Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

MissCheyenne 05-25-2010 06:27 AM

I just bought The Road, A Game of Thrones, Kitchen and In The Miso Soup. The first two have come highly reccomended so hopefully, I won't be disappointed by them.

Shadowagony 05-26-2010 02:44 AM

Daemons Are Forever. It is like a paranormal James Bond, and there are plenty of witty lines and thinly veiled jabs at pop culture.

Aska 05-27-2010 09:44 PM

The Norse Myths by Kevin Crossley-Holland.

Nihil 05-29-2010 04:39 PM

The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, by H. P. Lovecraft and Exquisite Corpse by P. Z. Brite.

victoria 05-29-2010 08:18 PM

Im a nerd so here goes my current list of books im reading, oh i like mangas too so im including them. . .
Bleach, Vampire Knight, Perfect Girl Evolution, Red River, Naruto, Alive- The final Evolution, Akuma To Love Song, Skip Beat, Loveless, Zombie-Loan, Karin,Angel Sanctuary, I Can't Sleep Alone, Count Cain, Full Metal Alchemist, Hana Kimi, Bizenghast, Alichino, Brisnger, Eldest, Vampire Kisses books, Vlad Todd Series, Sookie Stack house books, Blue Bloods books, Peeps books. . . and I'm sure there are more but i cant remeber them all, and yes im reading all of them right now, i will get bored with one and pick up another and it just continues in an endless cycle. . .

M.Valdemar 05-29-2010 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by victoria (Post 619698)
Im a nerd so here goes my current list of books im reading, oh i like mangas too so im including them. . .
Bleach, Vampire Knight, Perfect Girl Evolution, Red River, Naruto, Alive- The final Evolution, Akuma To Love Song, Skip Beat, Loveless, Zombie-Loan, Karin,Angel Sanctuary, I Can't Sleep Alone, Count Cain, Full Metal Alchemist, Hana Kimi, Bizenghast, Alichino, Brisnger, Eldest, Vampire Kisses books, Vlad Todd Series, Sookie Stack house books, Blue Bloods books, Peeps books. . . and I'm sure there are more but i cant remeber them all, and yes im reading all of them right now, i will get bored with one and pick up another and it just continues in an endless cycle. . .

Bleary eyed much?

Quite a list

victoria 05-29-2010 11:44 PM

what can i say? I love to read its my little obsession

korinna5555 06-05-2010 08:06 AM

War and Peace. :)

HumanePain 06-09-2010 05:39 PM

I am Ozzy - by who else? Ozzy Osbourne. DAMN FUNNY! I laugh out loud with every chapter! Just a small sample:

"One time, I'm eating this cabbage and it tastes like soap...I'm sick to my guts and I don't want to die from fucking cabbage poisoning. I'm just about to say something when my dad gets back from the pub, hangs up his coat, and sits down in front of his dinner. He picks up his fork, stabs it down into the cabbage, and when he lifts it up to his mouth there's this lump of tangled wire on the end of it!
God bless my old mum, she'd boiled a Brillo pad!"

So far it is almost all like that! Hilarious!

Solumina 06-09-2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Wotton (Post 616546)
I keep picking this up in bookshops and then putting it down again. I would love to hear thoughts about it.

I kept waiting for it to pick up, it always felt like the action was just around the corner. Then the climax came and went in the span of about two paragraphs. I liked the style that the book was written in and I did get a wonderful feel for the characters but there was just so much build up and no real release. Kind of like tantric sex without ever achieving orgasm.

Angelic Dissonance 06-10-2010 01:32 AM

Now reading Graceling, by Kristin Cashore. Like it so far... I have been too busy sleeping through sickness the last couple days to read. However, dreaming makes up for it.

Did I just use 'bacon' as a verb..? ...Maybe....

Skye Jules 06-11-2010 06:16 PM

I'm reading ******, which is not as disturbing as I thought it was going to be. I mean, it's not 100% pleasant, but it's not American Psycho disturbing.

Gemini666 06-11-2010 11:00 PM

Just finished reading Dante's Inferno. It was a good book, I love the poetic irony he uses in some of the punishments for different sins. Now I have to read Paradise and Purgatory, which will probably not happen for a while. Still though, if anyone's interested and hasn't read it I suggest they do so.

Angelic Dissonance 06-12-2010 12:31 AM

Dante's Inferno was awesome. I said as soon as I returned it, "I just KNOW that someone is going to make a video game out of this, the settings are perfect". Sure enough... of course, the game has NOTHING to do with the book(from what I hear). I want to see the anime.
Has anyone read 'Childe Harold's Pilgrimmage'? I couldn't get very far past the second canto....

Lady Starrlight 06-12-2010 12:32 AM

I just finished Brother Odd and started back into my Dragonlance collection
again last night.

M.Valdemar 06-15-2010 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Starrlight (Post 621664)
I just finished Brother Odd and started back into my Dragonlance collection
again last night.

Did you like it?
My 2nd Koontz book - thought it was kind of predictable though.

By Dragonlance do you mean the Chronicles, absolute re-read classic Chronicles?

TheFeatheredÆtheling 06-16-2010 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelic Dissonance (Post 621663)
Has anyone read 'Childe Harold's Pilgrimmage'? I couldn't get very far past the second canto....

I actually have an 1888 copy of "Childe Harold's Pilgrimmage". It's dissappointingly tiny but has three quarter binding and marbled paper covers ~ a very beautiful book. Like you mentioned though, it's a very tough read, and I have yet to get through it.

HumanePain 06-16-2010 03:09 PM

My daughter just got Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith. I am soooo reading that, after I finish Ozzy's autobiography.

drewsilla 06-16-2010 04:55 PM

I just finished Little Women and Werewolves. Surprisingly enjoyable, to say the least.

Monday Morning Tea 06-17-2010 05:51 AM

I just realized the third part of a series I really enjoyed, Shadowrise by Tad Williams was realesed about 3 months ago. I thought it was coming out on July for some weird reason.

And anyway, now I'm re-reading the first 2 parts, Shadowmarch and Shadowplay, because I basically forgot what happened and need to refresh my memory.

korinna5555 06-19-2010 11:35 AM

War and Peace, by Tolstoy.
Also re-reading The Child-Thief, by Brom. It's a retelling of Peter Pan.. I love Peter Pan stories. :)

Pineapple_Juice 06-19-2010 09:27 PM

Reading the first Jim Butcher book someone lent me. I can't remember what it's called.

PS-I always wished I could sit through War and Peace. I'm jealous of you, Kor.

DarkestSunrise 06-19-2010 11:09 PM

Yay new books to read

Thanks to this thread I have some additions to my plan-to-read list. I'm currently reading "Pretty Little Dirty." It's by Amanda Bowden. Picked it up at a book-fair not expecting anything much but to pass some time and I'm loving it.

Damn good story of best-friends growing into themselves amongst artists, drugs, sex & punk rock shows.

Dama de los Cuervos 06-20-2010 01:28 AM

I just started Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series *again.* There is so much information there I feel I need to reread them to take book twelve in the proper context.

MissCheyenne 06-20-2010 11:00 AM

I'm about half way through A Game of Thrones and then I have War & Peace to start myself. I also have Kamikaze Girls to finish.