Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Spooky News (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Mass Shooting at Connecticut Elementary School (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=31266)

Jaye Jang 12-14-2012 01:23 PM

Mass Shooting at Connecticut Elementary School

http://www.newser.com/story/159342/i...-shooting.html

Will it never end?

Hearts and prayers go out to the victims and their families. :(

Andrias 12-14-2012 02:10 PM

[cynicism]

This puts my faith in humanity at an all-time low. Not that it wasn't absolute 0 already, now it's in the - range. Not really shocked anymore when this sort of thing happens, it's just where our society is heading, we have no one to blame but ourselves.

I hope the world does end on the 21st, should there be a loving God, he'd put us all out of our misery.

[./cynicism]

Jaye Jang 12-14-2012 02:29 PM

I hear that Andrias.

News states that the shooter killed his dad before going to the school, and that he killed his mother. His mother was a Kindergarten teacher. The article on Yah** News stated that the kids were between 5 and 10. One brave teacher hid with her classroom in the bathroom and managed to save all 19 kids. She said they kept saying, "I don't want to die. I just want to have Christmas."

What kind of sick jerk shoots little kids?

Andrias 12-14-2012 02:36 PM

And all the political pundits that will exploit this as a talking point for a debate about gun control (as I'm sure half of the people here are won't to do), when it has nothing to do with guns. After so many tragedies like this, there's something profoundly sick within the culture itself.

Jaye Jang 12-14-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrias (Post 709023)
And all the political pundits that will exploit this as a talking point for a debate about gun control (as I'm sure half of the people here are won't to do), when it has nothing to do with guns. After so many tragedies like this, there's something profoundly sick within the culture itself.

I hear you there. Until we learn self control, gun control isn't going to help much.

Jonathan 12-14-2012 05:24 PM

It will never end.

There is literally no way to ensure perfect, complete, and continuous safety for everyone at all times. No matter what course of action follows, it will never be thorough enough to absolutely guarantee that horrible tragedies never happen again.

HOWEVER that is not an excuse to throw our hands up as a society, and not look into meaningful ways to do everything we can to reduce the likelihood of something like this from happening in the first place, and to do everything we can to reduce the impact when things break down.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I was disgusted to see what some of the people on my social network had to say in regards to this. People can't seem to fall over themselves fast enough to politicize this into either the pro or anti private gun ownership. I understand that it's a conversation that will have to take place, but how about a little compassion for the people affected first.

Versus 12-14-2012 05:30 PM

Fuck all of you. The discussion doesn't suddenly come up again after a mass shooting because the discussion hasn't stopped. As with most things, people just don't listen to it between the "major events."

Jonathan 12-14-2012 05:47 PM

Right back at ya, cutie.

AshleyO 12-14-2012 06:05 PM

Shut up, Jon.

Jonathan 12-14-2012 06:48 PM

Why? You think this is the right time to slap around meme posters?

AshleyO 12-14-2012 07:15 PM

What did I say, Jon?

Jonathan 12-14-2012 07:19 PM

I considered heeding your suggestion, but I think you getting bent would be a better course of action.

Versus 12-14-2012 07:38 PM

So because I don't express something that could be assumed I feel, it's politcal profiteering? That's bullshit. There isn't a "right time" for this discussion because it happens evey single fucking day. I'm not satisfied with saying how I feel because I know that it's not enough, and I'm tired of being shammed for it by some twat who will only go so far as saying "This makes me so sad."

Andrias 12-14-2012 08:35 PM

V, because there are no words in any language that can accurately portray how any of us feel.

So we hate, and let the anger seethe out and sooth us... it's all we've got.

Where is the breaking point? How far will we go before we take steps to prevent this from happening again before we destroy ourselves?

Versus 12-14-2012 08:41 PM

Oh, you're deep.

AshleyO 12-14-2012 08:52 PM

Damnit shut up, Jon. Versus is talking!

>:X

Versus 12-14-2012 09:54 PM

Not really. I can't think of anything I haven't already said before, other then pointing out this bullshit silencing trick.

BourbonBoy 12-14-2012 09:59 PM

Look on the bright V. At least you don't have friends on Facebook posting this:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...13004826_n.jpg

My response was this: "Mother F*ing headdesk! Seriously, in a time like this, you think bringing god into school would solve the problem of whakos on the street? I'm saying this because I have family in the area that was affected, all of them good Catholics. So don't bring god into school shootings when it was a case of a sick f*ck!"

And then have friends wondering why you're flying off the fucking handle.

Versus 12-14-2012 10:06 PM

I have like 13 friends on Facebook. But disconnected theists aren't really a surprise. I pretty much expect that.

BourbonBoy 12-14-2012 10:17 PM

As negative as I am about most people, I try not to put them down on account of their faith but I've noticed it's getting harder every day. I mean shit, the one that reposted that and I replied to has been a family friend for a long, long time. Funny enough, she has yet to respond to anything that I mentioned there.

AshleyO 12-14-2012 10:18 PM

You know... I'd probably be all mad and shit at theists being disconnected like that. Not so much anymore. That's basically par for the course. It'd be more surprising if they didn't take this as an issue to scoff at prayers not being on intercom announcements.

It also doesn't help that that shirt existed long before this stuff went down.

AshleyO 12-14-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BourbonBoy (Post 709055)
As negative as I am about most people, I try not to put them down on account of their faith but I've noticed it's getting harder every day. I mean shit, the one that reposted that and I replied to has been a family friend for a long, long time. Funny enough, she has yet to respond to anything that I mentioned there.

It's not even worth battlin' with man. They will ALWAYS be there. Save yourself the blood pressure spikes and take them off your friends' list if you find that kind of crap repugnant. They don't care about understanding where you're coming from anyway.

They don't deserve that courtesy that you extend to them... but fuck it. The courtesy is easier than learnin' em.

BourbonBoy 12-14-2012 10:24 PM

I'm mostly pissed that they would act this predatory. Even serpents have better respect for their prey than religious fundamentals do.

Don't worry, I've already started the deleting process

AshleyO 12-14-2012 10:30 PM

What can you expect from people who believe in the necessity of salvation through a god?

This is how they cope with a terrifying world. Of course they're buffoons. But what else is new under the sun?

BourbonBoy 12-14-2012 10:39 PM

That's a discussion for another thread or pm I think. But I'll say this much, both of my parents were raised Catholic (Mexican & Irish) and didn't want it pushed down my throat while I was growing up so they did their best to be ethical without being Catholic if you catch my drift. I honestly think some of the Catholicism has rubbed off on me though, despite the fact I've said with a straight face to both of them that I'm an adeist