Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Spooky News (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Ikea's new add about "creepy goths" being a bad influence (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=6341)

Haex 07-12-2007 05:05 PM

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm quite happy with my cable spool and rebar furniture.

prophecyofdoom 07-12-2007 05:55 PM

I've had cable spool tables as well... But what is rebar furniture?

Lapin 07-12-2007 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prophecyofdoom

Absolute trash that's not even worth the space it takes up. But its cheap!

Haex 07-13-2007 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prophecyofdoom

It's what happens when impoverished welders think they can be carpenters. Think wrought iron except utilitarian and probably hideous.

Shadows_Jukebox 10-27-2007 04:40 PM

I'm shocked and appaled... I think i'm in love with americas ikea!!! damn vodka makes even dumb adds look hot...

but i have to agree with deathchii when she said "What the...?
I didn't mind the "brightens up the room, unlike that creepy gothic roomate" I just didn't like the "bad influence" part =["

but its still quite funny. and rather good looking *looks at empty vodka bottle and sighs* you make my life interesting.

Rorschach Twin 10-27-2007 09:56 PM

eh... I wouldn't take it seriously. The people that believe it are going to believe it, and those who don't would know better than to change their opinion about an ikea ad. I'm all for political correctness, but they're some stuff that really just doesn't make a difference.

chelseagirl 10-28-2007 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadows_Jukebox
I'm shocked and appaled... I think i'm in love with americas ikea!!! damn vodka makes even dumb adds look hot...

but i have to agree with deathchii when she said "What the...?
I didn't mind the "brightens up the room, unlike that creepy gothic roomate" I just didn't like the "bad influence" part =["

but its still quite funny. and rather good looking *looks at empty vodka bottle and sighs* you make my life interesting.

lol, I LOVE vodka! I'm working on a bottle of orange Smirnoff as I type, haha!

Wormboy 10-28-2007 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyntrox
Well, it seems you can mock goths... But imagine if it had said something like: "Unlike that creepy *insert debasing word for gay people*, who can be a bad influence."

That would never happen, gay people have fantastic fashion sense :-D

Utael 10-28-2007 02:18 PM

ok a couple of you guys blew it way out of perportion its an ad, what do most people think about goths, they think there a bad influence there selling a product, they are advertising twords the darker culture, they are advertizing to the bright colors and hide behind doors culture. they are just apealing to who buys there products and its marketting they arent being discrimtory they are just trying to sell their products its not that big of a deal

Edward Strange 10-29-2007 04:44 PM

While I am a little... Miffed about the advert I must say that on the whole I don't really mind.
As far as I can see, most of the people who are going to see it will doubtlessly chuckle softy and shake their heads a little bit because, of course they know -all about- having a Goth room mate.
Which of course they don't if anyone didn't pick up on the sarcasm there.

As the user above me states, they are selling a product, quite how they felt this would boost sales I don't know. Did they do a survey or something?
"30% of people prefer items that have a mildly mocking reference to Goths on them?"
"Four out of ten people wished they had had brighter colours in their flat to negate the influence of alternative room-mate?"

It's more than a little stupid to put that on there, because I don't imagine it boosted sales tremendously, but it's certainly alienated part of it's market just a little bit.
Having said all the above, I wouldn't mind if it was gone however.

Lapin 10-29-2007 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wormboy
That would never happen, gay people have fantastic fashion sense :-D

Where are the gay people you know? One of my best buddies is twirlier than a party dress, but he lounges around in his old hoodie and jeans playing X-Box.

thedoll 10-30-2007 12:17 AM

I wish I could be a real goth and influence my roommate to do bad things... :P

MariusCesar 10-30-2007 12:46 PM

I remember seeing this when it first came out. I thought it was kinda funny but not really nessessary to throw out in public. But the goths should look on the bright side...

When junior, the conservative, conformist rich bitch goes off the college from his sunny vanilla suburban homeland, (4) years later he'll be thanking his creepy goth roommate for saving him from becoming a pathetic bore. ;)

At least thats the way I feel anyway. ;P

Marius

DepthsofSpace 10-30-2007 01:26 PM

Heh, =P *chuckles*

Sorry, reading that I had this thought of Visigoths in a GEICO/Cavemen situation.

"We're so sorry. We had no idea you guys were still around..."

"Yeah, right. Well, next time... Try a little research, buddy."