Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

Ibeus 10-07-2010 09:50 AM

I just finished a StarCraft novel by Christie Golden called Firstborn. I really enjoyed that book. I'm hugely into the StarCraft universe. I think it's Blizzard's best one.

Soon, I will get my hands on another copy of Song of Susannah, the sixth book in the Dark Tower series by Stephen King.

Then I will get another copy of Pride and Prejudice. I got halfway through that before the library needed it back.

After that, it's either Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses or Thomas Pynchon's V.

HumanePain 10-07-2010 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibeus (Post 638602)
After that, it's either Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses

Good reading, but the ending was anti-climatic IMHO.

Sinjob 10-07-2010 07:16 PM

There are more books I'd like to read than actually reading now. Then again there are also books laying around my house I've been supposed to read but giving up mid-sentence as a result of trying too hard on one fucking word. I do this all the time, even with shit I'm assigned to read in school and even when I know I'm gonna ENJOY what I have to fucking read but still I'm distracted.

Anyway, it's really just an over-thought habit I need to get over. Another habit I gotta kick is putting too much on my plate and setting Stefanovik up for disaster. I mean notice how I said books.

One of the main books I'd like to be reading is Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison, but right now all I've been passively making the time to gaze upon are the following:

-Me and You and Memento and Fargo. A book on screenwriting.
Really good first chapter that epitomized the lost protagonist and related it to one of my favorites, Jim Jarmusch's Stranger than Paradise . I wanna keep it going though I don't have much time to read a book of this length when it's due in a month. This is considering my lazy over thought habit, mind you.
While I'm essantially against reading BOOKS about IMAGES just like I am against self-help books (which this one pretty much is), I need some guidance before I take on the trials of writing a complete and presentable screenplay.

-The Films of Lars Von Trier. A thesis on the man's work. Huge fan.
I've literally only read the first few pages about (stoned as fuck) but I can already say I'm obsessed with the Dogme 95 manifesto. Come back. Please. Antichrist was good but it's clear we're in need of another cinematic revolt. But that'll eventually be my job.

Lady Sorrow 10-08-2010 06:14 AM

ive just finished a book called EVIL? by Timothy Carter. very humorous lol

synthysys 10-08-2010 06:07 PM

I'm reading a translation of Baudelaire's les Fleurs du Mal, and am about halfway through the Upanishads.

OnyxBat 10-08-2010 07:13 PM

Northanger Abby by Jane Austen

Geoluhread 10-08-2010 07:36 PM

Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jiff Lindsay
xD

Saya 10-08-2010 08:23 PM

I read that! Its actually decent, but I'm not going to bother with the other books, having spoilers on how silly they get.

I just realized I'm still not done Half The Sky. I'm really behind on my reading. School is not an excuse!

DarkestSunrise 10-08-2010 08:57 PM

I read the Dexter books too. I don't think they get silly, exactly but I didn't love them. I saw the show first then started on the books. It's like the Sookie Stackhouse books and True Blood the show though- the books and the seasons of the show are two different things.

Geoluhread 10-10-2010 12:27 PM

It's because they're different I want to read them, I finished all four seasons but I wasn't really satisfied, I need another scenario for Dexter.

The first season IS in fact much better than the book!!

Now I'm reading Dearly Devoted Dexter and I'm also reading One Hundred Years of Solitude!

DarkestSunrise 10-10-2010 05:03 PM

"One Hundred Years of Solitude" is my all-time favorite book, I think. I loved it so much. After that I read a lot of his other books- the second-hand bookstores in the area had nearly every one of them. "Love In The Time Of Cholera" was another really beautiful book by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. My third fave book from him was " Of Love And Other Demons." It's kind of dark which is probably why it's so good. If you haven't read those you should check them out! Also, if you have any questions about other books by him feel free to ask.

Mariner 10-13-2010 06:28 PM

"The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins and "Critique of Intelligent Design: Materialism versus Creationism From Antiquity to the Present" by John Bellany Foster, Brett Clark, and Richard York.

Geoluhread 10-14-2010 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkestSunrise (Post 638954)
"One Hundred Years of Solitude" is my all-time favorite book, I think. I loved it so much. After that I read a lot of his other books- the second-hand bookstores in the area had nearly every one of them. "Love In The Time Of Cholera" was another really beautiful book by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. My third fave book from him was " Of Love And Other Demons." It's kind of dark which is probably why it's so good. If you haven't read those you should check them out! Also, if you have any questions about other books by him feel free to ask.

I think we have "Love in the Time of Cholera" at our uni's library.. It's kinda the only source for something that was written in the 20th century and not only classics!
I'll check it out once I finish this one :)

Anndrea 10-17-2010 03:10 PM

sharp teeth by tony barlow
and lonesome traveler by jack keruoac

Niccolo della Luce 10-17-2010 11:03 PM

I ran out of books! O:

Apathy's_Child 10-18-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niccolo della Luce (Post 640114)
I ran out of books! O:

That's not possible.

korinna5555 10-18-2010 06:19 PM

Swamp Thing, Book 1.
Interzone.

I multi-task like a champ.

OnyxBat 10-20-2010 03:36 PM

Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
(awsome so far)

Fruitbat 10-21-2010 05:53 AM

About to start Cresendo - I hope its a good book.

Still trying to finish: Burned (should be titled bored) and Linger (which the story has lingered on too far)

I want to get The duff next but I'll have to order it from the states.

Plectrude 10-23-2010 09:13 AM

īLıngvıstıka ı fılozofıja: Ogledı o fılozofskoj utemeljenostı lıngvıstıke`, Dunja Jutronıć

Here, translatıon:
Lınguıstıcs and Phılosophy: Essays on the Phılosophıcal Foundation of Lınguıstıcs

Geoluhread 10-23-2010 10:25 AM

I just started with the third book, Dexter in the Dark.
Still reading One Hundred Years of Solitude, it's a lot confusing given that everyone names their child like their grandfather\mother.. It's really annoying!!

the-nihilist 10-23-2010 02:28 PM

Algernon Blackwood, "Sand"

the-nihilist 10-23-2010 02:58 PM

Algernon Blackwood was an excellent writer. I think "The Willows" and "The Wendigo" were awesome.

Lady Sorrow 10-25-2010 07:39 AM

im thinking of starting the Koran.

zer0sleep 10-25-2010 02:46 PM

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest - Stieg Larsson