Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

CountWhiteandDrawn 01-18-2021 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpookyEli (Post 837081)
Danse Macabre by Stephen King. Partly because I’m a basic b***h and partly because I want to get as far away from King’s style and perspective on the genre as I think it casts a far to often imitated shadow that has stunted the genre somewhat. (Coupled with Poe and Lovecraft imitators, Of course)

Nothing wrong with King. Embarrassing confession: I've NEVER read ANYTHING Stephen King...

So any way, do tell about it.

SpookyEli 04-03-2021 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CountWhiteandDrawn (Post 837125)
Nothing wrong with King. Embarrassing confession: I've NEVER read ANYTHING Stephen King...

So any way, do tell about it.

So it’s been a while since I finished it but.. meh. The introduction and afterward are fun; and I learned about a few cool bits of media that I didn’t know existed before (like The Night Stalker “franchise” and Dark Shadows ((Of which I’m currently making my way thru on Prime))) But there’s quite a lot of ground covered that I’m sure in pre internet days, was a godsend; but now, um, well, it’s mostly redundant.

Oh. And the chapter on haunted houses is dated to say the least, it focuses a lot on the “new gothic” movement which, in that form anyway, never really took off; and the King’s extensive coke usage in the 80s is perhaps most obvious in that, most long winded of sections.

Overall, interesting as a king fan, a curiosity as a horror fan, but I can’t really say I’d recommend it these days; and definitely not to someone unfamiliar with his work.

————————

I’m currently reading: The White Road by John Connolly

luckyjack 07-11-2023 05:59 AM

I'm rereading Life Of Pi. One of my favorite books.

birdteeth 07-13-2023 07:12 PM

not reading anything currently but i'm about to start blood and gold by anne rice, currently waiting for the book to arrive since i online ordered it

Alicelcroto 01-17-2024 12:07 AM

What sparked your interest in werewolf books, and do you find that they offer unique insights into human behavior compared to other genres?

Molster 01-29-2024 07:11 AM

Lorna Doone as a read is quite hard work, it's written in the old Somerset Dialect but I'm still persevering with it. Also now reading Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

grave_octave 01-31-2024 08:34 AM

Finished Philip Fracassi's Boys in the Valley. Basically it's Lord of the Flies at a turn of the century boy's school. Scared the pee out of me.

Currently reading Bram Stoker's Dracula. Will most likely scare the pee out of me.

Anamhox 02-22-2024 08:59 PM

What other books by Lemony Snicket do you find enjoyable, and have you explored more of Jane Austen's works beyond the tentative reading?

Molster 02-23-2024 01:29 AM

Finished Anansi Boys and now reading Warriors and Priests: This History of the Clan Maclean 1300 - 1750