart so shut up about it.)

Dark Templar 10-16-2007 05:58 AM

The kingdom at the journey's end by Jan Gulou

zeronegativeplus 10-16-2007 09:19 AM

the twilight of the idols by nietzsche

d.Nox 10-16-2007 10:44 AM

Algeo and Pyles, The Origins and Development of the English Language

Vexik 10-16-2007 12:55 PM

Dracula, by Stoker (by a strange but boring series of coincidences)

d.Nox - How do you like Origins? Is it about the language as a whole, or does it focus on spoken, written, or assimilated words?

raggedyanne 10-17-2007 11:46 PM

I'm reading Queen of the Damned, again

Nevan 10-17-2007 11:49 PM

I'm reading 'The Game' by Neil Strauss. Pretty disturbing stuff, considering it's not fiction.

raggedyanne 10-17-2007 11:50 PM

ooh, good book. I read Kira Kira for class. It's a lot like plays by Chekov in that you want it to get better, but right when the characters seem to start solving the issue, it all goes to shit.

d.Nox 10-18-2007 11:18 AM

Quote:

d.Nox - How do you like Origins? Is it about the language as a whole, or does it focus on spoken, written, or assimilated words?
So far, it's pretty good. It covers pretty much the entire history, from Indo-European up to the modern day, written and spoken.

It's a textbook, originally written in the 40's and updated a few times since then to incorporate new findings. Unlike most textbooks written today, it shows a fair degree of scholarship and wit, and makes for a pretty entertaining read.

Azaezl 10-18-2007 12:08 PM

I'm reading 'The Psychology of Satan' by NM Howes, great book, fantastic author!

insertwittyname 10-22-2007 10:13 PM

Non fiction book on early witch hunts. and The Physician's Tale by Ann Benson. Which is pretty morbid. It goes to the tales of ppl's live in a someone after today time where some sort of plague has wiped out almost everyone and people are reverting to how they lived in the medieval times. And switches back to the medieval times to the tales of a Jewish doctor.

Oh, and the witch hunts? People liked to accuse people of being witches because they couldn't keep their willy up, that person is richer, blah. And my fav? What concluded to make a witch. Kissing animals under the tails, screwing animals with human genitals, anal intercourse, saying Satan was God, eating babies, killing babies, making wax out of unbaptised babies. I think the people back then thought of such horrid things because their thoughts were so turned to be pure that when something snapped they went ALL the way.

Green.Lady 10-22-2007 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImmortalVampyre
mhmm, I am currently reading Dracula and ******** Bellanger's Psychic Vampire Codex.

Seriously, what the hell? They blur out m i c h e l l e and l o l i t a but not shit fuck asshole, etc.

I'm reading Treasure Island again. Blast from the past, y'know.

Rorschach Twin 10-23-2007 01:39 PM

Cabal by Clive Barker.

Tara Poison 10-24-2007 12:37 PM

The Almost moon by Alice Sebold.

erotomaniac87 10-24-2007 04:31 PM

Right now I'm reading Poor Things by Alasdair Gray and also The Metamorphosis, for the second time, by Franz Kafka.

bleedingheart344 11-04-2007 02:08 AM

Shadowmancer by G. P. Taylor.

Stupot 11-04-2007 04:06 AM

I'm currently reading a collection of suspense stories compiled by Alfred Hitchcock called "Alfred Hitchcock: My Favourites in Suspense". The first story is The Birds and it's interesting how different it is from his movie version. The ending is much darker.

mfiend1138 11-04-2007 05:34 AM

Observations on the Feeling of the Beautiful and Sublime by Immanuel Kant

It all comes back to aesthetic theory.

-R.

DeathToLems 11-04-2007 06:10 AM

I've waited a month for the last series of Saikano to arrive so i can finish reading/looking at it.

It's a Manga about a girl who becomes an ultimate weapon. She didn't want this to happen. All she wanted to do was fall in love but she ends up wiping out cities with her uncontrollable power during Wars in Japan.
The film made me cry v_v;

xCuriosity_Killed_Herx 11-04-2007 06:32 AM

Re-Reading Anne Rice's 'The Mummy: Or Ramses the Damned'

drewsilla 11-05-2007 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xCuriosity_Killed_Herx
Re-Reading Anne Rice's 'The Mummy: Or Ramses the Damned'

I enjoyed the hell out of that one! I wish Anne wrote like that still, instead of being on her God-kick.

I'm re-re-re-reading An Encyclopedia of Occultism by Lewis Spence. Good stuff all around!