Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Music (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Gothic Metal vs. Gothic Rock ? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=26173)

Ezderah 04-14-2012 04:03 PM

Gothic Metal vs. Gothic Rock ?

I was wondering how come many people who enjoy Gothic Rock music consider Gothic Metal as neither Gothic or metal ? Hopefully someone be enlightened enough to explain the differences to me since I'm still neophyte :( in the alternative music scene. And what bands would you consider as relative to Gothic Metal and worthy of listen to ?

Renatus 04-14-2012 04:35 PM

Gothic metal contrary to it's name has about as much to do with gothic rock and the goth subculture, as I have genetic ties to jellyfish. Sure both Jellyfish and I have appendages that we use for grabbing things and yes both Jellyfish and I can float in water, but it doesn't mean we're the same species.

First off you have the basic differences between rock and metal. Gothic rock has subtleties while gothic metal merely has power.

Hydrodyssodia 04-16-2012 11:09 AM

Swear to god, i don't come here in months and this is the first thread I see...
Gothic metal IS metal. It has no ties to goth rock/subculture as mentioned above, save for the teens that listen to it and call themselves goth, which are actually more numerous that the "real" goth subculture.
So, bands, I sort of like some Type O Negative songs. That's about it for me. I once heard another band I like but never found out it's name. You'd probably do better listening to Doom or Post-Black.
E: Oh, yeah, musical differences. Gothic rock, post-punk, deathrock, etc, mostly come from punk with, i dunno, glam influences and some other stuff.
Gothic metal is just death metal + doom metal with some chick singing.

biohazard 04-20-2012 12:48 AM

I find the term "gothic metal" used incorrectly many times, which can even be offensive. Bands like Lacuna Coil are sometimes classified under the label, but do not fit at all. Some symphonic metal bands are also placed in the category, especially when they use the "beauty and the beast" type of vocals. As a fan of symphonic and gothic metal, I feel offended when bands like HIM or Evanescence are classified under this. You can also add these so called "goth' teens that listen to HIM and call themselves goth, giving bad reputation to both metalheads and goths alike. We don't need more negative media attention than there already is.
I love gothic metal though, bands like Moonspell, Tristania, Sirenia, Cradle of Filth, Draconian, and Theatres des vampires.

Jon Wane 05-13-2012 08:11 AM

I don't really listen to "Gothic Metal", unless you count Type-O-Negative as that (and they are pretty much the exception to this, save for an occasional dose of Creaming Jesus).

I know TON's pretty cheesy in some respects, but I actually consider myself a very proud and unabashed fan of their music (Though I genuinely think some of their most popular songs are some of their absolute worst/lamest.. BE MY DRUIDESS? Oh, barf!)

The lines are a bit blurred when you start looking at certain "gothy" Doom music, but I don't generally consider it Goth, as it is a style and subculture all its own.

It's just not my bag... but then most everything considered "goth" after the late 80's never really appealed to me, or, if it did, I fell out of love with it very quickly.

Cothurnatus 05-20-2012 08:02 AM

Guys, we do have democracy! Everyone chooses he likes. As for me I like Old School Gothic rock.