Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   General (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Gothic Charm School- opinions (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=16540)

carakitty 10-16-2009 11:59 AM

Gothic Charm School- opinions

Do any of you read the Gothic Charm School website? http://www.gothic-charm-school.com/
What do you think about Lady of Manners?

DepthsofSpace 10-16-2009 12:19 PM

Just bought her book again, as I gave my first copy to my girlfriend.

I adore her, personally. I have a feeling there's going to be a fair portion of this forum who dislike her. She's not too keen on the whole elitism thing; and this is a hub of elitism.

homelitexl 10-16-2009 12:29 PM

i geus im just sociopathic then

Ben Lahnger 10-16-2009 01:18 PM

A sociopath from Arkansas? How can that be?!?

LMAO!

The Divine Ms. M 10-16-2009 03:54 PM

I love her writing style! I've got her book & that site is saved in my faves.

carakitty 10-16-2009 04:16 PM

I guess I should answer my own question?

I like the advice she writes, but I didn't like her videos.

How does she answer the "Am I A Goth?" question? Happy to have the URL if she enlightens us on her website.

Not Tha Duckman 10-16-2009 04:26 PM

Lame............................

Still Jack 10-16-2009 11:53 PM

Why be charming when you can bang people over the head with a brick...

Red Menace 10-17-2009 02:17 AM

I enjoyed the book, although a good chunk of it was recycled straight off the website so if you'd read that you'd read it already.

DepthsofSpace 10-17-2009 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carakitty (Post 572746)
I guess I should answer my own question?

I like the advice she writes, but I didn't like her videos.

How does she answer the "Am I A Goth?" question? Happy to have the URL if she enlightens us on her website.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQb4rQm-7_M

SiouxsiePernova 10-17-2009 09:37 AM

When did she start making videos?

KontanKarite 10-17-2009 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DepthsofSpace (Post 572682)
Just bought her book again, as I gave my first copy to my girlfriend.

I adore her, personally. I have a feeling there's going to be a fair portion of this forum who dislike her. She's not too keen on the whole elitism thing; and this is a hub of elitism.

I don't think it's strictly a means of elitism, but a means of trying to avoid lame shit such as GOTHIC charm school. Why go to her when you can learn charm from someone who is a bit more reputable?

The one thing that I've learned from interacting with the scene is this: Too many, nearly everyone, is trying to adhere to an arbitrary sense of dark aesthetic instead of just being them and allowing themselves to be as naturally dark or morbid as they are without being a caricature of their real selves.

This site is for those who thought it was at first cool to draw pentagrams on their walls and say how much they love blood but just barely matured enough to insist that now they should be arbitrarily charming to appear more darkly cutsie.

Ben Lahnger 10-17-2009 12:06 PM

BINGO!!!!

Also, you might as well seek out a gothic karate school to learn karate for all the sense this makes!

SweetJane 10-17-2009 02:42 PM

"Goodness, Snarklings!"

Ew. NOT punk-rock.

DepthsofSpace 10-17-2009 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiouxsiePernova (Post 572881)
When did she start making videos?

A couple of months ago.. I think June-ish.

Saya 10-17-2009 04:35 PM

That video was painful. Its like if Catch was normal and had a sense of confidence but still awkward.

And she looks suspiciously like an older lady I work with.

Lolly PopMuzik 10-17-2009 09:20 PM

On one hand, I have the book and can definitely agree with the whole "Show people you're not (entirely, depending on the person reading this) depraved and don't fly off so much" routine. The illustrations are actually rather neat too.

On the other hand, that "snarklings" shit needs to stop with the quickness, I'm not fond of the obnoxious sprinkling of "decadence/decadent" in nearly every mention of goffness, and I also don't like the assumptions that a "no play" list at a club is rude and that every single goff is looking to be a fancypants.

I've doled out her links before but it was only successful half of the time, if at all. Usually because that advice seeker wanted someone to give them an excuse to backhand the offender(s) instead of actual sensible advice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KontanKarite (Post 572889)
I don't think it's strictly a means of elitism, but a means of trying to avoid lame shit such as GOTHIC charm school. Why go to her when you can learn charm from someone who is a bit more reputable?

The one thing that I've learned from interacting with the scene is this: Too many, nearly everyone, is trying to adhere to an arbitrary sense of dark aesthetic instead of just being them and allowing themselves to be as naturally dark or morbid as they are without being a caricature of their real selves.

This site is for those who thought it was at first cool to draw pentagrams on their walls and say how much they love blood but just barely matured enough to insist that now they should be arbitrarily charming to appear more darkly cutsie.

That's funny because I think you used to like her.

SiouxsiePernova 10-18-2009 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DepthsofSpace (Post 572954)
A couple of months ago.. I think June-ish.

Was that when her book was released, by any chance?

Sinjob 10-18-2009 09:23 AM

I actually rather enjoy her.

P.s. Saya, please don't encourage Catch!!

KontanKarite 10-18-2009 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lolly PopMuzik (Post 573003)
On one hand, I have the book and can definitely agree with the whole "Show people you're not (entirely, depending on the person reading this) depraved and don't fly off so much" routine. The illustrations are actually rather neat too.

On the other hand, that "snarklings" shit needs to stop with the quickness, I'm not fond of the obnoxious sprinkling of "decadence/decadent" in nearly every mention of goffness, and I also don't like the assumptions that a "no play" list at a club is rude and that every single goff is looking to be a fancypants.

I've doled out her links before but it was only successful half of the time, if at all. Usually because that advice seeker wanted someone to give them an excuse to backhand the offender(s) instead of actual sensible advice.

That's funny because I think you used to like her.

Nope. You got the wrong guy. However, let the record be straight. At one time I was a ravenous fan of Limp Bizkit and Korn. Does that help clear the air a bit?

Ophelia's Snorkel 10-20-2009 06:50 AM

I think her book might be a useful ruse for making grandma more comfortable when we show up at family reunions. But a guide to live by? Haha, never.