Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

Junk Bond Trader 10-18-2005 08:09 AM

Empty Purple Stars, I stopped in at a local used book seller and picked up for a dollar each:

Greg Bear - Beyond Heaven's River
Larry Niven - Destiny's Road
Ursula K. Le Guin - (I'll check the title when I get home)

Selection was limited, and I didn't see any others by Greg Bear, but I will look out for them. I just thought these were some good finds on the cheap.

Empty_Purple_Stars 10-18-2005 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junk Bond Trader
Empty Purple Stars, I stopped in at a local used book seller and picked up for a dollar each:

Greg Bear - Beyond Heaven's River
Larry Niven - Destiny's Road
Ursula K. Le Guin - (I'll check the title when I get home)

Selection was limited, and I didn't see any others by Greg Bear, but I will look out for them. I just thought these were some good finds on the cheap.

Destiny's Road is pretty good.. Been years since I read it.
Haven't read Beyond Heaven's River, let me know if it's good..
All I have read by Leguin is Tales from the Earthsea, which I enjoyed..

But books for a buck are not to be passed up, lucky you.
But hopefully you can find those two Bear series used somewhere..
I bet they have a used online bookstore somewhere..

I'll check around for ya, I'd like to read them again myself..

Shemjazza 10-19-2005 03:09 PM

LeGuin's 'Left Hand of Darkness is exelent, if anyone gets the chance they should definitely read it. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

polished_wolf_claws 10-21-2005 01:12 PM

I've got like four books going at once right now *Needs to get back to the library*

+Phantoms by Dean Koontz: better than the movie
+Jaws By Peter Benchley: Equal to the Movie
+The Devils Kiss by William W. Johnstone: Needs to be a movie.... It's one of those books you find at library book sales.... It requires a certain taste to read it.
+Faun and Games By Piers Anthony: Needs to be a movie..... I love this guy's work

STEIN 10-30-2005 03:21 PM

Right now I'm reading the book German Boy written by Wolfgang W.E. Samuel. It's a great book. It takes place in occupied Germany and, It's about a boy and, his family surviving when the Russians and americans invade. And no he isnt Jewish.

Tall One In Black 10-30-2005 03:51 PM

I'm reading "100 Vicious Little Vampire Stories," a collection of short stories I picked up at Barnes & Noble for about $5.

gingerbreadwench 10-31-2005 09:55 AM

I'm reading a bunch of things. I'm re-reading 'The Princess Bride,' because I'll always be a retarded 14-year-old no matter how much it shames me. I'm reading 'The Vesuvius Club' by... a British guy. Can't remember his name. But, most AWESOME of all, I'm reading 'Fried Twinkies, Buckle Bunnies, and Bull Riders: A Year in the Life of the PBR,' or something to that effect. It's about the 2003 season of the Professional Bull Riders tour, and if you know me, you know I looooooves me some bull-ridin'!

The Minister Saint-Fond 11-01-2005 09:12 PM

I'm reading A Finger Pointing Toward the Moon by Osho because I love philosophy. I'm also reading, A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny because I'm a gothic dork.

nonfatsuperjesus 11-01-2005 09:52 PM

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson..... so far, awesome

ScrewTheDaisies 11-04-2005 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonfatsuperjesus
I Am Legend by Richard Matheson..... so far, awesome

Waaaaay better than any of the movies they made from it.

I'm trying really hard to only read one book at a time for a change. Current book: Chuck Palahniuk's Haunted.

Heather

polished_wolf_claws 11-04-2005 11:05 AM

Heh.... Now I'm reading a book calld Xombies.....

Interesting book..... Not finished yet, but it's holding my attention well enough.

Una 11-05-2005 09:53 AM

The Red Badge of Courage by Stephan Crane and I hope to get manga books for christmas to read.

ThwanCondu 11-05-2005 12:18 PM

I just read a 'short story' by Bram Stoker. It's actually a deleted chapter from the original novel called "Dracula's Guest". It's really cool! Keep an eye out for it!

BlueMoon 11-06-2005 03:29 PM

I usually read a few books at the same time....kinda like travelling between worlds.

Right now I'm reading Void Moon by Michael Connelly, not his best but ok.
A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami, very very interesting....
And a simple yet funny comic called Foršist Okkur(Avoid us), by Hugleikur Dagsson. He did 3 books called Love us, Fuck us and Kill us (allthough the titles are in Icelandic) and this is all three of them together. I already had the first 2 but hell, I can't get enough of those morbit stick-figures

-and this is my cat, Sweetie-
-that's not a cat...that's shit!-

-it's so fun dancing with you-
-I have a boner-

ohh and I just finished Terry Pratchetts A Hat Full Of Sky. I love his books

The Minister Saint-Fond 11-06-2005 03:49 PM

Dracula's Guest was rather interesting. I used to love the book 'Dracula' when I first read it in much... much... *sigh* younger days. If anyone is looking for it, it's in just about every collection of vampire stories ever written. I think it's a law that you have to include it or you can't publish the book.

Now I'm reading a collection of Unpanishads with accompanying essays because I am a philosophy dork, and the sci-fi masterpiece, Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny. If you haven't read it, you should... RIGHT NOW. It is really a magnum opus of fiction that has been called by many critics, "The greatest Science Fiction / Fantasy book every written." I've read it dozens of times, but it never gets old... Look it up!

Earth is long since dead. On a colony planet, a band of men has gained control of technology, made themselves immortal, and now rules their world as the gods of the Hindu pantheon. Only one dares oppose them: he who was once Siddhartha and is now Mahasamatman. Binder of Demons. Lord of Light..

Scythan 11-06-2005 03:55 PM

I am currently reading "Native Tongue" by Carl Hiaasen. I don't normally read books that aren't science fiction, but this author is great. I'm on my second book by him.

TheKorovaMilkbar 11-06-2005 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrewTheDaisies
Waaaaay better than any of the movies they made from it.

I'm trying really hard to only read one book at a time for a change. Current book: Chuck Palahniuk's Haunted.

Heather

Finally! Someone else who is reading it. What part are you at?

Liquid_Dream 11-07-2005 01:17 PM

I'm reading The Face - Dean Koontz

TeapotScar 11-07-2005 04:23 PM

I'm reading My Past and Thoughts by Alexander Herzen. Amazing read, much better than the other books I've been reading for my history course (Revolutions in Eastern Europe). Russians are amazingly talented writers.

mortalitas incomitatus 11-07-2005 04:31 PM

atm i'm reading this thread!!!!
god, i crack myself up!!!