Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Scariest book you've ever read... (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=14596)

Pineapple_Juice 02-16-2009 01:20 AM

Scariest book you've ever read...

I did a search for a thread like this. Hopefully I haven't missed it.
What is the scariest most piss-your-pants book you've ever read? "High Crimes and Misdemeanors" doesn't count, but if that's what you were gonna say I see where you're coming from.

nis~sijai 02-16-2009 02:25 AM

The Girl Next Door - Jack Ketchum

It is absolutely horrifying, partly because it's based on a true story.

$haDe 02-16-2009 02:40 AM

High School Musical (The novel)

Pineapple_Juice 02-16-2009 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by $haDe
High School Musical (The novel)

Hahahaha hahahahah ahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha aha ahahahahahahah hhhahahahahah ahahahahahahahah. No.

tekajo 02-16-2009 10:06 PM

Anything by Nicholaus Pacione. i dare you to get through a paragraph without your head splitting and eyes bleeding.

Scary. ;)

Albert Mond 02-17-2009 04:20 AM

This compilation of Lovecraft stories.

Despanan 02-17-2009 01:15 PM

Honestly? Coraline.

I don't read horror very often (if at all) But that book was fucking freaky.

Opteron_Man 02-17-2009 08:11 PM

Capain Quad. by Sean Costello

I allmost couldn't finish it.

strange_pleasure 02-19-2009 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nis~sijai
The Girl Next Door - Jack Ketchum

It is absolutely horrifying, partly because it's based on a true story.

Yes, i actually threw it across the room at one point because I didn't think i could read it anymore.

Albert Mond 02-20-2009 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nis~sijai
Jack Ketchum

Quote:

Originally Posted by strange_pleasure
Yes, i actually threw it across the room at one point

PIKACHU! I CHOOSE YOOOOOOU!

Pyre 03-08-2009 10:35 PM

Honestly, I thought "Fear Nothing" by Dean Koontz was pretty scary.

DRM 03-18-2009 11:09 PM

"Bag of Bones"- Stephen King
I have no idea why I was so freaked out by it, but alas I was.

Andom 03-19-2009 01:48 AM

Hm...

Possibly the book "The Sitter" by R.L. Stine. It was pretty damned creepy, if I do say so myself.

iroti 03-19-2009 07:52 AM

I've read a lot of horror fiction, but nothing has succeeded to scare me. Maybe I should take some of the books off here.

Honestly, the only thing that ever genuinely creeped me out, and still does is the artwork in those "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark". The art is by Alvin something, but it always irked me. :x

Saya 03-21-2009 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Despanan (Post 514205)
Honestly? Coraline.

I don't read horror very often (if at all) But that book was fucking freaky.

Really? It was freaky, especially for a children's novel but it wasn't heart pounding.

I think I'll have to go with World War Z.

HumanePain 03-21-2009 08:24 PM

The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. The most frightening thing was that it was real, and scary to know that a society can suffer from mass paranoia and at the same time apathy to what is happening so that the society tosses about individuals as if they were disposable, just to meet quotas. :shudders:

Starmoonshine 03-21-2009 08:33 PM

I have read horror fiction but nothing ever too scary. After all I still have a somewhat innocent mind and then I will never sleep. I already don't but still. If anything was scary for me it was the book that iroti mentioned. It was more the art that creeped me out than the stories.

Minyaliel 03-22-2009 08:53 AM

Apart from some books that go rather in the "mindfuck" cathegory (and whose titles I honestly canīt remember), I was dead scared by Pennywise in Stephen Kingīs "It". I still feel rather sceptic when approached by clowns with balloons.

Anima_Severem 04-26-2009 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strange_pleasure (Post 515057)
Yes, i actually threw it across the room at one point because I didn't think i could read it anymore.

Did it make a loud bang when it hit the wall?

Some people might find me absolutely looney, but the one book that makes me crap my pants just thinking about it too much to even read it is Orwell's 1984. I don't think anything could terrify me more than being subjected to such a dictatorship.

Pineapple_Juice 04-26-2009 03:18 PM

Read World War Z. Thought it was brilliant.

PastMidnight 04-29-2009 09:58 AM

"The Historian" was scary, especially when they got to meet Dracula.

StarredLeaf 04-29-2009 01:04 PM

I don't read books from the horror genre but the scariest book I've read when I was a kid; Mrs. Spider's Wedding. Only because that moon shaped head spider was creepy as fuck. Seriously, he was scary I'll never forget his face.

Abarat by Clive Barker is pretty creepy especially the beginning bit when Candy was being chased by some creature. The illustrations are the scariest though.

IBreatheJoeyJordison 05-02-2009 09:23 PM

I didn't know there was such thing as a scary book. o.0

Despanan 05-03-2009 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saya (Post 521205)
Really? It was freaky, especially for a children's novel but it wasn't heart pounding.

I think I'll have to go with World War Z.

I didn't find world war Z frightening. Awesome yes. Not scary in the least though.

Pineapple_Juice 05-03-2009 11:04 PM

I didn't think I was scared either. I read it and thought it was interesting and sweet but I didn't feel scared. Then I heard this weird shuffly noise behind my door and the cat was staring at something through the cat flap and I realized I actually thought a zombie was behind my bedroom door.

I have never read a book that scared me just reading it. I'm beginning to believe they don't exist.