Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

ice 09-24-2004 06:04 PM

I've read a ton of books since last time I posted in here.
But the one I just finished, Stiff was hilarious, and kinda mind-set-changing.

It was pretty good, but if I were a mortician I wouldn't like it too much :P

bloodembrace 09-24-2004 06:08 PM

i just finished Counte of Monte Cristo and am now starting JTHM directors cut....i know, total intelligence downgrade

Grimalkin 09-29-2004 04:20 PM

NECROSCOPE

I'm almost through with Necroscope by Brian Lumley. It's the first of the series, and the best, I think, although I've only tried one other (maybe it was Deadspeak?) which I gave up on. This one held my attention, so I may try the next one I find.

skoteinh 10-01-2004 02:31 AM

Just finished with O'Sullivan's autobiography (btw Edible_Eye: fantastic acronym for SNOOKER!)

Started reading "The Moonstone" by Wilkie Collins

edible_eye 10-01-2004 11:11 AM

thanx, china doll. glad you approved.

i just started reading 'massage for dummies'.

i'm gonna need a few practice victims.

TeapotScar 10-02-2004 12:48 AM

I just started a book on the Venona Project. Extremely interesting stuff, Communism, espionage... I'm obsessed with anything to do with Russia..

Grimalkin 10-02-2004 02:15 PM

What I'm reading

Last night, I started Diary of a Drug Fiend by Aleister (sp) Crowley. It's pretty interesting fiction based on fact and striking how people got just as fucked up on cocaine in the 1920's , when it was legal, as they do now, when they can afford it.

Jane13 10-02-2004 02:30 PM

I've heard that Heroin is legal in te UK... could someone over there tell me if that's true? Not that I want any... :P

WolfMoon 10-02-2004 02:42 PM

What I'm currently reading is an old favorite.

Exiles Volume 1:The Ruins of Ambrai

The hubby and I are such huge Melanie Rawn fans we have all her books...... :roll:

Sadderstar 10-03-2004 10:15 AM

Just finished "Misery" by Stephen King and "Monstrous Regiment" by Terry Pratchet and then picked up "Night Watch" (another Terry Pratchet). Ah, funny little man that Pratchet fellow.

Jane13 10-03-2004 10:38 AM

Terry Pratchet is awesome. I liked the little troop of barbarians in Interesting Times.:P

er... "darn" those F-, I mean, "Love-making" math tests.

cthulhu 10-03-2004 11:45 AM

always have a huge pile of stuff to read

finished Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky the other day,
and i'm reading Guignol's Band by Louis-Ferdinand Celine now
next on the list is The Myth of Sisyphus by Camus, or perhaps Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig

it just seems like i'll never read even a fraction of all the good books that are out there....

TeapotScar 10-03-2004 09:16 PM

Dostoevsky is the *BEST* woo hooo!!!! I'm finishing up the Idiot (along with 300000 other books... god I hate simul-reading), and it's awesome. READ EVERYTHING RUSSIAN!! It's amazing! The dialect comes through so strongly, even in translation it's poetry.

cthulhu 10-03-2004 11:42 PM

i agree...there's just something about those depressing russian authors, haha!
and i totally know what you're talking about with the simul-reading.

also, with the russian-english translation, i find that at least some french comes off the same way. one of the reasons i loved Celine so much...try his book Journey to the End of the Night.

TeapotScar 10-03-2004 11:49 PM

Yeah, it is interesting how they keep more French phrases than Russian. Quite ironic, actually- my French helped me more when I was reading Tolstoy more than when I read Zola.

Ever read "Cancer Ward"?

cthulhu 10-04-2004 12:47 AM

nein, but it's on the ever growing, never ending list now!
thanks!

supposedly it's siginificantly more fulfilling to read foreign lang. books in their orignal language...i met a guy who was learning russian entirely for that purpose.

TeapotScar 10-04-2004 12:51 AM

Oh, I definitely would agree. Reading "The Stranger" is completely different than reading "L'Etranger" (same book... one's in French). You have to get to that point where you can think in the language, though. So you're not going "'Je crache sur tes yeux' Okay 'I spit on your eyes'.." It has to be the understanding of the language where you can't possibly translate it, because the meaning is so strong in the language.

You can sort of do that with reading translations, though, if you read enough of them. The authors repeat phrases that sound overly formal and awkward in English, but eventually you can recognize them for their true meaning, and "translate" them, I guess.

Good luck to your friend... fucking difficult language to learn.

cthulhu 10-04-2004 01:07 AM

oh, i dont even want to try learning a language that well, at least now (not to be a us-centric ugly american or anything...)
the only language i know sort of well at all aside from english is latin, and my repitoire of that is pretty limited.

well i guess the translator is as much a sort of second author of these english books, in how their mind interprets what the author meant originally, and how they think everything is supposed to glide together...although im sure there are some translators out there who dont care at all and just do it word-for word and leave just a dead, dull english version that's lost most of the vitality and meaning that the book had in another language.

edible_eye 10-09-2004 04:27 PM

mystic river by dennis lehane offers roughly 150 pages of perfect prose before the story begins to fall apart - just a little, though. the momentum of the book carries it right through to the end, despite the speed bump experienced by said thinning.

i'm going to watch the movie tonight and see how it holds up against the written word.

HerGhostInTheFog 10-17-2004 10:37 AM

i was reading "the art of happiness" which is a book on budhism
now im reading a book on the meaning of halloween symbols

naughtyvamp 10-17-2004 10:42 AM

Rite now I'm reading TITHE by holly black, its a very good read.

Voodoo_Queen 10-17-2004 02:04 PM

I'm reading "Whores of lost Atlantis" by Charles Busch. A story of camp drag queens in NY. Kinda funny.
Amelie

The_Crazy_Irishman 10-17-2004 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jane13
I've heard that Heroin is legal in te UK... could someone over there tell me if that's true? Not that I want any... :P

Yep... Just like we all have posh accents and the worst we have is drive-by arguments :wink: :roll:

As far as I know, it's a class A drug and therefore highly illegal

Darkman 10-17-2004 10:52 PM

I'm reading The Mothman Prophecies by John Keel. Sure it's bullshit but what the hell? It's about as much fun as The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson. Plus I'm reading three of the Darkside anthology books, all edited by John Pelan. Scary stuff in there. :twisted:

secretboy 10-18-2004 02:19 AM

Reading The Essential Ellison recently.

It's reconfirmed two things.

One, Harlan Ellison is a big poopyhead.

Two, "Pretty Maggie Moneyeyes" is one of my favorite short stories....ever.