Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Music (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Goths and Screamo? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=17169)

Anarchist Ninja 11-29-2009 01:58 PM

Goths and Screamo?

Figured I'd post this here since this has to do with music.

Does anyone else find themselves frequently asked if they like "screamo"?

On a weekly basis almost, whenever the music topic is brought up in a conversation, people always say things like

"You don't like this band because you only like screamo!"

or "So what screamo bands do you like?"

or "So what DO you listen to then if you don't like rap? Screamo?"

or "What kind of band is that? Some kinda weird screamo band?"

Does anyone else get this? It seems people think that because I'm goth I listen to screamo all the time. Since when does goth associate with screamo?

I will be honest, I do listen to a few bands that might be associated with the term "screamo" such as the bands on the following links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOWB6rmSd4I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o7SamPkmeg

But I don't only listen to these type of bands, in fact these are some of my least favorite bands because metal seems to be too repetitive. Loud guitars/drums and a guy growling some random junk that the average human ear cannot understand.

JCC 11-29-2009 02:11 PM

You're an idiot.

Necrophagist 11-29-2009 02:14 PM

JCC is correct.

Anarchist Ninja 11-29-2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCC (Post 585322)
You're an idiot.

Worth a try. I didn't have my hopes too high to get any direct answers after looking at some of the threads.

JCC 11-29-2009 02:17 PM

How can I be more direct than 'you're an idiot'? You're an idiot, suck it up.

Anarchist Ninja 11-29-2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCC (Post 585326)
How can I be more direct than 'you're an idiot'? You're an idiot, suck it up.

That is a direct answer, true. But it does not answer my question which is what I was trying to get across. I also don't understand how asking "Are you associated with (fill in the black)?" can make someone an "Idiot".

I suppose if it were a more obvious question such as "Do you associate with GNet?" I could be considered an "Idiot" since you clearly do. But I wouldn't consider this an obvious question and felt it was worth asking.

JCC 11-29-2009 03:05 PM

None of the bands you listed are screamo. Screamo is emo music with harsher vocals, hence, 'screamo'. It's not groove metal or death metal, like the two bands you listed. Therefore, you're an idiot.

Lord Whiskerton 11-29-2009 03:11 PM

I would have expected you to put Underoath, Alesana, or Blessthefall somewhere there.
But as JCC said, those are obviously not screamo bands.

Tam Li Hua 11-29-2009 03:33 PM

No. message too short.

Slap Your Love 11-29-2009 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Whiskerton (Post 585339)
I would have expected you to put Underoath, Alesana, or Blessthefall somewhere there.
But as JCC said, those are obviously not screamo bands.

I'm not sure if you're listing these as screamo or making fun of him in guessing that those are what he assumed screamo to be.

Cause those are most definitely not screamo. My favorite screamo band
is I hate myself.

Anarasha 11-30-2009 01:29 AM

I actually read somewhere that screamo doesn't have to include vocals.
If this is true or not I will leave up to someone who actually knows something about screamo music to tell. I never bothered with screamo music.
Now, calling Lamb of God and Behemoth screamo is pure retarded.
Next you are probably gonna claim Cradle of Filth to be screamo too.

JCC 11-30-2009 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarasha (Post 585391)
I actually read somewhere that screamo doesn't have to include vocals.
If this is true or not I will leave up to someone who actually knows something about screamo music to tell. I never bothered with screamo music.
Now, calling Lamb of God and Behemoth screamo is pure retarded.
Next you are probably gonna claim Cradle of Filth to be screamo too.

Or that Evanescence are an emo band or some shit.

Lord Whiskerton 11-30-2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slap Your Love (Post 585373)
I'm not sure if you're listing these as screamo or making fun of him in guessing that those are what he assumed screamo to be.

Cause those are most definitely not screamo. My favorite screamo band
is I hate myself.

The second part is right. I assumed he would have put those down because whenever screamo comes up, people usually name those bands. But his idea of screamo was way off of what other people usually think of as screamo.

House of Horrors 12-01-2009 05:02 AM

I quite like Antioch Arrow if you would refer to them as screamo. And Angel Hair's cover of Stigmata Martyr.

Anarasha 12-01-2009 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCC (Post 585446)
Or that Evanescence are an emo band or some shit.

Exactly. Now what retard would ever claim that? :P

emofucker 12-01-2009 10:28 AM

question???

are u sayin that u don't like screamo?
x_X

Anarasha 12-01-2009 02:26 PM

I say that I have no idea what screamo really is, but I heard somewhere that screamo doesn't even have to contain vocals. I do however know that screamo is not simply growling.

DRM 12-01-2009 03:05 PM

Mmm screamo is okay sometimes.
But all in all, there is much better music out there.

Cretin Dilettante 12-08-2009 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCC (Post 585338)
None of the bands you listed are screamo. Screamo is emo music with harsher vocals, hence, 'screamo'. It's not groove metal or death metal, like the two bands you listed. Therefore, you're an idiot.

In other words " HURRR U DUN KNOW OBSCURE SUBGENRES SO U MUST BE STUPID LOL HURRR I TROLL U".

I wonder how many of you fucks on this board are like this in real life... No wonder I have to defend liking "goth" music and fashion, it's like you all have superiority complexes or something.

Not Tha Duckman 12-08-2009 01:02 PM

It's not a complex.

Still Jack 12-08-2009 01:03 PM

Is it our fault you feel inferior.

JCC 12-08-2009 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cretin Dilettante (Post 587308)
In other words " HURRR U DUN KNOW OBSCURE SUBGENRES SO U MUST BE STUPID LOL HURRR I TROLL U".

I wonder how many of you fucks on this board are like this in real life... No wonder I have to defend liking "goth" music and fashion, it's like you all have superiority complexes or something.

I think you're mistaking yourself for somebody important enough for me to care what you think, bro. People come and go on these forums every day, most of them have something to say about the abrasive way that we act here. Clearly that hasn't changed, so I wouldn't waste the energy.

Malice In Wonderland 12-08-2009 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cretin Dilettante (Post 587308)

I don't think any of the genres he mentioned are obscure unless you've been living in a box for the past 4 years.

Not Tha Duckman 12-08-2009 01:05 PM

So anyone hear about this new thing, "The Internet"? I'm told it's going to be all the rage.

Still Jack 12-08-2009 01:08 PM

Dude, I've still got diarrhea, I haven't got time for this new fangled invention. I'm still struggling with toilet paper.