Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

horrorgirl 12-13-2005 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blushing Heliophobe
Hmmm... Preppy Girl? You should probably introduce yourself.

By the way, just out of curiousity, why did you pick that name?

I'm all about accepting others, but...I'm just curious if you did that on purpose or took a wrong turn?

On their profile they say that they are happy that they are not goth. I smell troll.

Dr. Faust 12-13-2005 05:44 PM

Speaking of Kelly Armstrong, you should also check out her Women of the Othwerword series. I also think the stuff Laurell Hamilton does with Faeries is better than her vampire stuff and Ive got to give a shout out to my favoruite Vampire author, Nancy Collins, and her punk/goth kick a*s vampire Sonya Blue.

Alain 12-13-2005 10:16 PM

I have just picked up "The Picture of Dorian Gray", obviously a copy of the first printing and not the censored one. Ah, love!

devereaux 12-13-2005 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alain
I have just picked up "The Picture of Dorian Gray", obviously a copy of the first printing and not the censored one. Ah, love!

That is a wonderful read! I am quite the Wilde fan though.

A site I recommend to everyone for some literature is the Literature-Network Online:

http://www.online-literature.com/

It has tons of free literature (its where I read Picture of Dorian Gray) to read over the internet, lots of literary classics, its kept me busy through many late nights, and maybe it will help others do something constructive on those nights where there isnt much sleep. Sorry, I know this might belong in SHILL, but its just a site where people can find literature to read and I think its more useful here in this thread.

rockandrose 12-13-2005 10:34 PM

This gets better. More Oscar Wilde fans.

A picture of Dorian Gray is excellent.

Blushing Heliophobe 12-13-2005 11:51 PM

Horror - I want to try not to be hypocritical and accept all...plus, I forgot to introduce myself too. I was trying to be nice, not snooty. But yes, my untrained n00b nose also caught a faint whiff of Eau de Trollesque...

Anyways, I also trudge through The Law by Plato while I eat my morning Cookie Crisp.

I will check out Wilde myself now...hadn't had the pleasure yet!

Noire 12-14-2005 02:28 AM

At the mo, Im reading blackwood farm by Anne Rice, I was reading dracula by bram stoker but I got bored of that.

Blushing Heliophobe 12-14-2005 02:37 AM

That one is good. More of the succubus/cross-genderal eroticism, not that it bothers me but some folks tire of that easily.

soggypicklemuncher 12-14-2005 04:06 PM

Anyone here ever visited the Project Gutenberg site?

Corpus_Draconis 12-20-2005 09:43 AM

I'm about to start reading Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I hope it's good, but I doubt it'll be as good as my english prof makes it out to be. He's obsessed with it.

butterflyfearie 12-20-2005 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by endemonidia
Anansi Boys, by Neil Gaiman. It has cobwebs on the cover, is about the two sons of a Spider God and was purchased at an official Neil Gaiman book reading/interview/signing - I really had no choice.

Insanley jelouse, got to wait 'till xmas for my copy. Stooopid Jesus.
Just in the process of finishing High Fidelity by Nick Hornby

Scythan 12-20-2005 05:09 PM

Nearly finished The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons. It was okay, but near the end it has gotten preachy, stating that Love is the uniting force of the universe...

Scythan 12-21-2005 04:56 PM

I am now reading Endymion; same author, the next book in the series. I forgive Simmons for the end of the last book, as this one is not letting me down.

winged_dreams 12-22-2005 11:41 PM

Dune by Frank Herbert.

Scythan 12-25-2005 02:22 PM

I'm reading Rise of Endymion; the fourth in the series. It's still good.

PhilSmith 12-28-2005 05:22 PM

Just about to pick up Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse.

Lenore 12-29-2005 07:06 PM

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

winged_dreams 12-30-2005 09:04 AM

Oh! Ender's Game is a good book. I read it in my sci fi class. I hope you enjoy it.

ghostposts 01-01-2006 06:06 PM

Just finished "The Undead", permuted press' zombie anthology. They juiced up the old shambling mess, stepping away from the stereotypes for some gory fun. Many of the stories are thought-provoking. My favorite has t.v. producers capture zombies, sticks them in an underground labyrinth, then send in humans to try to survive and turns it into reality t.v.

good social commentary on that one.

http://www.undeadanthology.com

Metatron 01-01-2006 07:15 PM

Narcissus and Goldmund by Herman Hesse

FenrisQueen 01-02-2006 02:05 PM

I'm rereading The Picture Of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde.

Metatron 01-02-2006 06:56 PM

What a wonderful book!

Noire 01-03-2006 07:41 AM

Blackwood farm - Anne Rice