Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

dollclans 10-18-2004 04:53 PM

i'm reading "Personal Darkness" by Tanith Lee. it's an awesome Scarabae novel, if that's the kinda thing your into.

Loy 10-18-2004 08:31 PM

So a few used bookstores are having sales as we speak, and I've been going crazy for the past week or so, and I've gotten....

"A Moment Of True Feeling"/"Left Handed Woman" by Peter Handke

"The Tomb" and other Tales by H.P. Lovecraft (I'm re-reading his stuff to see if I can get soemthing for use in adapting Michael Gira's "The Consumer" for screen. Normally, I loathe Lovecraft, but well see how I feel afterwards)

"In Dubious Battle" by John Steinbeck (which is my call for Steinbeck's best work...and yes, I have read "Of Mice And Men", "The Grapes Of Wrath", and "Tortilla Flat")

"The Zap Gun" by Philip Dick (working through his stuff, which there never seems to be enough of)

"Delicate Prey" by Paul Bowles (collection of short stories by Mr Bowles)

"My Sister's Hand In Mine" by Jane Bowles (every god-damned thing the woman ever wrote)

"Selected Essays And Notebooks" and "The Fall" by Albert Camus ("The Fall" is my favorite Camus novel, and I also love Camus' essays)

"The Call Of The Toad" by Gunther Grass (I'm a fan of Grass's vicious satire, and this is one of the few of his works I've yet to read all the way through)

"Anectodes Of Destiny And Ehrengard" by Isak Dinesen (I always swore I'd read more Dinesen...hopefully the translotor of this one is better than the translator of the last Dinesen book I read)

"The Sybil" by Par Lagerkvist (I'm rereading it to see if I can love more than how the story made me feel...and to see if this translator's better than the last one)

a whole bunch of Alberto Moravia (who I seem to like less and less the older I get....I re-purchased "Ghost At Noon" and "The Conformist" and got around to getting "Woman Of Rome", "The Fetish", and "Bitter Honeymoon") and a whole bunch of William Faulkner (whome I starting to love more and more the older I get...I got "Absalom, Absalom", "Pylon", "The Sound And The Fury", "Spotted Horse"/"Old Man"/"The Bear", and "Sanctuary")

KidFedaykin 10-20-2004 11:08 AM

What I'm reading

Song of Sussannah - king, the rebel - camus, sartre, Diary - Palahniuk, everything kerouac, Kahlil Gibran, and Nietzsche. There are more but I for get. Got alot of time on my hands at the moment

Deadhymn 10-20-2004 11:12 AM

motley crue's bio, "The Dirt"

if you havent read it, you dont know what debauchery is all about.

Celestia11 10-20-2004 11:28 AM

I'm reading Stephen King's 'Hearts In Atlantis' for about the fourth time, it's my favourite book ever. The film is crap though, as per usual... :roll:

alliecat 10-20-2004 11:45 AM

Well, right now I'm rereading my favorites. Artemis Fowl, The Saga of Darren Shan, The Blue Sword, Harry Potter, Sabriel and its sequels, and His Dark Materials. Damn, that's a lot!! :shock:

HxC-Ron 10-20-2004 04:38 PM

The Phantom of the Opera

I just finished reading The Phantom of the Opera for a college class and I was reallysurprised how much I liked it. It had the element of Victorian Gothic Horror in it. Has anyone else on the boards gotten the chance to read this book?

Gypsy2222 10-20-2004 05:01 PM

There are several Phantom of the Opera books out there... One of my favorites was 'Phantom' by Susan Kay... If that is the one you are refering to then yes, I read it and loved it... Some other interesting books that you might enjoy are the Saint Germain series by Yarbaro... A very good series...

On a final parting note... This thread belongs in the "What are you Reading?" thread... Thank you...

~The Gypsy~

HxC-Ron 10-21-2004 03:57 AM

no I read the original 1911 novel by Gaston Leroux

Jane13 10-21-2004 07:39 PM

alliecat- I'm reading Artimis Foul right now.
HxC- I REALLY want to read the book... I cannot put into words how much I loved the broadway musical. I could watch that a thousand times and still want to see it again. I couldn't get the main theme out of my head, so I figured out how to play it on my guitar.I'm reading Artimus Foul and War of THe Worlds now...

alliecat 10-21-2004 08:02 PM

I read The War of The Worlds on vacation. It was good, though a bit weird. My book fell apart :cry: but duct tape saved the day! :D Artemis Fowl is cool, but I wish the books were longer.

Jane13 10-22-2004 06:42 AM

Duct tape saves everything. I can't beleive how many times I misspelled "Artemis Fowl" last night..

Deadhymn 10-22-2004 11:34 AM

If you cant Duct it...Fuck it!

currently reading the lyrics to Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds' Abattoir Blues and Lyre of Orpheus his best albums...just came out together on double disc...just beautiful.

Nike 10-23-2004 09:29 AM

Ernesto Che Guevara's Motorcycle Diaries....interesting

Jane13 10-23-2004 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nike
Ernesto Che Guevara's Motorcycle Diaries....interesting

Check out the thread "Pimp My Revolutionary" :wink:

Nike 10-23-2004 09:43 AM

Actually I've read that thread some days ago...
and it made me remember that it's been a long while sice I've read the Bolivian Diaries. I don't wear Guevara T-Shirts, lol, since that T-Shirts photograph has it's own quite ridiculous story anyway, he's surely not my hero...but I remember that sometimes he used to be quite philosophical in his books, and some phrases were interesting....so, well, some more Che ;)

HerGhostInTheFog 10-24-2004 07:31 PM

i mad not sure if i already posted this, but
i am reading a book called Smack
it's about squatter punks who beoome heroin addicts
sounds bad, but it was written very well

secretboy 10-24-2004 11:16 PM

Reading more fantasy, Lord of Snow and Shadows by Sarah Ash. I'm all into it. Fun stuff, lots of politics and dark curses and such. And evil swedes! ;) Mua-ha-haaaah.

Can't wait for the sequel to come out.

edible_eye 10-29-2004 07:14 AM

feel free to toss the "fag" moniker my way.

i'm reading 'the wedding' by nicholas sparks. a friend made me promise to read it and i'm making good on that promise. guess what? it's good.

HA!

Panther 10-29-2004 07:22 AM

The Arabain Nights translated by Richard Burton, and Faust, translated by some other guy.

Jane13 10-29-2004 03:14 PM

Weee! Great books, and a great new avatar, Panther!

secretboy 11-04-2004 07:44 AM

Just finished Flow my tears, the Policeman Said by Philip K. Dick. I forgot how much I loved that novel. Finished it far too quickly, though.

I really wish more of his novels had as much heart as this one did. Kind of sad.

WolfMoon 11-04-2004 12:08 PM

Quote:

feel free to toss the "fag" moniker my way.

i'm reading 'the wedding' by nicholas sparks. a friend made me promise to read it and i'm making good on that promise. guess what? it's good.

HA!
Hey Mark!

You fag!

:lol:

I'm curently reading the Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman.

Sometimes two heads are better than one.

Next I might read the Pern series,my husband owns alomost a library,lol.

Jane13 11-04-2004 04:01 PM

Cujo and Grapes of Wrath

Dr.StrangeRawk 11-05-2004 11:46 AM

Le Morte D'Arthur By Mallory
( for the 6th time.. ) ( Lunch time Book)

and Titus Andronicus - Shakespeare ( bathroom book)

and Into the Storm - Tom Clancy ( Analyzing Leadership Profile for work )

and Tobit - The Bible - ( a story of an Angel and a Deamon )

Dr.StrangeRawk

pitseleh 11-05-2004 12:46 PM

Currently I´m reading Count Zero, by William Gibson, which I started on directly after finishing Ghost Girl, by Helena McEwen. Both good reads. Before that I read A Home At The End Of The World by Michael Cunningham and Cannery Row, by John Steinbeck. Also I stumbled upon a marvellous fantasy trilogy called A Song Of Ice And Fire, by George R. R. Martin, which was devoured pretty fast alongside a couple of Kurt Vonnegut books, namely A Breakfast Of Champions and Hocus Pocus. Funny stuff. So you can tell I´ve had too much time on my hands lately...

secretboy 11-06-2004 04:07 AM

pitseleh!!!!

(sigh) :)

Good to see you back. Book 4 of the Song of Ice and Fire series is due out...sometime...maybe....

pitseleh 11-07-2004 06:20 AM

Thanks man, it's goo-od to be back! Can't wait until the next installment in the Song of Ice And Fire series. A Feast of Crows, it's apparently called.

mlwlildevil 11-07-2004 08:23 AM

midnight predator- Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
Willow-V.C. Andrews

skoteinh 11-09-2004 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secretboy
Just finished Flow my tears, the Policeman Said by Philip K. Dick. I forgot how much I loved that novel. Finished it far too quickly, though.

I really wish more of his novels had as much heart as this one did. Kind of sad.

I just looove this book! Note: must read again.

Currently reading Francis Bacon: The logic of sensation, by Gilles Deleuze. In English. I have to say it is a must for Bacon fans.

funeral_of_hearts 11-09-2004 12:20 PM

I'm reading a book on the history of pirates.

FenrisQueen 11-15-2004 03:22 PM

hmmm....::thinks really hard::
right now I'm reading about the Persecution of Witches in the middle ages, blood and gold, and my all time favorite book, in the forests of the night, by AA rhodes

HerGhostInTheFog 11-18-2004 11:30 PM

right now, i am reading "living at the edge of the worl.... a teenagers survival in the tunnels of the grand central station" it's about a homeless girl... a true tale, too

i just got done reading "loner" about a homeless girl, also, but she's a hippie

"stoner and spaz"

and i cant remember the books before that. i read at least 1 book per week.

FenrisQueen 11-23-2004 05:14 PM

Cyrano de Bergorac! All hail the nose! Non Merci! Non Merci! Non Merci!

Jane13 11-23-2004 05:20 PM

The Last Mohican

Crane 11-23-2004 05:35 PM

"The Teeth of the Tiger," by Tom Clancy. :P

ice 11-23-2004 08:31 PM

The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy

:P

Aves_Coal 11-23-2004 09:06 PM

i'm reading jonathan strange and mr. norrell right now. good stuff

secretboy 11-23-2004 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aves_Coal
i'm reading jonathan strange and mr. norrell right now. good stuff

I keep seeing that in stores, how is it? what's it like?

KidFedaykin 11-27-2004 12:51 PM

What am I reading at the moment

I just finished The Dark Tower: The Dark Tower. I am sad now that it is over but it was amazing. Now I am reading An Introduction to the bhudda and his teachings. Jack Kerouacs good blonde and other stories.

Kid

TeapotScar 11-27-2004 02:54 PM

"The Cryptographer" by Tobias Hill

It's for school.

edible_eye 11-29-2004 07:30 AM

On Writing, by Stephen King.

second time around...

secretboy 11-29-2004 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edible_eye
On Writing, by Stephen King.

second time around...

Awesome book. I leant my copy to the guy that runs this site, never saw it again. :(

Have you read A Writer's Tale by Richard Laymon?

edible_eye 11-29-2004 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secretboy
Have you read A Writer's Tale by Richard Laymon?

no, but i take it that's a recommendation. and i accept.

is richard laymon the guy who writes vampire novels, almost exclusively?

HerGhostInTheFog 12-02-2004 09:08 PM

a book caled "gay rights"
it's a good book
factual and not biased either way

skoteinh 12-03-2004 01:53 AM

The Servant of the Bones, Anne Rice

pitseleh 12-03-2004 02:24 AM

I'm reading Post Office, by Charles Bukowski. Unwholesome fun.

drinnen 12-12-2004 09:27 PM

One of books I am re-reading is "The Decline And Fall Of The Roman Empire" vol 1, by Edward Gibbon. I have and have read, all 6 volumes. If you are a coder or a math geek than you would recognize the other books I am reading, which I will not designate. Math is God. Physics is God. I worship at your temple.

gingerbreadwench 12-13-2004 12:22 AM

I'm reading Trainspotting to impress someone I have a crush on. Yeah. It's an okay book, although I do have to read it out loud at some points.

Devil_Duckie 12-17-2004 12:02 AM

skoteinh, excellent choice in reading material. I loved that book. But then again I really like Anne Rice books. Funny thing tho, I've never read any of her witch books. The Mayfair ones? Maybe I should one day. I think I've read all of her vampire books. Of those I'd have to say Memnoch the Devil was my favorite.

As for what I'm reading now, Forbidden Knowledge by Roger Shattuck. It's a really interesting book. He discusses whether or not there should be limits on what we know. He makes many references to literature throughout history to elaborate on his point.