Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   General (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I dont read much books. (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=13676)

maromi12d3 12-10-2008 05:35 PM

I dont read much books.

I have no favorite writer. I have no favorite genre. Am I less intelligent? Is that common around here? Am I the only one? *looks up into the sky* Seriously is that ok if I dont read? I honestly think its because of my attention span.

*edit* I previously typed "I have no favorite artist."

*edit again* I already know I am not intelligent but are people who dont read considered less intelligent here?

gothicusmaximus 12-10-2008 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maromi12d3
I have no favorite writer. I have no favorite genre. Am I less intelligent? Is that common around here? Am I the only one? *looks up into the sky* Seriously is that ok if I dont read? I honestly think its because of my attention span.

*edit again* I already know I am not intelligent but are people who dont read considered less intelligent here?

If your attention span prevents you from reading, you need to medicate yourself.

Refraining from reading doesn't make you less inherently intelligent, but it makes you less literate and eloquent, which will allow even your dumbest peers to excel past you.
Take the title of this thread, for instance. I assume that in posting this you intend to pose a serious query; however, your abysmal grammar has rendered me incapable of viewing you as anything but a bad joke.

maromi12d3 12-10-2008 05:41 PM

No bad joke. :D

maromi12d3 12-10-2008 05:43 PM

I also think my bad grammar could be a result of my reading or lack off XD

$haDe 12-10-2008 05:45 PM

Quote:

Nope.

You knew the answer, why asking , now ?

gothicusmaximus 12-10-2008 05:46 PM

That's what I'm saying. Because you don't read books, your grammar is pathetic, and even if, as unlikely as I view this to be, you are in fact intelligent, people like myself will for this reason assume you are an idiot.
Not that your grammar is the only thing about you that suggests idiocy, I'm just providing an example.

maromi12d3 12-10-2008 05:50 PM

Are you going by the idiot in the dictionary or the more insulting one people tend to throw around in flame wars?

gothicusmaximus 12-10-2008 05:53 PM

Quote:

Are you going by the idiot in the dictionary or the more insulting one people tend to throw around in flame wars?

What the hell are you talking about? The primary definition of idiot is the insulting one.
See, your difficulty with reading is causing you to appear dumb, and I, a smart person like those who control the world, am becoming frustrated by you. This scenario will be repeated throughout your life unless you take immediate action and pray it isn't too late.

Sanguine Mind 12-10-2008 05:53 PM

Maromi, To be honest You've proven time after time that you are NOT smart.

That being said, you should start reading more- It's very rewarding.

maromi12d3 12-10-2008 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
What the hell are you talking about? The primary definition of idiot is the insulting one.
See, your difficulty with reading is causing you to appear dumb, and I, a smart person like those who control the world, am becoming frustrated by you. This scenario will be repeated throughout your life unless you take immediate action and pray it isn't too late.

Sorry about that. It appears my twin sister got most of the brain during pregnancy. :D And my other sister has more street smarts and is very cunning person. I am just not smart. Sorry.

gothicusmaximus 12-10-2008 06:00 PM

Don't apologize to me. I'm not disappointed-- in fact, the fewer peers who might oppose my dominance the better. You're only letting yourself down.

maromi12d3 12-10-2008 06:02 PM

Nah as the saying goes ignorance is bliss but I dont know if this really applies to it. I know my limits and thats all I suppose.

KontanKarite 12-10-2008 06:03 PM

Conceding to being stupid is no excuse for mediocrity. If you're happy with where you're at intellectually, then be so. If not, read more and learn something. Joking about being stupid isn't that funny. It's kind of alarming.

Alarica 12-10-2008 06:09 PM

Quote:

Sorry about that. It appears my twin sister got most of the brain during pregnancy. :D And my other sister has more street smarts and is very cunning person. I am just not smart. Sorry.

It's sad you feel this way you know. I'm sure that you have talents in your own right. Dont sell yourself short! You are far more intelligent than you give yourself credit for. Suck it up, find a book you enjoy and get reading! Certainly something I havent done too much of recently.

maromi12d3 12-10-2008 06:11 PM

Thank you for the input everyone. :) Thank you Alarica. Now I shall regret posting this. The trolls are coming I smell them! DX

KontanKarite 12-10-2008 07:01 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUkpR2Q6Oy8

In closing, I give you this one song. :)

Wrath 12-10-2008 08:17 PM

And the troll arriveths....

Seriously you need to read something. Even a comic book will teach you something.

KontanKarite 12-10-2008 08:29 PM

Oh no! Another troll?

Wrath 12-10-2008 08:32 PM

Yup we need entertainment to :D

Steppenwolf 12-10-2008 08:44 PM

Quote:

I am a writer , where should I start ...? :/

*Rant*
You are less intelligent because you are missing a lot of knowledge and experiences : What you read , how you use your eyes , how to focus on the letters , the touch of the paper , using your brain while you memorize names ... Think about it ... It's a lot.

If you are proud about being "less intelligent" , let me tell you that I know your type and I just don't want you in my neighbourhood : Your species are usually making those stupid questions , you know ..."Seriously is that ok if I dont read?"

Of course It's not fucking ok for some people . And it surprises me everyone is treating you like this .
I'm not going to jump in the cookies game just because you "humbly" asked .
Idiocy is idiocy . I don't forgive a dog's shit because it has a nice disguise .
You are a fucking dog's shit .
You wanted answers and attention , don't you?
Happy now?
Cookie?

jack_the_knife 12-10-2008 11:20 PM

I wouldn't say your necessarily less intelligent. But, like gothicus pointed out, you'll find that your grammar isn't exactly exemplary. Also, your vocabulary will have massive shortcomings if you don't read, meaning that you won't be able to phrase things as artistically or as eloquently as someone who reads proper literature on a regular basis.

Sanguine Mind 12-10-2008 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack_the_knife
I wouldn't say your necessarily less intelligent. But, like gothicus pointed out, you'll find that your grammar isn't exactly exemplary. Also, your vocabulary will have massive shortcomings if you don't read, meaning that you won't be able to phrase things as artistically or as eloquently as someone who reads proper literature on a regular basis.

What an Impressive display of Elegant wordplay from Jack.

Eclipsing the Son 12-10-2008 11:49 PM

I'm with Steppenwolf on this one. Nothing is more revolting than someone who takes pride in their own ignorance. You were supposed to stop thinking that being stupid was cute shortly after you began your education. I've been reading habitually since I learned how and I suggest you take it up as soon as possible.

There are few hobbies you can pick out as rewarding as reading. It exercises you eyesight and comprehension. Reading the thoughts of others will open your mind and elevate your understanding of your fellow man. It is not just an excellent source of entertainment, as reading a book takes up a good amount of time without much spending or effort, but it will cause your conversational skills to flourish as well.

The list goes on. There is absolutely NO reason not to read. Ignorance is not cute or positive and being content with being stupid when you could just as easily choose otherwise is unforgivable.

Alarica 12-11-2008 12:52 AM

It does help to remember that not everyone was encouraged to appreciate books as a child, so something that is a pleasure to many is seen as something you only do in school because you are forced to, and never learn to enjoy. And this is then carried on into adulthood. Not everybody is capable of being egotistical enough to just say 'I'm not thick, I'm just me and I like that'.

Corpsey 12-11-2008 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eclipsing the Son
I'm with Steppenwolf on this one. Nothing is more revolting than someone who takes pride in their own ignorance. You were supposed to stop thinking that being stupid was cute shortly after you began your education. I've been reading habitually since I learned how and I suggest you take it up as soon as possible.

There are few hobbies you can pick out as rewarding as reading. It exercises you eyesight and comprehension. Reading the thoughts of others will open your mind and elevate your understanding of your fellow man. It is not just an excellent source of entertainment, as reading a book takes up a good amount of time without much spending or effort, but it will cause your conversational skills to flourish as well.

The list goes on. There is absolutely NO reason not to read. Ignorance is not cute or positive and being content with being stupid when you could just as easily choose otherwise is unforgivable.

I thoroughly agree.

That makes me feel happy to be a bookworm.