Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

Saya 01-03-2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still Jack (Post 590889)
Oh fuck was it awful. It was as if the author was permanently trying to get the reader to cringe and it wasn't working. It was pretty much a mixture of a book you could purchase in a sexshop and a second rate book that you find for 50 cents in a bargain bin. How she was ever successful is beyond me.

Hahaha, I read a lot of shitty books in 2009 (new resolution: stop reading shitty books) and I'm absolutely convinced anyone can get anything published with some success.

Anndrea 01-03-2010 09:35 PM

Murders in the Rue Morgue E.A.Poe.

predictable? yes sir.

HumanePain 01-04-2010 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows (Post 590893)
Stephen King. "The Stand." Complete & uncut edition.

That is my favorite King novel. The despair. The conquered. The surrender. A depressing catastrophe was never more fascinating!

I am halfway through Barack Obama's Dreams from my father.
Remarkably candid, but then it was written before he had any idea he would become president. He admits using cocaine, pot and booze, and of course the constant stream of cigarettes, but the real meat is the insight into his upbringing in a bigoted world, and his perception of it and how he dealt with it.

I am even more amazed he is President now that I have read what he had to overcome to get there!

Still Jack 01-04-2010 07:07 AM

1984 again.

Tam Li Hua 01-04-2010 07:41 AM

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris. [Yeah yeah, I know..]
The Right Hand of Evil by John Saul.

Recently Finished: The Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls by Emilie Autumn. [Perhaps one of the most intense books I've ever read. Not suggested for anyone prone to cutting, suicidal tendencies, or other self-destructive behaviors.]

Geoluhread 01-04-2010 07:49 AM

The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.

vindicatedxjin 01-04-2010 09:13 AM

Lost horizon- James Hilton

ape descendant 01-05-2010 08:52 AM

"A Distant Mirror, the Calamitous 14th Century" - Barbara W. Tuchman

MollyMac 01-10-2010 09:34 AM

Shelley's Frankenstein... for the first time. How, in my 31 years, I have not read this is beyond me. Like Dracula abd most of Dickens, I had simply assumed that I had due to general cultural literacy.

Next up- Barker's Books of Blood. For old times' sake.

MissCheyenne 01-11-2010 12:08 PM

Catch - 22. I haven't read it before and it was cheap so I thought why not.

JCC 01-11-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissCheyenne (Post 593423)
Catch - 22. I haven't read it before and it was cheap so I thought why not.

It's great.

MissCheyenne 01-11-2010 12:41 PM

I hope it's as good as it's meant to be, I hate being disappointed by books that don't live up to their hype.

Pineapple_Juice 01-11-2010 07:19 PM

And The Hippos Were Boiled In Their Tanks

Lochnar 01-11-2010 08:05 PM

Currently rereading Earth Abides by George R. Stewart

goth_96 01-12-2010 02:56 PM

Gothic Charm School- Jillian Venters, The Goth Bible - Nancy Kilpatrick, and The Lightning Thief - Rick Riordan because they are forcing me to read the lightning thief for a school project.

goth_96 01-12-2010 03:41 PM

Charlotte sometimes - Penelope farmer the song by the cure is great too

Man In Room 5 01-13-2010 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goth_96 (Post 593631)
Charlotte sometimes - Penelope farmer the song by the cure is great too

I read that last November. It was OK considering it was aimed at tween readers caught in pubescent identity crises . Robert Smith was 10 when that book was published. I wonder if it was really a childhood favorite of his or if he picked up on it later. It certainly shares themes with several Cure songs.

the-nihilist 01-13-2010 07:48 AM

Lucifer's Hammer, by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle

Tam Li Hua 01-13-2010 12:28 PM

The Right Hand of Evil by John Saul.

Then, probably start on the Wheel of Time series. Perhaps. Possibly.

CountVonCount 01-13-2010 11:11 PM

Forever Barbie: the Unauthorized Biography of a Real Doll

I went to Barnes & Noble today and had to pick up a couple of their Barbie collector guides...omwagwad...they have pictures and everything, almost every single one. I felt like I did when I discovered Barbie Shanghai - just an N.R.F.B. taking her first plastic-heeled step out into the real, deluxe set, accessories included world.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Man In Room 5 01-15-2010 06:44 AM

Writing The Natural Way--Gabriele Rico

This chick has one--maybe two--creative writing tips and she's made a 260 page book out of them. Gotta love those writing advice books.

Saya 01-19-2010 12:20 AM

The only writing book I read as an adult was Stephen Fry's The Ode Less Traveled, I couldn't stick with practicing poetry but I still like the book and recommend it to anyone who wants to write poetry, and I try to force it on people who make me read their nonsensical angst fest prose.

Anywho, finished The Feminine Mystique today, it took me a while. It was good but she lost me after quoting Freud about homosexuality, saying that homosexuals are basically immature men, and by forcing women to stay home it makes men more feminine and therefore more overtly homosexual. So yeah its horribly heteronormative and completely ignores women of colour and anyone below middle class, but it was 1963, so I don't hold it against her or the rest of the book. Wish she made another edition after psychology stopped treating homosexuality as a mental disorder.

Started Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale.

Saya 01-19-2010 05:33 PM

Aaaaand I have the book finished already, it was that hard to put down. Clearly I need to read more Atwood.

Now reading Mushishi Volume Two! To tie me over until I go to work tomorrow and pick up another novel.

goth_96 01-19-2010 07:05 PM

I am now reading Coroline by Neil Gaiman

Nocturnal Logic 01-19-2010 07:19 PM

I'm currently re-reading The Temporary Autonomous Zone and Ontological Anarchy by Hakim Bey. It's been a while.