Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

Miss Absynthe 10-10-2012 11:01 PM

The Little Prince.. and it makes me cry like a baby every single freaking time. :|

Cayora 10-11-2012 08:04 PM

I am a bit less than halfway through The Orphan Palace by Joseph Pulver. I am really impressed. I love the poetic writing and the darkness of it. In the introduction, it is described as "if On the Road had been written about Henry Lee Lucas," which seems accurate to me. It is full of fun references to other classic weird fiction and horror. The writing is just gorgeous, without being the slightest bit lush. The violence is graphic and frankly a bit upsetting. But that is what I want in this sort of a book. It is highly recommended.

BourbonBoy 10-19-2012 07:13 PM

Almost done with "Moby Dick" and figured I could use a little high adventure, straight to the point brain candy. I think I'll read some Robert E. Howard "Conan" stories for a few bit

ape descendant 10-20-2012 11:22 AM

Hey, I just started Moby Dick the other day! :)

BourbonBoy 10-24-2012 08:35 AM

I'm enjoying the overall story, but the way Melville seems to get sidetracked with random stuff is frustrating. However, one must carry on when reading a classic :)

Thorn-v 10-24-2012 05:12 PM

Do You Think What You Think You Think? by Julian Baggini and Jeremy Stangroom. I like it. It is more of a read and then take a quiz type book, but it definitely makes me think. It challenges point of view without being annoying or irritating about it.

tessla-jane 10-24-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Keaton (Post 701781)
Just finished reading a fantastic anthology called Enter at Your Own Risk: Fires and Phantoms. My review...

Although gay-themed writing has come out of the closet in the last decade, there seems to be a self-imposed closet in the genre. For some reason, much of it strays into the bodice-ripper territory of the Harlequin Romance penny novel. We are traveling down a nice plot and STOP INSERT EROTIC comes along. Enter At Your Own Risk: Fires and Phantoms breaks that mold with a fantastic collection of Gothic ghost tales of the gay flavor.

There is the touch of erotic here and there. There is love lost and love avenged. Some come out of the closet and some wish they had. There are two stellar Gothic classics included among the modern writers. Edith Wharton’s “The Eyes” and “In Kropfsberg Keep” by Ralph Adams Cram remind us that we’ve been in literature long before we were allowed to be literature. Among the current crop, there are a few standout tales here. Robbie Anderson’s “When You are Right” and B.E. Scully’s “Time For One More Show” are both intensely frightening stories of revenge from beyond the grave. “The Neglected Ones” By Joshua Skye is a haunting tale of loneliness and the depths to which a young man will go to end those feelings. Richard Hall’s masterpiece “Country People” is included here. “Promises in the Dark, Whispers at Dawn” by Vincent Waters paints a vicious and violent picture of guilt, perceived sin, and hate. T. Fox Dunham’s “Last Dance in the Rain” explores fear, isolation, and panic in a wonderfully accurate Civil war setting.

Seventeen stories and a fantastic introduction by Robert Dunbar round out this marvelous anthology. Each one captures the Gothic tradition established by Poe, Byron, Shelley and others a century ago. Haunting, painful, mournful, vengeful… make sure this one’s in your trick or treat bag this year!

I just finished this book and I loved it!

Xombie 10-26-2012 10:30 PM

I've been sifting through Joyce Carol Oates shorts. I'm even more into her stories now that I've been living in the south.

InannaExmorte 11-15-2012 05:09 PM

Just got done reading Edgar Switchblade. Pretty cool and very strange. Writte by L. Wyatt. (lonesome Wyatt from Those Poor Bastards and Lonesome Wyatt and the Holy Spooks)

Fruitbat 11-18-2012 08:23 PM

I'm too embarrassed to list the books I'm reading at the moment. I'm so broke, I can only afford books from the recycle centre, and most of those are historical romances, or books that are so bad, they don't even get into second hand book shops, but they are however 50cents a book...

Although I do have Thoreau's Walden for xmas from a second hand book shop. Or may be it was the picture book on dinosaurs that was meant for me.

BourbonBoy 11-18-2012 09:35 PM

Reading before bed is "R@pe: Sex Violence History" by Joanna Burke after seeing MissA and Saya discuss it in another thread. It's one of the most informative, and difficult, non-fiction books I've ever read.

Miss Absynthe 11-18-2012 11:32 PM

Oh, sweetie.. it is not 'before bed' type of reading. :(

BourbonBoy 11-19-2012 12:43 PM

Yeah, I kinda figured that. The stats and even the arguments that have been made just in modern times alone are fucking infuriating.

Saya 11-19-2012 02:45 PM

I really appreciate the focus she puts on rapists though. I wish there was a statistic for how many people are rapists alongside how many people are victims.

That said, the book made me appreciate how awful the criminal justice system can be, even for rapists and alleged rapists (did you get to the part yet about the black guy who was falsely accused, but became a rapist in the prison system? The one To Kill A Mocking Bird was based on? Can't remember his name...)

BourbonBoy 11-19-2012 08:41 PM

Yeah, I remember that part. I was so pissed off I put the book down for a few days. I'm just now working my way through the exhibitionist chapter.

Xombie 11-20-2012 07:51 AM

A bunch of Flannery O'Connor shorts.

Class-Punk 11-26-2012 04:50 PM

I've been skimming the Vivekachudamani.

Pineapple_Juice 12-16-2012 12:13 AM

Sandman Slim. It's okay thusfar, nothing brilliant.

Saya 12-20-2012 01:59 PM

Columbine by Dave Cullen. Only a little ways in and already its making me realize that we still have huge assumptions about it.

Saya 12-30-2012 09:52 PM

I read The Contract With God trilogy by Will Eisner, it was pretty good. I gotta trust the Goodreads recommendations more.

I also read The Exorcist, was actually not scary. It was obscene, and I'm not for censorship or anything like that, but I notice a huge difference between how men write sexual violence and how women and everyone else writes sexual violence. Like I notice with men it feels more gratuitous, its shocking and gross but it also doesn't feel as horrible as it should be; in the Exorcist yeah the demon making Regan masturbate in front of everyone is gross and what I mean when I say obsence, and its truly the worst the book has to offer. But its gross for the spectator, Regan herself is totally unaffected, has no memory, is not traumatized, etc, it has nothing to do with her. The movie did include those scenes only it was way toned down and overall I think the movie is way scarier and way better.

Now reading A Tree Grows In Brooklyn.

CuckooTuli 01-03-2013 03:01 AM

Just finished the third volume of Sandman, by Neil Gaiman, and so far I'm just completely blown away. I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of Neil's fiction, but perfect it ain't... this, though... it's without flaw. Fucking brilliant. I've been meaning to read it for years, and am just kicking myself for taking so long to get around to it.

NKR 01-03-2013 06:02 AM

The Taker By Alma Katsu.

The main character's thirst is something else.

BourbonBoy 01-08-2013 10:14 AM

Just finished "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline and rather enjoyed it. Full of amusing moments if you get the 80's references plus it's a total gamer's story.

Saya 01-08-2013 08:00 PM

A Small Killing by Alan Moore. I think this might be my favourite thing by him.

Fruitbat 01-09-2013 02:14 AM

Shhh... don't tell anyone but I'm reading Why people hate america. I'd hate for it to get out that I occassionally reed books that arnt fiksion.