Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

Pineapple_Juice 01-12-2011 05:07 PM

Reading Johannes Cabal the Necromancer by Jonathan L. Howard.

Pineapple_Juice 01-14-2011 07:41 AM

Reading Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury

Saya 01-14-2011 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonPythonidae (Post 647919)
What is the fuss about? I wanna know too... Let us know when you've satisfied your curiosity.

It wasn't bad, I was interested enough to finish it in a short amount of time, and I gave it 3/5 stars on shelfari. However I do have a lot to complain about.

I like mysteries where you can follow the logic and evidence and come to your own conclusion. TGWTDT was a lot like a murder mystery game, if you ever played one. Lots of fun but everyone looks equally guilty by the time you make your guess, and its a lot of circumstancial evidence. Only the killer had no evidence beforehand, they just found ONE PIECE and it was like "What." and it got really surreal from there.

And *SPOILER!* I thought the relationship between Lisbeth and Mikael to be kinda creepy and stupid. He's in his 40s, she looks like she's 14. Larsson was a feminist and everyone kinda takes this book as a feminist mystery novel, and I'm not going to lie, thats what perked my interest, but I hate how most men are assholes with no redeeming qualities in this book, and Mikael, the lone feminist man, is a babe magnet because he's just so good and respectful to women. And there must be a romance between him and his much much younger partner, it would've been better if they just became good friends. And his on-again off-again girlfriend Berger is just there to be a drama device, there's not much to her purpose or personality at all save for sleeping with Mikael.

That said, it wasn't badly written or anything and I think a lot of the criticism about *SPOILER* a rrape scene being anti-feminist and "eroticizing rrape" was uncalled for, the dude clearly cared about women's issues and as a person who has a really really hard time reading rrape scenes, it wasn't overly prolonged and detailed, I thought, I've read some really graphic and I think eroticizing scenes before and it wasn't like that at all. He wanted it to be horrible but I don't think he had a good time writing about it.

Oh, I also read Down And Out In The Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow this week, it was good! Not sure what to read next.

vindicatedxjin 01-14-2011 02:38 PM

Will to power-Friedrich Nietzsche

UGHHHH

nikole95 01-15-2011 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bodnoirbabe (Post 10284)
If you enjoyed that book, i highly suggest reading Good Omens if you haven't already. It was co-written with Neil Gaimen (my favorite author) and is the most hilarious book i have ever read. It's about the apocolypse. A demon and an Angel decide they like the human race, so they try to prevent the apocolypse from taking place.

oh, did i mention i have really great breasts and would like to fuck everyone?

since i've already been accused of being a pussy hound - allow me to say that statement would be perfect if we were just sitting around right now, drinking a few beers and passing the time with nothing more than small talk.

Saya 01-22-2011 04:16 PM

Finished War Of The Worlds, reading The Wind Up Bird Chronicles by Haruki Murakami now.

Catch 01-23-2011 09:32 AM

I am onto reading Book II of Three Books of the Occult by Aggripa. I've been reading it here and there and decided to just get through all of them. Taking forever.

Murder.Of.Crows 01-23-2011 09:42 AM

The full Necromonicon, tried reading select stories, now i have decided to read cover to cover.

Fruitbat 01-23-2011 07:05 PM

On Writing by stephen King.
How to raise boys by (can't remember)
Hunger (by who knows??)

Anesthesia 01-24-2011 06:00 AM

I'm almost finished with "The End of the Affair" by Graham Greene. I like it, even though I wasn't expecting to.

HumanePain 01-24-2011 06:39 AM

Walden or Life in the Woods - Henry David Thoreau

LexLuthor 01-24-2011 07:43 AM

Rereading Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

CrimsonPythonidae 01-27-2011 10:40 PM

Sounds alright, a couple of people at work said it was a good read. I'm interested enough to give it a go when I'm done with Infidel but this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saya (Post 648831)
And *SPOILER!* I thought the relationship between Lisbeth and Mikael to be kinda creepy and stupid. He's in his 40s, she looks like she's 14. Larsson was a feminist and everyone kinda takes this book as a feminist mystery novel, and I'm not going to lie, thats what perked my interest, but I hate how most men are assholes with no redeeming qualities in this book, and Mikael, the lone feminist man, is a babe magnet because he's just so good and respectful to women. And there must be a romance between him and his much much younger partner, it would've been better if they just became good friends. And his on-again off-again girlfriend Berger is just there to be a drama device, there's not much to her purpose or personality at all save for sleeping with Mikael.

might irritate me a bit too. Thanks for your perspective :)

vindicatedxjin 01-29-2011 12:53 PM

The communist manifesto and Utopia.

TalkingBackwards 01-31-2011 12:58 PM

Berlin Diary by William Shirer.
Re-reading Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin.

Fruitbat 02-06-2011 02:46 AM

On writing - SK.

vashsunglasses 02-07-2011 08:59 AM

I am reading: "The Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson. It's about two men during the 1893 Chicago World's Fair: Daniel H. Burnham, the guy in charge of the World's Fair who used his abilities to create something grand; and Dr. H. H. Holmes, a guy who used his abilities (and murder hotel) to become America's first serial killer.

Geoluhread 02-07-2011 01:14 PM

Everything Matters, by some Currie jr. guy...
pretty good so far!

Wulfgang 02-07-2011 05:23 PM

Tour Smart by Martin Atkins.

Mariner 02-24-2011 07:47 PM

Just finished "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and will be reading "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe" as soon as it comes in the mail.

CuckooTuli 03-08-2011 07:26 AM

Tough guys Don't Dance - Norman Mailer.

Alan 03-08-2011 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vindicatedxjin (Post 651122)
The communist manifesto and Utopia.

Nice. Next, you should try reading Empire, by Negri and Hardt. It's called this century's communist manifesto.

vindicatedxjin 03-08-2011 09:24 AM

I'll def. get around to that. During ISO meetings, we've been going over Paul D'Amato's "The Meaning of Marxism".

I'm also reading "Eating Animals" by Jonathan Safran Foer. His explanation of eating meat vs being vegetarian is beautiful. Love love love his writing.

Saya 03-08-2011 10:03 AM

I've been meaning to pick that up, I heard it's amazing. Is it depressing?

vindicatedxjin 03-08-2011 11:07 AM

It IS amazing.

Some parts are sad to the point of me tearing up, but its not really depressing. I've laughed a lot too. Go read it.