Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Whining (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Is a Vegetarian/Vegan menu SO hard for restaurants? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=23630)

Lydia Deetz 11-23-2010 12:30 PM

Is a Vegetarian/Vegan menu SO hard for restaurants?

With Thanksgiving coming up, I've had food on my mind(can't wait for my Mama's Banana Pudding *yum*) and an old pet peeve of mine came back. Like I said in my introduction, I'm a vegetarian(not a vegan. I'll never be that hardcore) and I know I live in Meat-Loving Mississippi, but eating out shouldn't be such a pain in the ass!

Not just the local places here, but the national ones. I like to want to have a real lunch break when I'm at school or at the mall. Not having to rely on my protein bars(which are expensive) to get me through the day. Sometimes, you just need a meal.

When there's a special occasion with my family/friends and we decide to go out to eat, I do not want to have worry if I will get to enjoy my meal like everyone else. Not wanting to scream at every menu I see that doesn't have anything vegetarian/vegan and having to go against my principle to avoid starving.

Honestly! I'm not a business person at all and even I know that having a vegetarian/vegan option will get you more money. It doesn't even have to be a whole section. Just the option of something of something like a Veggie Burger will make me happy.

Is it that freaking hard? I know the reputation/stigma that gets put on vegetarians and vegans, but I figured restaurant owners wouldn't be stupid enough to pass up the chance of getting more business. Come on, non organic grocery stores know not to leave us out.

honeythorn 11-23-2010 03:45 PM

So once a restaurant has been chosen by whomever is organising the trip, call the restaurant to ask what, if any vegetarian options they have, or look at their website/online menu if they have one to check.

If they don't, ask them if they could please make one for you as it's a very special occasion for the family and you would love to use their restaurant, and not have to change to another because they can't provide a vegetarian option ect ect *lie through your fucking teeth *

DorianAronnax 11-23-2010 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lydia Deetz (Post 643866)
With Thanksgiving coming up, I've had food on my mind(can't wait for my Mama's Banana Pudding *yum*) and an old pet peeve of mine came back. Like I said in my introduction, I'm a vegetarian(not a vegan. I'll never be that hardcore) and I know I live in Meat-Loving Mississippi, but eating out shouldn't be such a pain in the ass!

Not just the local places here, but the national ones. I like to want to have a real lunch break when I'm at school or at the mall. Not having to rely on my protein bars(which are expensive) to get me through the day. Sometimes, you just need a meal.

When there's a special occasion with my family/friends and we decide to go out to eat, I do not want to have worry if I will get to enjoy my meal like everyone else. Not wanting to scream at every menu I see that doesn't have anything vegetarian/vegan and having to go against my principle to avoid starving.

Honestly! I'm not a business person at all and even I know that having a vegetarian/vegan option will get you more money. It doesn't even have to be a whole section. Just the option of something of something like a Veggie Burger will make me happy.

Is it that freaking hard? I know the reputation/stigma that gets put on vegetarians and vegans, but I figured restaurant owners wouldn't be stupid enough to pass up the chance of getting more business. Come on, non organic grocery stores know not to leave us out.

As a committed vegan, I can appreciate your plight, however you have to see this from the perspective of the restaurant. Only approximately 3% of the United States are vegetarian, and only approximately 1% are vegan. (Sources I can find later if you need). It is then safe to assume that 97% of their clients will be meat eaters. It makes no business sense to worry about 3% of their potential market, since making vegetarian meals, and especially vegan meals, is a bit more costly. It keeps costs low. Now, in cities like the one I live in (Los Angeles), their is a fairly large concentration of vegetarians and vegans, so it makes sense to have options. However, in other states, especially in the south where there is a lower concentration of vegetarians, the restaurant has no reason to worry. Now many places I've been to, including several steak houses, have no problem to accommodating special diets. The range of food won't be widest, but I've had some thoroughly enjoyable meals in places I wouldn't expect to find food.

It's also not fair for you, being in the extreme minority of a group, especially when it is a personal choice, to walk into a restaurant demanding accommodation.

Underwater Ophelia 11-23-2010 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DorianAronnax (Post 643913)
As a committed vegan, I can appreciate your plight, however you have to see this from the perspective of the restaurant. Only approximately 3% of the United States are vegetarian, and only approximately 1% are vegan. (Sources I can find later if you need). It is then safe to assume that 97% of their clients will be meat eaters. It makes no business sense to worry about 3% of their potential market, since making vegetarian meals, and especially vegan meals, is a bit more costly. It keeps costs low. Now, in cities like the one I live in (Los Angeles), their is a fairly large concentration of vegetarians and vegans, so it makes sense to have options. However, in other states, especially in the south where there is a lower concentration of vegetarians, the restaurant has no reason to worry. Now many places I've been to, including several steak houses, have no problem to accommodating special diets. The range of food won't be widest, but I've had some thoroughly enjoyable meals in places I wouldn't expect to find food.

It's also not fair for you, being in the extreme minority of a group, especially when it is a personal choice, to walk into a restaurant demanding accommodation.

This. If you want special food, make it yourself.

Pineapple_Juice 11-24-2010 07:55 PM

You can't expect restaurants to cater to a demographic that gives them less than a percentage of their annual income. Who the fuck are you? If you're looking for a restaurant with guaranteed veggie options, go to a vegetarian restaurant or bring something yourself.

I can understand if your rant is only that you dislike the fact that vegetarianism isn't as convenient for you when eating out, but don't blame the restaurants. They make what people want to eat. The large majority of people eat meat.

ALSO. I find it funny that you are so anxious for vegetarian options at your local restaurants when you obviously have no qualms about eating meat so that you don't "starve" when there's nothing appropriate on the menu. Obviously your values and morals pertaining to vegetarianism aren't that strong anyways. Either that or you're a massive bitch. Boohoo, I can't eat at this restaurant, I shall die if I don't have something. GIMME THE MEAT .

I am a vegan and I can always find something on any menu to eat. There has only been ONE exception to that rule when I went to a mexican restaurant that dipped everything in lard, including the chips-and added it to the guacamole. Stop complaining, learn to bring snacks, and make use of your menu. Either that or call ahead.

Catch 11-25-2010 11:25 AM

It might be late, yet I actually make recipes that are easily converted to vegetarian meals. Enough to make a whole dinner for the holidays. The site has tips on converting recipes to be meat free. One tip is the use of vegetable broth. It adds flavor. Margine, is an obvious tip.

http://naomieshomerecipes.blogspot.c...exitarian.html

Saya 11-25-2010 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice (Post 643978)
You can't expect restaurants to cater to a demographic that gives them less than a percentage of their annual income. Who the fuck are you? If you're looking for a restaurant with guaranteed veggie options, go to a vegetarian restaurant or bring something yourself.

I can understand if your rant is only that you dislike the fact that vegetarianism isn't as convenient for you when eating out, but don't blame the restaurants. They make what people want to eat. The large majority of people eat meat.

ALSO. I find it funny that you are so anxious for vegetarian options at your local restaurants when you obviously have no qualms about eating meat so that you don't "starve" when there's nothing appropriate on the menu. Obviously your values and morals pertaining to vegetarianism aren't that strong anyways. Either that or you're a massive bitch. Boohoo, I can't eat at this restaurant, I shall die if I don't have something. GIMME THE MEAT .

I am a vegan and I can always find something on any menu to eat. There has only been ONE exception to that rule when I went to a mexican restaurant that dipped everything in lard, including the chips-and added it to the guacamole. Stop complaining, learn to bring snacks, and make use of your menu. Either that or call ahead.

Yeah, I used to protest going vegan because I relied on restaurants a lot back then, but you don't know until you ask. And its not always salad!

This site has a lot of info about big chains:

http://www.veganeatingout.com/

And Happy Cow has a lot of vegetarian and vegetarian friendly restaurants on its database:
http://www.happycow.net/north_america/

Some things really should have vegetarian options, like dining halls on campuses, and then you have options like getting students to petition, but when you're going out to lunch you do have options.

Lydia Deetz 11-27-2010 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice (Post 643978)

I come back from my vacation and since I'm not sleepy yet, I decide to see if I missed anything.

*lets out a long, heavy sigh*

I'm trying so hard to stay here.

Number One: I don't expect restaurants to cater to me. I know damn well the meat eating customers are the majority and seem to be staying that way for a long time and that vegetarian meals are expensive. I just would like(not demanding to you and others who seem to think that) that there be at least one vegetarian/vegan option since vegetarianism/veganism is growing.

Number Two: Like I've mentionend, I talk a little about where I stand as a vegetarian in my introduction post. Since you obviously didn't read it like many haven't(like it would kill them before they post since I've only joined recently), I made it pretty clear that I'm a vegetarian for my health. Not because I'm an animal lover. I'm also a realist who can and will choose survival over pride. If that makes me a poser in your eyes then that's your own damn problem.

Number Three: If I wanted this to be a serious discussion then I would have put in the General section and with a completely different tone. I posted this for myself. To vent, rant, whine etc. whatever the hell you want to call it. I didn't expect for anyone to reply, but if they wanted to that's fine. What's not fine is how, in the Whining section, when I decide to let out a little frustration that I know damn well won't be fixed anytime soon; I have people like you who feel the need to jump down my throat because I dare to have an opinion you don't agree with. Disagree, I don't mind at all, but to talk down to me. I don't play that.

*Takes a deep breath*

I don't like conflict, I try to avoid it, and keep the peace as much as I can; but I know I can't always do that and I'm not a pushover either. I don't like having to show the side of me that can and will be the bitch that you may think I am, but you and a few others are really pushing it. That's "who the fuck I am?".

Apathy's_Child 11-28-2010 01:27 AM

... Man, you're annoying.

Deadmanwalking_05 11-28-2010 02:37 AM

I think Otis Driftwood has something to say....You're message Otis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIvw...8F25E&index=46

Pineapple_Juice 11-28-2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child (Post 644169)
... Man, you're annoying.

I disagree. I liked the 'homie don't play that' line.

Alan 11-28-2010 07:19 PM

This is a perfectly valid rant, and vegetarianism is a lifestyle that is growing quite fast. Frankly it doesn't make sense that restaurants don't have more vegetarian options and it really does not make sense that people are bitching specifically at you.

Apathy's_Child 11-29-2010 02:14 AM

The rant iitself is perfectly fair. It's the pomposity and the whole holier than though act while taking shit way too seriously that get my goat.

Still Jack 11-30-2010 08:56 AM

Maybe it's because some vegetarians are annoying little shits like you are and they don't want that sort of clientèle. Stop ruining the reputation of nice vegetarians. Bellend.

ape descendant 11-30-2010 09:46 AM

Have you tried going to Asian restaurants? Perhaps an Indian restaurant... it has been my experience that if one wants vegetarian dishes.. those are the kinds of places to hit up... cultural restaurants where vegetarianism is more abundant.

It makes more sense to me to find those sorts of places than to go to a rib joint and wonder why they don't have vegetarian dishes.

Underwater Ophelia 11-30-2010 09:47 AM

Wait, so you mostly eat vegetables, but you'll eat meat if there's nothing else there?

That's not being a vegetarian, dude.

JCC 11-30-2010 10:47 AM

Vegans fucking suck, that's why nobody caters for them.

Alan 11-30-2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia (Post 644374)
Wait, so you mostly eat vegetables, but you'll eat meat if there's nothing else there?

That's not being a vegetarian, dude.

She's asking for a vegetarian menu, not a "For Lydia" menu.

Catch 11-30-2010 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ape descendant (Post 644373)
Have you tried going to Asian restaurants? Perhaps an Indian restaurant... it has been my experience that if one wants vegetarian dishes.. those are the kinds of places to hit up... cultural restaurants where vegetarianism is more abundant.

It makes more sense to me to find those sorts of places than to go to a rib joint and wonder why they don't have vegetarian dishes.

Asian is great. You can request anything to be Buddha style and they will take out the meat. There is a place called "Long Life Vegi House" near here. Everything is Buddha style. They somehow make tofu taste like meat. It's amazing.

PortraitOfSanity 11-30-2010 09:17 PM

Fuck you. Eat meat, twat. We're at the top of the food chain for a damn reason, I didn't go through millions of years of evolution to eat spinach.

ape descendant 11-30-2010 10:36 PM

Spinach is good, however, it is the adaptation on the part of our ancestors eating meat that allowed for the mutation that caused large, hungry brains to evolve, and flourish, instead of dying out like 99% of species before us.

Saya 11-30-2010 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ape descendant (Post 644457)
Spinach is good, however, it is the adaptation on the part of our ancestors eating meat that allowed for the mutation that caused large, hungry brains to evolve, and flourish, instead of dying out like 99% of species before us.

Thats a serious oversimplification about the evolution of man, excludes several other theories and possibly factors (the introduction of starches for example is also theorized to be more important than the adaptation to eat meat, but its silly to attribute our big brains to one factor anyway) and 99% of species before us had diets of all sorts. If you're talking about hominids, all of them are dead too with mixed diets, including the carnivorous Neanderthal. I would say agriculture is probably the reason we're not dead yet.

Of course Gnet makes an excellent case for surviving Neanderthals being among us. Zing!

ape descendant 12-01-2010 12:04 AM

Ha! Like any self respecting Neanderthal would be caught dead on gnet!!!

Underwater Ophelia 12-01-2010 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 644393)
She's asking for a vegetarian menu, not a "For Lydia" menu.

I'm not really sure how this is related to my post.

I was just pointing out that she's getting pretty pissed about places not serving vegetarian food, but since she'll just eat whatever is there (which she said herself), including meat, she's not actually a vegetarian, so why get pissed?

Underwater Ophelia 12-01-2010 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ape descendant (Post 644471)
Ha! Like any self respecting Neanderthal would be caught dead on gnet!!!

Granted, your amount of self-respect is questionable, but here you are, right?