Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Spooky News (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Weigh Down (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=6833)

Crying_Crimson_Tears 08-05-2007 07:17 AM

Weigh Down

http://buzz.**********/buzzlog/74157...ld-jesus-weigh

What Would Jesus Weigh?

You've heard of faith-based initiatives. Now, perk up your ears and put down your fork. Faith-based weight loss is drawing converts in Buzz.

The Weigh Down Workshop looks to the lessons of the Bible to reduce waistlines and trim thighs. The program, which was designed by nutritionist Gwen Shamblin, has been around for years, but it recently found a praise-worthy (and media-friendly) parable in Maggie and Andy Sorrells. The Tennessee couple once jointly tipped the scale at nearly 1,000 pounds. They've lost more than half that heavy load by following the Weigh Down way.

Since news agencies picked up the Sorrells' success story, buzz for the Good Book-inspired diet, program, and workshop has surged. The Weigh Down regime doesn't yet have the mainstream caché of Weight Watchers or Atkins, but it draws the same demographic interest: Middle-aged women account for the majority of searches and the South logs the most fervent interest.

In this case, the Sorrells' home state of Tennessee tops the list of areas searching for fat-shedding salvation. Alabama, Arkansas, and Mississippi follow closely behind. In a land of milk and honey-fried temptation, it takes a lot of faith to resist seconds.

Don't Look Behind You 08-05-2007 06:47 PM

*rubs eyes*

WHAT?

Crying_Crimson_Tears 08-06-2007 08:47 AM

I read about this in a magazine a few months ago.

I think it's ridiculous. The woman who founded it is using one of the 7 deadly sins (gluttony in this case) as a means to diet. She basically says you're sinning against God if you're fat.

Senor_Sadomachism 08-06-2007 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crying_Crimson_Tears
I read about this in a magazine a few months ago.

I think it's ridiculous. The woman who founded it is using one of the 7 deadly sins (gluttony in this case) as a means to diet. She basically says you're sinning against God if you're fat.

That thought crossed my mind when I found out the 7 deadly sins. When I read Gluttony I asked myself. So me being chubby is sinful? And it's a deadly sin! :P Homosexuality isn't one of them. Go me!

delicti 08-06-2007 11:27 AM

Well, you can certainly lose weight by fasting; but what are you going to do with all those loaves and fishes?

Porphyria 08-07-2007 10:35 AM

I don't think it's ridiculous. People are dieting, excercising, losing weight and living healthier lives this way. If it takes God to keep them inspired to do it, then go, God. After all, people have been relying on God to help them quit drinking for decades, why not do the same for over-eating?

StasisInDarkness 10-22-2007 02:04 AM

Yet fasting is not a healthy way to lose weight. Coming from a former anorexic, fasting is INCREDIBLY deleterious to one's health, and compared to a moderate program of diet and exercise, it may result in more net weight loss, but at a very high cost.

For example, I'm 18 years old, and I have osteopoenia. Fasting, for God or no, is unhealthy.

drewsilla 10-22-2007 02:50 AM

I must have been on this diet for years, because sometimes after over-eating I'll stand up and yell, "Oh, GOD, I ate too much!!!"

CptSternn 10-26-2007 02:42 AM

You have to love the protestants who base their ideas on things like the seven deadly sins, which are a product of the Catholic Church and came from the writings of early bishops in the Catholic Church.

Always seems like a marketing ploy when you see that, since the protestants aren't taught this sort of thing.

thedoll 10-30-2007 12:07 AM

Psshhh, those crazy religious folk just need another gimmick. Become baptized, lose ten pounds! Get forgiven, get in shape!

Nevan 10-30-2007 01:34 AM

Hah! Jesus-marketing.

Some people will do anything to make a buck.