Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

Soul_Immortal 05-20-2005 04:52 PM

Pale Moon Rising by Ginna Gray

*Soul*

Jane13 05-22-2005 10:10 AM

I'm about to read The Good Negress. It's required summer reading because I was "invited to join Mrs. Herron-Titus's Honors Sophmore English class this coming semester!"

FenrisQueen 06-01-2005 09:00 PM

I wish I could say I'm reading something intellectually stimulating, so as not to seem lazy or decadent during these trying summer months.

.....Fuck it all. I'm reading Fairy Tales redesigned for gay men. Which I am not, but they didn't have anything like beauty and the butch, so there we are.

lilywithers 06-03-2005 10:36 AM

No Subject For You!!!

I'm reading God Emperor of Dune. It's the only book in Herbert's series I haven't read. I've only read one of the new series; the new books seem like they've declined since Herbert wrote the originals, much like the V.C. Andrews books.
I just finished A Son of the Circus, which was pretty good. I love John Irving.

ghostposts 06-04-2005 04:09 AM

Just finished Cussedness' Books, Blood Rites, Blood heresy and Blood Dawn. Reviewed them for SFReader. Gonna get a copy of Carpe Demon and Madman's Dreams next.

afterglow 06-08-2005 05:34 AM

Albert Camus - Le premier homme (It´s like his autobiography)

illuminatti 06-09-2005 06:28 AM

i just finished reading "A Tale of Two Cities" by Dickens and I must say that i have never read such bullshit before. He got way too sentimental and forgot to keep to the idea of the book...namely the FRENCH REVOLUTION and not what a sweet little angel Lucy Manette is.
It made me wanna go an dig Dickens out of his grave and throw his damn bones in all directions.

The only interesting characters, really,were the Marquis and the guillotine.

Has anyone read it?

kerioctober 06-10-2005 11:25 AM

Recommended Novels

I read two great Gothic Suspense novels by Joe Bright that I highly recommend: The Reflection and The Key. They’re well written and kept me up all night. The books descriptions caught my attention, but they’re even better than I imagined. The author has a great web site too: http://www.joebrightbooks.com

Does anybody have any great books that you’d recommend?

kerioctober 06-10-2005 11:32 AM

Scapegoat

I'm reading The Scapegoat by Daphne Du Maurier. It's an older book and not Gothic or scarry but pretty good.

Soul_Immortal 06-10-2005 11:36 AM

WILL SOON be reading a few things by the oh-so darling Janrae Frank :D

*Soul*

pigman 06-10-2005 11:57 AM

Joe Bright Rules!

Yeah, I read both of those novels already. They're fucking awesome! (Can I say fucking on this site?) They're not exactly Gothic, other than the setting. They're more mystery/suspense/thriller. But they were both great!

I'd also recommend Silence of the Lambs. I know, everybody's probably already read that book, but I thought of it because The Key has that same kind of intense action and a great demented villain. :twisted:

Kapooshi 06-10-2005 06:24 PM

The Key

I read The Reflection (loved it) but haven't read The Key. Do you think it's as good as The Reflection?

I looked on the web site. I love the picture on the main page. The scrapbooks are pretty cool too.

Epiphany 06-13-2005 08:06 AM

at this time I am reading The Books of Blood by Clive Barker

pigman 06-13-2005 09:51 AM

Yes

Definitely read The Key. I liked it even more than The Reflection.

ThwanCondu 06-13-2005 07:05 PM

(afterglow, Camus rocks!)

Trying to get through Dracula, but summer always seems to slow me down hugely.

ThwanCondu 06-13-2005 07:20 PM

I may look into those.

Everyone go and check out Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake. Or at least look it up on Amazon. first of three books that are a huge part of my life. Mervyn Peake was so beautiful! I swear you'll love it. (Though if you're going in for plot...not much happens. But it's the most vivid world you'll ever visit.)

kerioctober 06-16-2005 03:42 PM

I looked up Titus Groan on Amazon and they look like something I'd enjoy. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm always looking for something new to read. Check out The Reflection and The Key. Several of my friends read them as well and they liked them as much as I did.

ice 06-16-2005 07:40 PM

I've read a ton of books.. are you looking for "goth" novels in particular? If so I won't be able to recommend any at all. :D

ice 06-16-2005 09:15 PM

Lol.

I didn't actually read the post. I looked at the title and skimmed the first few posts and.. yeah. :oops:

I second that ^ motion.

ThwanCondu 06-16-2005 10:10 PM

uh...what's a shill fest?

kerioctober 06-17-2005 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ice
I've read a ton of books.. are you looking for "goth" novels in particular? If so I won't be able to recommend any at all. :D

They don't have to be Gothic, just something good.

pigman 06-17-2005 05:00 PM

TStone,

I looked at your web site and love your poem "Eaters of the Dead." Great mood and imagery. Oops, sorry for the compliment. I guess that means your writing now loses all credibility, right?

pigman 06-18-2005 07:26 AM

You do have a point there. I'm new to the board myself, which I suppose may seem suspect. But I don't know anybody else on this board and certainly didn't agree with the other posts for any other reason than I happened to agree with them. I certainly have nothing to gain from someone buying one book or another, so I really don't care.

As for your writing, though it may have sounded completely sarcastic, I really did like it. Me, I can't write worth a shit, so I always admire someone who can put sentences together that are actually worth reading.