Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

Fruitbat 08-14-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serian (Post 633748)
Was reading Hannibal, and loving it, but I left it in my locker. Dx i'm now digging through my collection to find something worth reading. I began and finished the Host within 6 hours, though. It sounds like an accomplishment. ^-^

I really tried to read The Host, but got really bored, really quickly. I read the twi books (all four of them) in four days though, which was pretty good considering I had a 4week old baby at the time.

I was a zombie bat!!

Serian 08-14-2010 09:27 PM

lolz I'd expect so. Twilight's an amazingly quick read. It was just something to pore through. I needed my mind occupied and I needed something thick. Unfortunately, I just wasn't in the mood for Eldest or Brisingr.

Fruitbat 08-14-2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serian (Post 633803)
lolz I'd expect so. Twilight's an amazingly quick read. It was just something to pore through. I needed my mind occupied and I needed something thick. Unfortunately, I just wasn't in the mood for Eldest or Brisingr.

*nods in agreement*

For me, at the moment, its all about keeping the mind occupied, rather than the quality of the writing - but that's just the phase I'm going through at the moment.

it will change, maybe, when I get more sleep and less procrastination. ;)

Speak has just arrived, so maybe I'll get time to read that this week.

Serian 08-14-2010 10:07 PM

Boo sleep. Yay procrastination! We shall celebrate! (later...)

I think someone, probably you, mentioned that earlier, but i've got no clue what it is.

And if you're looking for quantity rather than quality, then you've got alot to choose from in the YA sections. lol

Fruitbat 08-14-2010 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serian (Post 633811)
Boo sleep. Yay procrastination! We shall celebrate! (later...)

I think someone, probably you, mentioned that earlier, but i've got no clue what it is.

And if you're looking for quantity rather than quality, then you've got alot to choose from in the YA sections. lol

I love sleep - that's my problem. I was a 12hr a night girl before I had a baby, now I'm lucky to get four-five hours of broken sleep a night.

Speak - was a book recommended by Saya.

Yeah, loads of crap in the YA field - but that's the field I'm writing in, so I'm stuck there for a bit longer.

More procrastination... holy mackeral!

Serian 08-14-2010 10:24 PM

xD I'm close. 10 seems to be my limit.

lolz Yes, that's right. :3

What're you writing?

Amazing, isn't it? : P

Saya 08-15-2010 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruitbat (Post 631970)
Let me know what the book I am legend is like. I'm still reading whatever it was I wrote a million pages ago. Almost finished Spells.

Its great! Its only really short though, I was kinda disappointed, I didn't want it to end so soon, it was 169 pages and the rest of the book is short stories, so I'm still reading those.

You're reading Speak? Awesome! I saw it in Chapters the other day, they had a back to school YA display at the entrance. I'm going to pick it up one of these days.

FreeCharlie 08-15-2010 08:44 AM

heavier than heaven...gotta say i highly reccomend it if your a big Kurt/Nirvana fan veryyyy indepth

Fruitbat 08-15-2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saya (Post 633840)
Its great! Its only really short though, I was kinda disappointed, I didn't want it to end so soon, it was 169 pages and the rest of the book is short stories, so I'm still reading those.

You're reading Speak? Awesome! I saw it in Chapters the other day, they had a back to school YA display at the entrance. I'm going to pick it up one of these days.

Cool. I'm going to put it on my big person's reading list.

I've got speak. I'm hoping to get stuck into it this week. I cheated and watched the movie (with Kristen Stew) in it. As baby bat gets more active, its getting harder to sit and read a book.

Baby bat has just spilled is breakfast drink - gotta fly.

Saya 08-15-2010 02:31 PM

How was the movie? I haven't gotten the courage to watch it yet.

Fruitbat 08-15-2010 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saya (Post 633986)
How was the movie? I haven't gotten the courage to watch it yet.

It was really good. I thought Kristen Stew did a good job, but then I liked her in Cake Eaters as well.

I've read the first page, and am enjoying the speed of the book already.

Saya 08-15-2010 11:26 PM

All the short stories left in the I Am Legend book remind me too much of Stephen King (he has a blurb on the back saying Matheson was a huge inspiration, and you can really, really tell), so I'm moving on to Moral Disorder by Margaret Atwood.

JCC 08-16-2010 01:12 AM

Naked Lunch.

Serian 08-16-2010 02:05 PM

City of Glass - Cassandra Clare, then finishing Hannibal. :3

OnyxBat 08-16-2010 02:36 PM

The Solitude to self:thinking of Elizabeth Cady Stanton by Vivian GoRnick

the-nihilist 08-21-2010 07:31 PM

Algernon Blackwood short stories.

Saya 08-21-2010 07:38 PM

Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood.

lady_cthulhu 08-23-2010 10:47 AM

Nothing at the moment - got any good suggestions I might be able to dig up at a local library?

cradle 08-29-2010 07:03 AM

The Biotechnology of Cannabis Sativa - Dr. Sam R. Zwenger

viscus 08-29-2010 07:34 AM

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.

HumanePain 08-29-2010 10:21 AM

I keep alternating between Thus Spoke Zarathustra and The Genealogy of Morals. I think I am getting too much Nietzsche in my diet.

Alan 08-29-2010 11:02 AM

If I Die in Juarez by Stella Pope Duarte.
It doesn't matter if you guys don't live here; I heavily recommend it.

Saya 08-30-2010 01:26 PM

It does look like something I ought to read, not in any of the bookstores around here though, I'll see if the library has it when I go back to school next week.

Reading Half The Sky by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn.

ssj_goku 08-30-2010 01:37 PM

sstil reading PARADISE LOST.

it's hard but cool.

LegendGirl 09-23-2010 10:50 AM

I'm also currently re-reading PARADISE LOST, concurrently with VARNEY THE VAMPYRE, or THE FEAST OF BLOOD. It's the entire serial collected into one book, and it's huge. It'll take me a while to finish.