Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Fashion (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Too Old for ****** clothing? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=22144)

Shadows_Jukebox 03-15-2010 12:35 AM

Too Old for ****** clothing?

My twenty five year old cousin has started to get into the loli goth style, and I've been drafted into making some dresses for her. However is twenty five too old to be wearing cute frilly dresses since you generally see it being worn by young teenage girls? And if you think it could be worn by someone in their 20's how would you suggest to make the style look better for someone who is european and 5"10?

Malice In Wonderland 03-15-2010 01:30 PM

Always looks stupid.
No questions.

honeythorn 03-15-2010 02:47 PM

I think 25 is getting on a bit for that type of clothing. It might be a laugh when you're 17 or 18 say , but 25 is taking it a bit far in age terms.

If the skirts are long then it may..just may be able to be done in a reasonably tasteful victorian type of fashion, but if it's those short little frilly maid type dresses, with aprons and bows and fluffy toys and shit, , then absolutely no.

Pineapple_Juice 03-15-2010 08:37 PM

I'm going to have to agree with Malice and say that it always looks shit, regardless of the age. When you're getting on in years though it looks creepy. In a bad way.

Entropic 03-15-2010 09:05 PM

Skip that crap and just go for Victorian-style stuff. It looks way more elegant, and doesn't have the creepy vibe of "I want it in the bum by six tentacles". Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Malice In Wonderland 03-16-2010 04:34 AM

Victorian style stuff generally looks shit too.
It makes me look at people and think that they're trying so hard and still look like crap.

Shadows_Jukebox 03-16-2010 07:53 AM

To be honest I'm not a fan of the victorian look, I love corsets but generally people tend to go overboard with it all by making themselves look like a 19th century hooker... So that does not sound more elegant. I was thinking of making her something similair to a 1950's sundress, but with some ****** detailing and a corseted waist. However I'm worried that would be taking it too far away from the loli goth theme, and she's paying me to make them for her sooo I want to make it work.

Pineapple_Juice 03-16-2010 02:16 PM

Well who cares if it looks like crap. If loli is what she wants, then let her have it.

Saya 03-16-2010 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadows_Jukebox (Post 608361)
To be honest I'm not a fan of the victorian look, I love corsets but generally people tend to go overboard with it all by making themselves look like a 19th century hooker... So that does not sound more elegant. I was thinking of making her something similair to a 1950's sundress, but with some ****** detailing and a corseted waist. However I'm worried that would be taking it too far away from the loli goth theme, and she's paying me to make them for her sooo I want to make it work.

I don't think 25 is too old for babydoll dresses per se, but yeah the l o l i t a look is silly on anyone, and really if you're looking like a french maid you're more than likely to get a lot of unwanted attention.

I think my big beef with lo lita is that you're really trying to look like you're a kid again, and its taken seriously (or supposed to be), and you end up looking ridiculous, but I like kinderwhore which is self aware at least and political at best, why not take inspiration from kinderwhore fashion while you're designing?

You should probably sketch out your plans and go over it with her, but like Pineapple said, she's the one paying for it so if she disagrees and insists on some ridiculous outfit, its her money and her funeral.

Princess Sandi 03-17-2010 10:27 AM

loli can look good at a lot of ages, but 25?
I am 17 and outgrowing the petticoats of youth...
Tell her that she may want to start going with a longer, more flowy look and not floofy.
Plus 5'10" is giant. people that height should not be wearing shorter style skirts - we sub-5 feet people aren't fans of seeing people's knickers all the time.

But it's whatever she chooses - some people are more comfortable in cut-off tripp pants and other people like petticoats. We can deal.

Lolly PopMuzik 03-17-2010 12:33 PM

Thanks to this entry, I've looked around on that community again and their daily_loli spinoff, and if she's definitely pushing 25 in the physical department, she ought to go classic if she wants to stay but if there's still a babyface, maybe she'd get away with what they call the radioactive cupcake shit. It will also help if she's in on the joke of loli looking like an old fashioned infantile giant. If she takes it too seriously and doesn't react well to being told she looks too old to work the younger, sweeter styles, she should reevaluate why she's there.

I've also found stuff there that looks like something a 50s housewife would don (like flower/shopping/recipe/alphabet/food patterns), maybe she'd dig that.

(Take out the periods if you want to see the links)

Malice In Wonderland 03-17-2010 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess Sandi (Post 608434)
some people are more comfortable in cut-off tripp pants and other people like petticoats. We can deal.

Yet they both look bloody retarded.

Still Jack 03-17-2010 02:49 PM

Everybody has the right to look like a twat, and those people have a very special right to be ridiculed.

Black_Chic 03-17-2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropic (Post 608341)
Skip that crap and just go for Victorian-style stuff. It looks way more elegant, and doesn't have the creepy vibe of "I want it in the bum by six tentacles". Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I agree with Entropic.

Pineapple_Juice 03-19-2010 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess Sandi (Post 608434)
Plus 5'10" is giant. people that height should not be wearing shorter style skirts - we sub-5 feet people aren't fans of seeing people's knickers all the time.

Maybe you fucking midgets should grow a little taller, or stop creepily staring at other peoples' knickers.

ape descendant 03-19-2010 05:18 PM

Short skirts? Go for it!! Come on that has got to be somesort of fun, 25 is still pretty young. I'm not personally a big fan of the mysteriously censored style but hell, if it floats your boat..

Raza 03-23-2010 06:23 PM

'Too old' might be the wrong question. If she's not particularly young looking for her age, then maybe she won't 100% look the part... but a good looking 25yo well dressed in gothic ****** could easily outshine 90% of the people I see at goth parties, if not someone of actual ****** age dressed the same.

Doing your hair and makeup well and picking and matching the right clothes together with natural looks and build will make four fifths of the look. You can miss one or two things on a Perfect Picture list if you compensate elsewhere, and if she's really into that style then that's what I would advice shooting for.

vindicatedxjin 03-24-2010 08:15 PM

I love l0lita with a passion...if I lived in Japan I would seriously consider living the lifestyle... I must say though, not to be a bitch. You have to have a certain body type to pull it off.

vindicatedxjin 03-24-2010 08:22 PM

http://pwbeat.publishersweekly.com/b...9/250308_1.jpg Love

http://www.stylewylde.com/storage/ci...rlbigshoes.jpg

Love

http://sfdoubletake.files.wordpress..../08/btssb1.jpg

Love... I'm into more of the Hime style.

vindicatedxjin 03-24-2010 08:25 PM

http://shattered-tranquility.net/wp-...oads/vers1.jpg I wish more people liked this style I would totally rock one of those dresses.

Luv2H8 03-24-2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vindicatedxjin (Post 609536)

That is so pretty! ^_^

And HAWT!

vindicatedxjin 03-24-2010 08:45 PM

I KNOW? I don't understand how so many people hate it.

Luv2H8 03-24-2010 08:47 PM

How can you hate l0l1ta clothing?
That's like not finding HumanePain huggably adorable.

vindicatedxjin 03-24-2010 08:49 PM

.....0.o huggably adorable?

Luv2H8 03-24-2010 08:52 PM

...what.
STOP STARING!!