Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

Saya 03-08-2011 11:09 AM

During the break between semesters, probably. I checked out Female Chauvinist Pigs on Feb. 20th, and I'm only in the second chapter.

I AM reading Nathan The Wise for one of my courses, though.

Murder.Of.Crows 03-08-2011 11:12 AM

I ran out of books.... wish i had a Barnes and Noble near me.

Saya 03-08-2011 11:13 AM

This is why having an ereader is awesome!

vindicatedxjin 03-08-2011 11:27 AM

I want a nook so bad.

Saya 03-08-2011 11:31 AM

I got the Sony touch screen one, its pretty rad. I almost got a Kobo (which is the same as a Nook I believe), but I heard some complaints about the loading times. But I'm thankful for it all the same, after it came out Sony's prices dropped to a reasonable price so I didn't feel bad for asking for it for Christmas.

Alan 03-08-2011 12:42 PM

Ew. Fuck e readers. I like having the physical book. It's a trophy. My room currently has four trophy cases and one day all the walls will be books.

Saya 03-08-2011 12:46 PM

Eh, I'm pressed for space, I have books spilling out of my closet, out from under my bed, and I took over my roommate's bookshelf. And I'm not looking forward to moving because that's going to be a headache. Plus it saves me a trip to the library if they have the ebook version.

MissCheyenne 03-08-2011 04:00 PM

I'm......not reading anything at the minute :( I ran out of books and have no idea what's around that's good. Come on people, recommend me stuff! I'll read pretty much ANYTHING except chick lit, you know, shitty romance novels and stuff. Other than that, anything's fair game. TELL ME WHAT I NEED TO READ WISE ONES.

Saya 03-08-2011 05:04 PM

MARGARET ATWOOD.

Barring that, I WAS reading The Windup Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami, and I didn't finish it but I was really loving it, can't wait to be able to pick it up again. Down And Out In The Magical Kingdom by Cory Doctorow was also pretty good, if you don't want anything too heady. I wouldn't call it fluff but it was pretty easy reading, and you can download it for free online!

Actually, you can just go through my Shelfari, I have most things rated. Haven't been using it in a while and don't mind how half assed the written reviews are (I can't justify putting effort into them).

http://www.shelfari.com/meganc

Sir Canvas Corpsey 03-08-2011 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissCheyenne (Post 656795)
I'm......not reading anything at the minute :( I ran out of books and have no idea what's around that's good. Come on people, recommend me stuff! I'll read pretty much ANYTHING except chick lit, you know, shitty romance novels and stuff. Other than that, anything's fair game. TELL ME WHAT I NEED TO READ WISE ONES.

The Shannara Series by Terry Brooks which MUST be read in this order:

Running With the Demon*
Knight of the Word
Angel Fire East
Armagedon's Children
Elves of Cintra
Gypsy Morph
+++
The First King of Shannara*
The Sword of Shannara*
The Elfstones of Shannara
The Wishsong of Shannara
The Scions of Shannara
The Druid of Shannara
The Elf Queen of Shannara
The Talismans of Shannara
The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara
Antrax
Morgawr
Jarka Ruus
Tanequil
Straken

and then the first book of the new incomplete Trilogy (The Legends of Shannara) entitled 'The Bearers of the Black Staff' which is filling in the time gap marked with +++

Anything marked with an * can be a standalone read, but you really benefit from reading them all.

I'm a Terry Brooks junkie. :3

The series oscillates between Fantasy, Sci-fi and modern, but there's always a touch of fantasy and magic in each, and the modern sci-fi elements only really crop up prior to The First King and once again and onward from The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara

Saya 03-08-2011 05:44 PM

I bear a grudge against Shannara because something bad always happens to my favourite characters, or great things happen to characters I hate. Jerle Shannara was particularly guilty of this.

Sir Canvas Corpsey 03-08-2011 06:00 PM

It's true, Terry Brooks is very guilty as charged, and yet, I always cling to the vain hope of a fairy tale ending that everything turns out alright for all the characters... and sometimes Mr. Brooks truly leads me on then breaks my heart (ie. the ending of Straken)

EDIT: Actually great stuff happened to one of my favourite characters from the First King/Sword (I cannot remember which, I think First King, because it involved Bremen), so that's not entirely true.

Nightwalker39 03-10-2011 11:39 AM

Demon In My View, By Amelia Atwater-Rhodes

Mariner 04-06-2011 08:20 PM

John Lennon biography, and Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams.

MissCheyenne 04-07-2011 04:03 PM

Quantum Physics - Alastair I.M. Rae and (for the third time) Battle Royale - Koushun Takami

Saya 04-07-2011 04:56 PM

Buddhism, Sexuality And Gender. It was published in 1985 and its kinda funny how the lingo around sexuality has changed since. Nothing too drastic so far but I'm so used to seeing "gay men and lesbians" instead of "gay people".

erotomaniac87 04-11-2011 12:42 AM

"French Women Don't Get Fat" by Mireille Guiliano.

Shadowthorn 04-11-2011 08:20 PM

Rip it up and Start Again by Simon Reynolds...a review of Post-punk music haha good stuff

korinna5555 04-16-2011 04:42 PM

Mists of Avalon, MZB. DoubleK thinks it's too feminist, but I think it's pretty super.

Fruitbat 04-21-2011 04:33 AM

Amanda hocking my blood approves series.
and books on how to teach toddlers art

Britty 04-23-2011 05:02 PM

"Skin hunger" by Kathleen Duey

CuckooTuli 04-24-2011 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by korinna5555 (Post 664028)
Mists of Avalon, MZB. DoubleK thinks it's too feminist, but I think it's pretty super.

Wait, TOO feminist? What?

Johnny Gnar Gnar 04-25-2011 10:54 PM

Literary Theory: An Anthology ed. Rivkin and Ryan aaaaannnnddddd
Heart of Darkness (Critical Essays) ed Ross Murfin.

Oh yes, I am ready to be done with this.

Saya 05-16-2011 02:08 PM

I have four books to read for my War And Aggression course, I'm a good way through Shot In The Heart by Mikal Gilmore. I'm surprised I didn't have nightmares about Mormons last night.

MissCheyenne 05-16-2011 02:13 PM

The Pleasures of The Damned - Charles Bukowski