Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

carakitty 11-23-2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beowulf (Post 685561)
Thats a really good book, did you also read the graphic novel version that Dark Horse comics published a while back ? :)

I have quite a few Star wars books in my collection, my favourite being `The Star wars Chronicles` which is amazing !!!. :)

I'm still toward the beginning of Heir but so far am feeling like I enjoyed the earlier books better. I do realize that some books can take a while to warm up, so it won't be tossed aside.

I toughed it out through the first half of "Outlander" and felt like I was gonna die because it seemed so boring but ended up getting really hooked on the series.

Tell me more about "The Star Wars Chronicles" please? Mr. Kitty has just about all of the Star Wars Novels in his library. I don't recall seeing that one though. We don't have the graphic novels either.

Entity0013 11-23-2011 07:15 PM

Confessions of an English Opium Eater by Thomas De Quincey and trying to finish the rest of Stephen King's Dark Tower series and World War Z by Max Brooks.

wolf moon 11-23-2011 08:23 PM

I am highly amused by the extreme level of Star Wars geek that has suddenly appeared around here.

Currently writing a paper on Coraline, so I just keep reading it over and over. Not that I'm complaining.

carakitty 11-23-2011 08:25 PM

Coraline? As in the girl with the button eyes? I liked that movie. The ladies with the dogs freaked me out though.

wolf moon 11-23-2011 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carakitty (Post 685737)
Coraline? As in the girl with the button eyes? I liked that movie. The ladies with the dogs freaked me out though.

Yes indeed. I love it to bits, and was quite excited when I convinced my professor to let me write about it. Am contemplating wearing my new button key necklace when I present the paper, but that might be too much...

Saya 11-23-2011 09:30 PM

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie.

Grausamkeit 11-24-2011 08:11 AM

Agatha Christie? You disgust me!

Acharis 11-24-2011 08:47 AM

Just finished rereading "Something Rotten" - Jasper Fforde.

Now I'm trying to decide between starting "The Hobbit Trap" - Maciej Henneberg and John Schofield... "Islam (its law and society)" - Jamila Hussein... or "Javascript in easy steps" - Mike McGrath.

Grausamkeit 11-24-2011 09:05 AM

I like my java with flavored, liquid creamer.

Acharis 11-24-2011 09:16 AM

I'm told Java Script isn't worth learning, but figured I'd have a passing looksy anyway just for fun... as I haven't coded at all before. (Except passing one unit by rote memory after missing prerequisites, which didn't teach me a thing.)

I've done "Hello World" which is basically the equivalent of potty training, now I want to see if I can make it do sums. If I can't get basic competence, I will simply use the knowledge I have to make the strings form disgusting and anatomically improbable statements. Hee ^_^

Entity0013 11-24-2011 07:43 PM

Anyone ever read any Anne Rice? I never have but it seems like the best case scenario for the moment...

Saya 11-24-2011 07:48 PM

I wouldn't recommend her to anyone. Her prose is fine but there's just something really lifeless about the way she writes, in my experience. I've only read Interview With A Vampire and Servant Of The Bones though, and to be fair the first half of Servant was actually good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grausamkeit (Post 685798)
Agatha Christie? You disgust me!

Its a quick read, and I hate how gory more modern mysteries are. After Girl With The Dragon Tattoo I've grown quite an appreciation for Christie.

Entity0013 11-24-2011 08:49 PM

Hmm maybe I'll put a little effort into my search..

Solumina 11-24-2011 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saya (Post 685864)
there's just something really lifeless about the way she writes

I find this highly amusing (cuz, ya know, she writes about vampires and stuff)

Entity0013 11-25-2011 12:50 AM

Ah, missed that. Ha! Found Michael Crichton's Sphere, never read anything by him before justI vaguely remember a movie so it is what I'm going with.

Acharis 11-25-2011 05:04 AM

The thing with Anne Rice is that she writes with lavish detail, but the plot tends to meander. She also works the interview-as-story device quite a bit...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Entity0013 (Post 685877)
Ah, missed that. Ha! Found Michael Crichton's Sphere, never read anything by him before justI vaguely remember a movie so it is what I'm going with.

Pick up 'Prey' if you're into science fiction, the interpersonal sub-story annoys me but predatory evolving swarm of robots are wicked. I'm not sure the science is watertight but it gives an interesting look at nanotechnology.

Saya 11-27-2011 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solumina (Post 685867)
I find this highly amusing (cuz, ya know, she writes about vampires and stuff)

I wish I caught that so I could add: http://instantrimshot.com/

Reading Harbour by John Ajvide Lindqvist. So far I don't love it as much as I loved Let The Right One In, but its still pretty good and I can't put it down, which is inconvenient since I have to get up early.

Darcnyss 11-28-2011 12:36 PM

R.A. Salvatore's Promise of the Witch King. Interesting seeing Artemis Entreri in the lead role for a change.

wolf moon 11-28-2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saya (Post 686113)
I wish I caught that so I could add: http://instantrimshot.com/

Reading Harbour by John Ajvide Lindqvist. So far I don't love it as much as I loved Let The Right One In, but its still pretty good and I can't put it down, which is inconvenient since I have to get up early.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo bothered you but you loved Let the Right One In? Remember the acid and the skin and the...ugh. I mean, it's an excellent book. But Lindqvist makes me squirm way more than Larsson ever has... I made my way through the entire Girl trilogy without ever taking a nausea break. Can't say the same for Let the Right One In.

Saya 11-28-2011 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf moon (Post 686154)
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo bothered you but you loved Let the Right One In? Remember the acid and the skin and the...ugh. I mean, it's an excellent book. But Lindqvist makes me squirm way more than Larsson ever has... I made my way through the entire Girl trilogy without ever taking a nausea break. Can't say the same for Let the Right One In.

Oh, I should have clarified. They were too "shocky" to me, like the rrape scenes and the SPOILER SPOILER: killer turning out to be the mild mannered brother who actually is a psycho serial killer who's been killing for fun for years, and no one ought to know this. With Christie its not gory, but a lot of thought went in behind whodunit and why, and you make your logical guess before the big reveal. The only one so far where I felt like it could have been anybody in the book turned out that it actually was everybody. with GWTDT it was just "AND ISNT THIS SICKENING AND HORRIFYING?!" when the killer was revealed, and it could have been anyone else and lose nothing. The only surprise was the twist about the victim. I also understand the the original title was Men Who Hate Women, but did the main character have to be the only man in the book who wasn't in any way an ass, and look at all the pussy he gets because he is the only man in the world who isn't an ass? The relationship between Lisbeth and Mikael I thought was really weird particularly, I know Larsson was traumatized after witnessing a rrape and I don't like picking at things that are created as a healing tool, but if you don't know that about Larsson its really easy to take the book as a "finally the Nice Guy finishes first" kind of thing.

With Let The Right One In, the pedophilia thing I didn't enjoy, obviously, but the whole point of the book was to scare the shit out of you and scare the shit out of me it did, like vampire book should.

wolf moon 11-28-2011 07:31 PM

Well that makes sense. I was comparing them purely from a squickiness factor and was surprised at your preference. I didn't know any of Larsson's background. My mom found the Girl trilogy in a bookstore in Sweden a while ago, and I read them all up rather delightedly but never did any research on them. Now they're available here and I suddenly have people to discuss them with, which is sort of awesome. I keep hearing completely different interpretations and it's making me want to go back and re-read.

Saya 11-28-2011 08:10 PM

I read it earlier this year after it was pumped up as the most feminist thing ever, so you can imagine my disappointment.

wolf moon 11-29-2011 06:34 AM

Yeah, most people read Lisbeth in a way that I find confusing. I mostly just see her as a badass Machead.

Currently reading A Jealous Ghost. It's surprisingly engaging.

CuckooTuli 11-30-2011 05:27 AM

J. G. Ballard - Drowned World. A lot less freaky than I was expecting after Crash - seems like a straight up sci-fi so far. Good though.

raggedyanne 11-30-2011 02:50 PM

Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor

A commentary on women in North Africa with a subtly post-apocalyptic, magical-realism twist. Beautifully written and quite gripping!