Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   TV, Movies, & Games (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   What movie did you last watch? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=34)

OnMyOwn 04-18-2004 07:19 AM

Last movie i saw was Duplex, I had a couple of laughs.

black_and_blue 04-18-2004 07:50 AM

at the theatre- LOTR3
on tv- half-watched mona lisa smile on airplane while list'ning to music

MorganScorpion 04-20-2004 04:11 PM

Crazy as Hell with Eric La Salle as Satan - I may ahve spelled his name wrongly, and I can't check as it's gone back to the video hire shop. It's an under-rated straight to video film about the nature of evil. Not as pretentious as it sounds.

Then today "Ravenous" - a take on the Wendigo myth. Excellent movie with Robert Carlyle in it. I'll say no more because I don't want to spoil other people's enjoyment of it; other than its a 9 out of 10.

Daz 04-20-2004 06:30 PM

The Ice Storm. you know there is something really scary about Sigourney Weaver in this movie. something about her face just throws me off each time i see it. it did make me realize thats what Willum Difoe looks like in Boondock Saints. take a look, its really creepy. anyways the movie is good, watched it a long time ago but i recently bought it on dvd and had an afternoon to lounge and watch it. something just neat about Elijah Wood in that film, he's about 16 and just... well.. creepy.

Gypsy2222 04-20-2004 07:02 PM

Mad Max.... The first one.... yay post apocalypticness!!.... lol... Definately a classic, and as I just bought it (again) I decided to watch it.....

juangui30 04-22-2004 10:32 AM

i watch GOTHIKA whit halle berry, i think that it was a very powerful movie because it keep you waiting what the hell will happend next. i reccomments it.

i like MISTIC RIVER too

ice 05-02-2004 06:29 PM

I've been on a movie watching binge recently, I think I've seen at least seven movies in the past two days.

I've seen Time Bandits by Terry Gilliam... I loved it. Hilarious, I don't even know what to say, just brilliant.

Endurance: Shackletons Journey (I think it was called). It was some sort of documentary thing. To say the least it was Mediocre. The narration was half-assed. The shots of the ice were just ... repetitive to the point of sleep. Wow, we get it. There was ice. WHoohoo. The best part of the whole thing was the end. I slept through most of it... though, for a plus, it's photos were good (shown along with reenactments).

Dreamcatcher (the Stephen King story). It was OK. As with most of the movies and books by him, it was too much for me sometimes. The acting was pretty good, didn't notice any sounds out of place (or any for that matter). I'd give it a three out of five.

And Now For Something Completely Different by Monty Python's Flying Circus. I don't know how many times I've seen this. All around great. Hilarious from beginning to end, only two things can describe it: "Fondle my buttocks..." and "My nipples are exploding with delight".

Today I went to the Cinema and saw I'm Not Scared. It's a forgein film about a town, and their ransom... I loved it. Incredible. Powerful. Wow. It was just stunning. My only complaint would be the indoor shots with the fans going. I couldn't hear them... Damn Sound Techs. Oh, well. Other than that it was just flawless (I think). I'd give it a four point six out of five.

And I've seen at least three others.

Loy 05-08-2004 03:05 PM

last couple films....

"Kill Bill 2"-I had more fun playing the "this scene was stolen from this movie" game than actually watching the film itself. Still a good time.

"Rules Of The Game"-My favorite Jean Renoir film, and the extras Criterion put on are amazing.

"Freaks And Geeks"-Everybody should see this series.

"Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter"-So Jesus Christ and Santos the mexican wrestler team up to fight lesbian vampires for the soul of humanity. All this, plus musical numbers, too! It's Canadian, so I hope that explains it.

"Gerry"-Glad to see Gus Van Sant going back to his more experimental days.

"Kate And Leopold"-I am secretly a sucker for romantic comedies. Stop that laughing.

December_Rose 05-10-2004 04:50 PM

Impromptu, I'm a sucker for period pieces.

CultNietzsche 05-10-2004 05:47 PM

The Last Samuri - AMAZING! Tom cruise was great and his Japanese, i must say, is superb

Matrix Revolution - SUCKED. bored to tears. the only good parts was when Sati was on teh screen..shes charming little girl..and when Sati and Oracle were baking cookies
visually pleasing...content wise...appalling

comatoast 05-10-2004 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CultNietzsche
Matrix Revolution - SUCKED. bored to tears. the only good parts was when Sati was on teh screen..shes charming little girl..and when Sati and Oracle were baking cookies
visually pleasing...content wise...appalling

It sucked soooo badly . And I had so much hope that the trilogy would end better than it did. I also got the feeling that they left it open for a fourth movie down the road....oy

last movie I saw in the theatre was Butterfly Effect. I went into it skeptical but I really enjoyed it. I thought it was a nice, dark love story

Loy 05-10-2004 06:37 PM

A few I just watched....

"Heavy Metal Parking Lot"-A 20 minute short film. Basically, in 1986, Jeff Krulick walked around the parking lot of a Judas Priest concert before the show started, interviewing fans. Frickin' hilarious. And John Waters has said that he was disturbed by it!

"Gemini"-Really creepy mindscraper from Shinya ("Tetsuo-The Iron Man") Tsukamoto based on an Edogawa Rampo story. And my pals at Subversive Cinema are bringing it over here (!!!!!!!).

"Baba Yaga"-70's Eurotrash adaptation of a Guido Crepax comic strip. While not as much campy fun as "Barberella" or "Modesty Blaise", the weird mod/comic feel of the film definately carries it fairly well.

Panther 05-10-2004 07:51 PM

VAn Helsing. Saw it with my boyfrined, and made fun of it the whoel time. Which isn't to say we didn't both love it, but that we're just smart asses. It was very very cool. Hugh Jackman is actually very good, unlike most of the actors from X-men (Halle Berry should never have been Storm (some of them (patrick stewart and ian mckellanw ere really well cast though)).

The friar was the best. You've got to love him. :D

mudgrrl 05-11-2004 05:11 AM

endless sunshine on a spotless mind, gothika and kill bill 2. i enjoyed all of them immensely.

MorganScorpion 05-11-2004 12:49 PM

Last movie - "Finding Nemo" - not the kind of thing I'd normally go for, but a trsuted friend reccommended it so I thought I'd give it a go. I totally loved it, and find it hard to believe that it was really a Disney film.

Before that I watched "The Green Mile", which I enjoyed far more than I did the first time I saw it.

ice 05-12-2004 10:02 PM

Saw two more ... well more, but the others were on HBO so I forgot them :roll:

Amelie and Little Big Man.

I really liked Amelie.
I don't know what it is, but it seems I tend to enjoy movies more when I don't know what the hell they're saying. I like reading those little captions. I bet that if Das Boot was in English, I wouldn't have liked it nearly as much as if it were in German (which it was).
Amelie was a very .interesting. movie. Amelie herself, reminds me of ... well me.

Little Big Man.
Wow. I haven't seen this movie in... forever.
I loved it the first time (I was young though, and didn't quite understand it), but to see it again knocked my socks off. The whole movie all in all was done superbly. Not a single bit of dialogue was uneeded. Someone kept talking to me while the movie was going, and grr. I felt like I missed seeing Hale-bop.

Well. Not quite as critical as I thought I would be...
Oh, well.

Andorra 05-12-2004 10:20 PM

The last movie I saw was The Last Samurai at my friend Jon's house. It was very good but...now he's more obsessed with samurai than he was before... :roll:

The_Crazy_Irishman 05-13-2004 07:59 AM

Last three movies I watched were The Last Samurai, Butterfly Effect and Van Helsing.

The Last Samurai- This is a brilliant film, and not just because of my love of japanese culture, and more specificly the samurai. Though it was a lot more impressive at the cinema, it still is an excellant movie to rent out. I'd have given it a 4 out of 5 were it not for one scene. Be warned if you don't want it spoiled for you, the scene I'm talking about is the final charge of the samurai against the gatling guns, it builds up the tension with the music, and then just as the gatling guns open fire, the music stops, meaning you only hear the guns just for a few seconds. I couldn't tell you why I find it beautiful, I just do. 5 out of 5

Butterfly Effect- I went into the cinema quite skeptical, what with it being a movie about time travel, which can be messed up very easily, but I was pleasantly surprised, I enjoyed it and it seems like a movie that I could watch again and again. Though it's about time travel, it pulls it off very well, with only 2 flaws I noticed but I'll let them pass. I feel I should at least watch it again just to formulate a good opnion about it. So atm no rating.

Van Helsing- Just in case you guys start thinking I love every movie I see (or more correctly, be bothered to go see, ie. it looks like a good way to spend my money) I didn't particularlly like this movie. Sure it was an alright action movie, but it lacked a believable plot, and the over-acting of Dracula and his Brides was astounding. I felt it was quite obvious that there was a sequel planned (though not as obvious as Terminator 3). So I'd give this a 3 out of 5, but thats with the CGI and action sequences having not gotten old, yet.

.BatteryPoison. 05-15-2004 07:22 AM

Twisted (2004)

Oddly enough, this was the only film on the line-up at the $1 theater that I had never seen a trailer for. Out of a long list of films I knew would get under my skin, I mistakenly went with this one. Of course, after having sat through the *entire* movie (believe me, if you can do the same then you need to get an EEG to make sure you're not completely brain-dead), it's easy to see why no one has ever heard of this "flick."

Starring recognizable names such as Ashely Judd, Sammual L Jackson, and Andy Garcia, "Twisted" pays tribute to the old adage, "You can't judge a book by it's cover." No one amongst the production staff nor the cast gave two shits about the making of this film. Why? Well for one, the script was pure unoriginal, uninspired, and unprogressive, third-rate thriller hogwash written by someone with the mental competency of a twenty three year old grade school drop out who has a knack for writing incoherent screenplays.

Not only does this entire film come out with guns blazing on every single cliche and stereotype you can possibly squeeze and cram into a crime-thriller (of which, most of these elements are introduced entirely assed-backwards or in a sense that is completely illogical), but it's dialogue is written so badly that it comes off as a parody. Unfortunately the heavy handed tone of sincerity and seriousness prevents you from actually coming forward and just laughing at the entire scheme.

Instead, "Twisted" merely bores you to tears with it's fragmented storyline and horrible acting. Of course "horrible" doesn't even do an adjective justice in describing the acting here. At one point, Judd enters into the home of Garcia, accusing him of one thing or another, and he goes from defensively calm and confused to furious rage in a single sentence (verbal and emotional transitions are apparently over-rated here). As ridiculous as that is, it can't even begin to compare with Judd's ultimate "break-down" scene where she plays "Go Fish" with a pile of photos and sheds phoney tears while assuming the position of table-top nap taking in front of investigators.

There's little, if anything, to like about this film at all. Judd plays the strong, knowitall heroin who happens to be a chain-smoking alcoholic with a major attitude problem and a need to fornicate with many, many strange men. From the get-go, her cocky attitude and narcissistic self-interests get under your skin and completely alienate you from ever relating. The only character I found even remotely interesting was the "ball-breaking" detective at the station who devoted his entire role in the movie to shooting down Judd. And while he failed to do so with any sense of wit or actual humor, at least he introduced the element of "logic" to the movie (only to be told later that "she *was* really guessing right and he just underestimated her").

Even the mystique of the movie is completely see-through. Judd's character is a detective who drinks herself stupid until she ultimately passes out in her apartment every night. When she wakes up the next morning, someone she knows (scratch that... "she's slept with") turns up dead with a cigarette burn placed on the back of the hand as a signature (naturally, every character in "Twisted" is a chain-smoker, which helps to narrow it down). For the majority of the time, the movie tries to imply that she's responsible for the murders, which makes perfect sense if you look at it. Judd drinks until she passes out in her apartment. She then gets up (unknowingly) and methodically kills some random person she slept with using stealth and prowess (while completely intoxicated to the point of 'blacking-out'), then makes the trip back to her apartment and collapses in the very same place she originally passed out. Yeah, I'll buy that.

Now... when I normally tell people I recommend they not see a particular movie, I don't place an adverb like "strongly" in front of "recommend." But here, it's more than warranted. Horrible acting, predictable/cliche characters, atrocious dialogue, and just about everything else about this movie is just... really, really bad. Wasting money on a shitty movie is one thing, but you'll feel robbed of your time if you succumb to this pathetic sham of a film for free.

ice 05-15-2004 09:51 AM

Bwahahahaha!
Wow,
that was the most scathing review I've ever seen you write...
I think I'll take your advice :P
Iseen another movie, recently. In fact yesterday.
Taxi Driver.
Classic movie, acting incredible, and you gotta love De Niro.
"You talking ta me? You talkin ta me? I don' see anyone else, you talking ta me?"
I unfortunately missed the first ten minutes of it, so I'm sure I missed something important.
The movie would have been unrecognisable if it had been made today, in fact, it would have been horrible.
Hmph. My review skillZ pale in comparison to BPs, eh? :P

black_fairy 05-15-2004 10:32 AM

This night I'm gonna see Troya, tomorrow I will write my opinion....

Emptysoul 05-18-2004 07:40 PM

The last movie i watched what Helter Skelter - The charlie manson movie.. it was the remake on tv.. but that movie dosent really count.. so ill say the one i watched befor that one.. The Doors..We had the movie a long time ago but never watched it but when i finially did it was suprisingly really really good..