Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

Geoluhread 06-01-2011 08:40 AM

Rereading Harry Potter and Haruki Murakami's master piece "Kafka on the Shore"

For lack of new interesting material.

Saya 06-01-2011 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoluhread (Post 668470)
Rereading Harry Potter and Haruki Murakami's master piece "Kafka on the Shore"

For lack of new interesting material.

You'd like the book I'm reading now! I'm getting pretty freaked out reading it.

erotomaniac87 06-01-2011 09:52 PM

I'm currently reading "French Women Don't Get Fat" by Mireille Guiliano.

Llyallowyn 06-04-2011 07:49 PM

I just finished "The Summer Country" by James A Hetley. It wasn't a terrible read, but it was definitely not what I expected. I am more interested in fantasy with a political or emotional undercurrent, a real story about growing up or struggling with various aspects of life. In some sense of those words, this book had it, since the main character is a victim of forced intimate encounters trying to deal with additional suffering brought on by an abusive father, religious zealot mother, and living with her slutty, confident sister. Ultimately, it is like a more mature version of Twilight, sans vampires and enter wizards.

Saya 06-04-2011 11:27 PM

Regarding The Pain Of Others by Susan Sontag

Grausamkeit 06-05-2011 12:51 PM

Necroscope ~ Brian Lumley

My mother recommended this series to me when I was 14, but I was too busy reading 'Dracula' and 'Interview With The Vampire' to give it a chance. Once again Mother schools me with her book selection....some 19 years down the road...

Valhalla 06-06-2011 01:49 PM

I just borrowed The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo from a friend. I've heard good things, hope they're true.

Saya 06-06-2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valhalla (Post 668953)
I just borrowed The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo from a friend. I've heard good things, hope they're true.

I don't know how to feel about it. I had misgivings about it after I read it, I ranted about it here quite a bit, but I still overall enjoyed it. But now as time passes I like it less and less.

Not to discourage you, I don't feel like it was a waste of time reading or anything.

ChoptopsFave 06-06-2011 05:04 PM

Just finished "Grin in the Dark" by Ramsey Campbell, which sadly I really didn't like. I loved the idea of a lost silent film star (ala Paul Auster) and clowns terrify me... but it was a disjointed mess with a weak and predictable ending.

Now I'm reading Bright's Passing by Josh Ritter, and maybe picking up my copy of David J Schow's The Kill Riff as I'm still in a horror mood, just want it to be GOOD. :)

Valhalla 06-07-2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saya (Post 668956)
I don't know how to feel about it. I had misgivings about it after I read it, I ranted about it here quite a bit, but I still overall enjoyed it. But now as time passes I like it less and less.

Not to discourage you, I don't feel like it was a waste of time reading or anything.

When I finish it I'll let you know what I think.

Murder.Of.Crows 06-08-2011 06:11 PM

Just finished "Good Omens", fucking fantastic. Neil Gaiman must have some kind of magical powers to be able to create so much awesomeness.

Nayiry 06-14-2011 03:36 PM

Samarcande- Amin Maalouf

but the books my university required me to read held me back from reading it but i'm planning to continue reading it after my exams...

Saya 07-04-2011 11:42 AM

Why Nations Go To War by John G. Stoessinger.

HumanePain 07-04-2011 05:26 PM

OK, I have stocked up my summer reading supply:

Nietzsche:
The Birth of Tragedy
Twilight of The Idols
Human, All Too Human
The Will To Power
Ecce Homo

Kafka: The Complete Stories (I was ripped off! Amerika is not in it! Complete, my decayed ass...)

Aristotle: The Art of Rhetoric

Seneca: Essays and Letters

Kant: A Very Short Introduction by Roger Scruton

Stumpf: Socrates to Sartre - A History of Philosophy

I began by reading the last one listed now, and it flows very well, with some but infrequent trips to the dictionary. I should have read this one first before diving into Nietzche's Beyond Good and Evil and The Genealogy of Morals. In fact this last one is so enlightening about philosophy in general that I think I will buy something by Cicero and read that and the Seneca book first before continuing Nietzsche maybe even preclude him with Schopenhauer and of course Hegel . But I do want to read the Germans before the French (Montaigne, Descartes) as I have heard it then becomes dry reading the other way around (the French then the German philosophers) although I do not know why, I find them both equally fascinating.

Pineapple_Juice 07-15-2011 01:19 PM

A Study in Scarlet. After I finish this I want to read Koontz's Frankenstein.

Saya 07-15-2011 02:32 PM

War by Gwynne Dyer.

Drew Keaton 07-15-2011 07:25 PM

Current read

My uncle pressured me into reading Lacan's Écrits... translated I will admit. He said no self-respecting English major can graduate without it! :p

A theoretical challenge! Let's start there...

Just finished Verland: The Transformation by B.E. Scully... a gothic literary masterpiece. No self-respecting literary goth should be without it!

Fruitbat 07-16-2011 05:29 AM

I'm beta reading for a couple of other writers, so I can't say titles but they are totally outside my genre and I'm enjoying it.

Saya 08-08-2011 10:34 PM

The Sexual Politics Of Meat by Carol J. Adams. Had a lot of reading to do for school so finally getting around to it, only bought it in May.

Geoluhread 08-09-2011 05:39 AM

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles by Haruki Murakami.
This book is amazing it's been giving me the weirdest dreams and it's a very enjoyable read.

Anikita 08-24-2011 07:08 PM

cult classics

I'm reading Panther's Bite and Lightning Through the thoughts of the abyss both vampire cult classics, never mind the price its as much as eating out and this lasts longer

KissMeDeadly 08-24-2011 07:47 PM

I just obtained a very large chunk of H.P. Lovecraft's non-horror writings. It's interesting to learn about him from his own pen.

Spooky Spencer 08-24-2011 07:59 PM

Grimmie by Linda S. Cowden. It's about the Grim Reaper doing things outside his job description.

Dr.Faustust 08-30-2011 08:54 PM

At the moment I'm re-reading paradise lost aswell as the players manuel for vtm .