Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

Xombie 02-06-2012 02:31 PM

I've been reading a few things, mainly for school. I just finished the play Translations by Brian Friel. It's about the anglicization of Ireland in the 19th century. Having just read A Short History of Ireland to start off the class (Contemporary Irish Literature), it was really interesting to put some of the history into context.

I'm also in the middle of reading Rewilding the World by Caroline Fraser which is a commentary on wildlife conservation on a global scale. Diggin' it.

Aaaand in between it all I'm trying to read 1984 again because I was in 7th grade when I read it the first time, and it didn't all click back then.

MissCheyenne 02-06-2012 02:37 PM

I'm reading a few fantasy books including Prince of the Blood, a beginners guide to quantum physics, some practical guides to basic floristry and I'm reading Unpeople : Britain's Secret Human Rights Abuses again.

Ventis 02-07-2012 02:51 PM

Re-reading the Books of Blood series by Clive Barker. I forgot about them until I started ravaging through my closet cleaning out those pesky dust bunnies.

CyanideandRaspberryTea 02-07-2012 11:48 PM

'Tithe' by Holly Black. It's a teenybopper book, but I've been having a nostalgia period, and I used to read stuff like this when i was younger <3

strigoi 02-10-2012 11:33 AM

I'm rereading Dracula for the billionth time, well perhaps I exaggerate...

Purepsycho 02-18-2012 05:29 PM

Just recently finished Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman - soo good, really enjoyed this not one i'd normally ready but a collegue lent me this as i have a thing for rats :D

Currently reading A lick of Frost by Laurell K Hamilton - 1st one of hers i'm reading and loving the action, darkness and sexualness of it (was given it by a friend, i'm really enjoying it but think i should've started at the begining of the series :S )

And up next on the list is American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Alan 02-18-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xombie (Post 689907)
Aaaand in between it all I'm trying to read 1984 again because I was in 7th grade when I read it the first time, and it didn't all click back then.

When you do, pay attention to the idea of doublethink and the concepts of hermeneutics. I fucking hate it when people read 1984 and all they get from it is the concept of Big Brother. Shows they didn't really read it.

Fruitbat 02-20-2012 03:37 AM

Fifty shades of grey. shhhh....

Victoria Lovecraft 02-23-2012 01:00 PM

Just finished re-re-reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland this morning, and I *was* reading Dante's Inferno before my poor Kindle took a dive and smashed.
:(

typicallydia 02-24-2012 05:11 AM

a lot right now, but the fave atm are - "Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers" by Mary Roach - and "Summer, Fireworks and my Corpse" by Otsuichi.

Ventis 02-24-2012 06:05 AM

Tess Of The D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy

Pineapple_Juice 02-24-2012 06:58 PM

Hunger games

KatieDirge 02-25-2012 03:28 AM

I have counted them up and I have bought 7 books this week but to start off the reading marathon I am currently loving Breverton's Phantasmagoria: A Compendium of Monsters, Myths and Legends.

It is a nice hardback book with a beautiful cover. It features supernatural beings, strange people and lots more. If you love the weird and wonderful then you should check out this book!

XNyarlathotepX 02-28-2012 02:55 AM

Just read "Otherland" by Tad Williams. A dark, twisted, dystopian scifi about a conspiracy by the world's wealthy to upload their minds onto a perfect simulation network built on the dreams and nightmares of stolen children.

CuckooTuli 02-29-2012 07:27 AM

Hysteries by Elaine Showalter. It's a feminist look at hysteria as cultural phenomena. It's been good, although I must admit I was more interested in the historical evolution of psychoanalysis than the topics like Gulf War Syndrome and recovered memory that it's now moved onto. But that's mostly because I love apocryphal stories about Charcot being a mad bastard. :)

Adept of the King 03-09-2012 08:19 AM

i'm reading a collection of H.P.lovecraft. but i'm doing the great mistake to read it in my bed at night...

Victoria Lovecraft 03-09-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adept of the King (Post 691268)
i'm reading a collection of H.P.lovecraft. but i'm doing the great mistake to read it in my bed at night...

I plan on reading HP Lovecraft and Edward Gorey to my future children. Should I have any, that is.

Anyway, at the moment, I'm reading Hamlet. Me gusta.

Saya 03-11-2012 09:14 PM

I just read The Haunting Of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. Actually, I finished it last week but shhh. It was REALLY REALLY good! I'm going to check out We Have Always Lived In The Castle tomorrow after my exam.

wolf moon 03-12-2012 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saya (Post 691346)
I just read The Haunting Of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. Actually, I finished it last week but shhh. It was REALLY REALLY good! I'm going to check out We Have Always Lived In The Castle tomorrow after my exam.

How funny, I'm reading We Have Always Lived in the Castle right now! It's wonderful; I'm just the tiniest bit angry that it's taken me this long to discover Shirley Jackson.

Saya 03-12-2012 06:02 AM

I know, right? The Haunting (1963, of course) is one of my favourite horror films and I missed it in the opening credits when it said it was based on the book.

Of course I rewatched it after I finished the book and am now a little disappointed with the changes they made, and now the movie seems heavy handed.

wolf moon 03-12-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saya (Post 691359)
I know, right? The Haunting (1963, of course) is one of my favourite horror films and I missed it in the opening credits when it said it was based on the book.

Of course I rewatched it after I finished the book and am now a little disappointed with the changes they made, and now the movie seems heavy handed.

Now you've got me wanting to read the book and then watch the movie again.

Just finished We Have Always... and am pretty sure I'm just going to read it again instead of starting a new book. SO good.

Saya 03-13-2012 07:58 PM

Just finished! Its funny, its a fair sized book and so little happens, but I never felt it was tedious or dragging. The only complaint I have at all is that I thought it was fairly obvious who murdered the family.

Now I'm starting Collateral Damage by Chris Hedges and Laila Al-Arian.

satanicangel66689 03-16-2012 08:42 PM

By The Time You Read This I'll Be Dead.

Pineapple_Juice 03-17-2012 12:09 AM

Too many. Exorcist, catching fire, god delusion, storm front, lovecraft...

Saya 03-17-2012 08:59 PM

Attemping From Pews To Polling Places: Faith And Politics In The American Religious Mosaic. I say attempting because if its dry I don't think I'll be able to finish it before its due back.