Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Terry pratchett (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=14872)

Mr E Nigma 03-23-2009 11:57 PM

Terry pratchett

Founder of "The Disc World" series and co-writer of "Good Omens" with Neil Gaiman.

His Disc World series is quite a funny one, it's also still going...

Minyaliel 03-24-2009 02:27 AM

Oh, I love Terry Pratchett, he´s so funny. I´m almost through the Discworld books now, only got five or so left.

a morbid curiosity 03-24-2009 09:59 AM

Meh.
I read The Colour of Magic ages ago, but I didn't really like it.

Mr E Nigma 03-24-2009 10:17 AM

It was his first, but it's definitely not the best of the series, I'm only about 6 books in, there are some I really love, and some i'm not as much a fan of. But I do enjoy the stories either way.

And even if you don't like the Discworld series, at least read "Good Omens" it's well worth it, that is if your into parodies... or satire..

HavelockV 03-25-2009 06:00 PM

As I have mentioned elsewhere, Mr. Pratchett is one of my most-esteemed authors. I have not yet completed all of his Discworld tomes, but of the ones I have read I believe that 'Monstrous Regiment' is my personal favourite.

And of course, Lord Vetinari is a wonderful character. Charming, really. *grins*

Mr E Nigma 03-25-2009 09:23 PM

Haha, sounds interesting. So far of the first 6 books of his I believe The Light Fantastic is my favorite, I wish I had more time to progress further at a quicker pace in the series.

Minyaliel 03-30-2009 06:56 AM

For some reason, I think my all- time favourites are "Masquerade" and "Wee Free Men". Absolutely hilarious.

Despanan 03-30-2009 07:22 AM

I'm a big fan of his work. "Small Gods" and "Night Watch" are my two favorites.

It's really a shame he's developed Alzheimer's.

Mr E Nigma 03-30-2009 11:49 AM

Yeah, he said he'd keep writing so long as he remembers he can... hah

Saya 03-30-2009 11:59 AM

I've read Good Omens, keep meaning to pick up more books but I wasn't quite sure where to start.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Despanan (Post 524707)
It's really a shame he's developed Alzheimer's.

Really? Thats very depressing.

Mr E Nigma 03-30-2009 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saya (Post 524793)
I've read Good Omens, keep meaning to pick up more books but I wasn't quite sure where to start.

Really? Thats very depressing.

I was lucky enough to be forced into reading "Good Omens" in school which lead to my introduction to him and Neil Gaiman as authors.

Saya 03-30-2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr E Nigma (Post 524794)
I was lucky enough to be forced into reading "Good Omens" in school which lead to my introduction to him and Neil Gaiman as authors.

What awesome school was this?!

I've been into Gaiman for a while, I got Good Omens as a Christmas gift from an ex, he is really into Pratchett, would probably have looked into his books sooner if it weren't for the fact that it reminds me of him >.>

Mr E Nigma 03-30-2009 12:18 PM

The Art Institue of Washington, while I lived in Washington DC

We had to read it and then create a character we could add to the story that would effect the story without changing the story. Our teacher was awesome haha. Like we had to have someone do something behind the scenes that would bring about an action that actually happened in the book.

You know the bit about the box with the letters, I think there were 3. I added another letter and another person in there and bullshitted some stuff his letter said and what he had to do. He was a Ded-Ex employee and made deliveries on a daily basis. My teacher loves Good Omens, so he was really happy he could use it for the assignment.

disorder 04-16-2009 03:22 AM

Good Omens was the best time of my life.