Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   General (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What's made your day? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=16268)

Renatus 07-01-2012 07:47 AM

We had a wasp nest outside under one of the deck chairs, we tried spraying it with a bunch of things to get rid of them. We've dealt with several of this set of wasps' nests but this one was the most persistent. Nothing worked. So I came up with the final solution. I completely covered every inch of my body, and wore a face mask with lab splash goggles, and of course my boots.

I went out there, tried setting the nest on fire. It worked for a bit but it kept going out before it finished the job and it wasn't easy to light the matches with gloves on. At this point I had gotten used to and felt safe in the fact that I was untouchable to the wasps. So I just went and crushed part of the wasps nest between my fingers. The larvae and everything inside burst and were quite juicy I suppose you could say, and the juice was oddly quite red. But at this point I realized it would still take too long(not to mention the gloves were stained by the juice) and it was getting hot with a scarf around my head(to keep them from getting in the gaps in the hood), so I just thought to hell with it, picked it up, and crushed it underneath my boot. The wasps have since disappeared quite quickly it would seem.

Is this the final victory we had been hoping for? or will they make a new nest somewhere else on the deck now? stay tuned.

Renatus 07-01-2012 08:39 AM

BONUS! Several days ago my mother lost the car keys so we were stuck unable to do things like get groceries. We were stuck searching the whole house repeatedly until we found the spare set(that didn't have several of the other keys we needed). So after I took care of the wasps, we were fixing the deck chairs, and found the keys on them, the wasps were keeping us away from the keys!

Edit: after some research the red juicy contents of the nest are quite likely nectar, possibly even fermented nectar.

ape descendant 07-01-2012 09:44 AM

That's awesome! I can only imagine the satisfaction of stomping out a wasp nest with my boot after they'd plagued my outdoor fun for untold eons.

Fruitbat 07-01-2012 07:37 PM

Ren - what are the natural predators in your area for wasps? Try attracting some of those, and they should take care of the wasps.

Valhalla 07-01-2012 10:00 PM

Is it weird that I'm actually curious if the wasps will form a new nest on Ren's deck after a boot attack?

Renatus 07-02-2012 12:33 AM

Well I checked and apparently Bats eat wasps, so how about a bat box.

Jaye Jang 07-02-2012 08:37 AM

Sitting here watching a little fuzzy baby sleep. Was having a really bad day... no work last night, mad boss, etc. Worrying about finances, family and friends in Colorado, not to mention Pocatello which is now on fire, and my son-in-law turns up with this little angel. Turns out they found two of them, hot and thirsty. So, they kept one and asked if I'd take the other. Needless to say, I was making grabby hands as soon as I opened the door. Don't know what he is, husky?, Pom?, whatever. Who cares. He's my mutt now and his name is "Grizzly." Oh, and is he ever going to be spoiled? That goes without saying.

honeythorn 07-02-2012 09:53 AM

We beat the monthly budget at work. Because it was a BIG budget last month, instead of the usual free raffle (the prizes of which consist of chocolates, wine and beer ) we are getting a pizza each delivered from the local pizza hut for lunch tomorrow. BUT, on top of that, they also gave everyone £50 in cash ( about $100 ish ) as an extra bonus !!! :D

honeythorn 07-02-2012 11:04 AM

Also, I MET ANDI SEXGANG. On Saturday. And he is tiny! He's like 5'2 and he actually stood on tiptoe when I had my photo taken with him :rolleyes:

I nearly stole him. I could have stuffed him down my bra and run out of there.

Timeless Rebellion 07-02-2012 11:08 AM

http://www.biglolz.com/images/1336665683-10703.jpg
Another pug did!

Fruitbat 07-03-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renatus (Post 698036)
Well I checked and apparently Bats eat wasps, so how about a bat box.

Perfect! I'll just pack my bags and move in :-D

Saves you having to keep on top of it, plus you don't have to use posions et al - let the native bat population keep them under control (I use bats to control mozzies).

Plus Bats are amazing flyers.
*I'm such a bragger*

MissCheyenne 07-04-2012 01:35 PM

Haven't lost any more weight BUT I have lost an inch off my waist :)

Solumina 07-04-2012 08:59 PM

Nicely done MC!

Fruitbat 07-05-2012 07:48 PM

Way to go MissC!

I'm going to get dirty today, and the only thing that would be better than getting dirty alone, is getting down and dirty with Ape...

I really should stay away from this board when i'm in creative writing mode... I'm going to get into trouble again....

Oh and Ape here are some dirty words for you:

Lavender seeds
Camelia
Garlic
Rosemary,
Seed planting mix
Gum boots

... sorry if I've got you all excited... I just had to share :D

Kasdeja 07-06-2012 12:22 AM

Getting my financial aid directly deposited. For college, that is.

Solumina 07-06-2012 10:25 AM

I finally found the laundry room in this complex, yay clean laundry!

Also it looks like we have found a car that we both like and can afford we just need to go test drive it after Jake gets off work.

Acharis 07-06-2012 10:29 AM

Cinnamon muesli bars. Ohhhh

Jaye Jang 07-06-2012 10:42 AM

Cookies and milk -- and my puppy. :)

Timeless Rebellion 07-06-2012 10:51 AM

Puppy!
Pics or it didn't happen! :O

Jaye Jang 07-06-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timeless Rebellion (Post 698233)
Puppy!

Sorry. Can't upload pix. Already tried that. However, I've finally figured out what the little guy is. I think he's a Peke/Shih Tzu x Chihuahua combo, or a Shih Tzu/Yorkie x Chihuahua combo. If you want to know what he looks like, he's got little black mask, fluffy brownish-black hair and a long skinny tail. He's also lopsided, poor little guy. He has cute chubby little forepaws like a Yorkie, and the long skinny hind legs of a Chihuahua. Unfortunately, I think I know now why his owners abandoned him and his sibs, he wouldn't make a show dog because he's not 'perfect' enough. But I don't care. I love him. (My family found them at a yard sale. The folks were just giving them away, as they had been abandoned in their yard and they had enough dogs of their own).

Jaye Jang 07-06-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timeless Rebellion (Post 698233)
Puppy!

Sorry. Tried to upload a pic. Still didn't work, but this is the closest I can come to what the little guy looks like, except he has a long skinny tail and legs that don't match.

http://dogs.oodle.com/view/pekingese...eagle-bend-mn/

Timeless Rebellion 07-06-2012 02:03 PM

Cute overload... :3

Solumina 07-06-2012 06:42 PM

I have a car!

Timeless Rebellion 07-07-2012 02:16 AM

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...37671366_n.jpg
This totally made my day xD

ape descendant 07-07-2012 03:51 PM

IT IS FINALLY FUCKING RAINING!! I've always loved cloudy skies and rain, but after all that's been going on, this is transcendentally beautiful!