Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Music (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   I'm not gonna be a Marilyn Manson fan anymore (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=15336)

Lurci 05-10-2009 09:46 PM

I'm not gonna be a Marilyn Manson fan anymore

Now i know MM threads are probably a dead horse around here but it's true.
I''m leaving that stupid fandom for all time!

Pineapple_Juice 05-10-2009 10:38 PM

You are dumb.

Lurci 05-10-2009 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice (Post 538156)
You are dumb.

Care to explain how?

Lurci 05-10-2009 10:58 PM

I'm sorry for this stupid thread. i sometimes tend to post stupid things
without a single thought and then i kick/slap myself afterwords.

maggot 05-11-2009 05:56 AM

You're dumb because both ways, you're just following the crowd. You started listening because you thought he was soooo gawffic, and you're stopping because we say only poseurs listen to MM. Just make up your mind; we won't kill you if he like him as well as real goth rock or something else "good."

Hell, I think MM has some great songs, not that I could name them. haha

SiouxsiePernova 05-11-2009 06:30 AM

Manzin always makes me laugh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_yCqxeeLuY

Pineapple_Juice 05-11-2009 10:15 PM

I like his version of Personal Jesus a lot-but then again, I am in sexual love with DP so that's probably why.

Lurci 05-11-2009 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maggot (Post 538212)
You're dumb because both ways, you're just following the crowd. You started listening because you thought he was soooo gawffic, and you're stopping because we say only poseurs listen to MM. Just make up your mind; we won't kill you if he like him as well as real goth rock or something else "good."

Hell, I think MM has some great songs, not that I could name them. haha

Well i listened to him back in '04 or '05 before i ever discovered this site(or any fan site of him for that matter).I'll admit that i sort of did act like a stupid 'poseur'. But i grew out of that overtime. Moreover, i'm beginning to dislike him cause he disappoints me now. sure i could listen to his old stuff but still.

Godslayer Jillian 05-11-2009 10:52 PM

A friend of mine is always trying to convince me to listen to his shitty music tastes. He was saying that I should listen to Manson's new album because it's totally political.
He's a friend, but I wanted to punch him in the face for saying that stupidity.

Fester 05-12-2009 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiouxsiePernova (Post 538222)
Manzin always makes me laugh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_yCqxeeLuY

It's a hardcore, industrial,post-modern, goth rock opera for kids... & Beautiful Pigeons ... Awesome lol.

staglieno 05-15-2009 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lurci (Post 538410)
Moreover, i'm beginning to dislike him cause he disappoints me now. sure i could listen to his old stuff but still.

I can say that what I've heard of The High End of Low is way better than Eat Me Drink Me.

Beneath the Shadows 05-15-2009 01:52 AM

I admit, I started listening to Manson because I thought he was "so gawffic." I stopped listening to Manson because I grew out of his music. I began learning about actual goth music, and when I saw the obvious difference, I decided that I like goth music better. Of course, I had been listening to Manson for quite a while, so I continued doing so, because I actually did like the music. But as time went by, I began listening to him less and less. No, he's been relegated to the nostalgia section of my music collection... the music I'll dust off and listen to again only once in a great while.

Felreaper 05-15-2009 02:16 PM

I can honestly say that the worst band I've ever listened to because I thought they were gawf was Slipknot, I still listen to them (mostly off of their unreleased Crowz album with Anders on vocals, he could growl,) but I've moved on to true music, heh.

JCC 05-15-2009 02:22 PM

"True" music? As opposed to pretend music?

maggot 05-15-2009 02:26 PM

As opposed to "I'm completely full of myself" music. : D

Godslayer Jillian 05-15-2009 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maggot (Post 539412)
As opposed to "I'm completely full of myself" music. : D

I used to like opera for that reason.
Vesti La Giubba still makes me cry, and I like La Boheme. But in my opinion most people that say they enjoy opera (or god forbid "classical music") are just full of it.

ArchLich 05-15-2009 05:22 PM

Manson is a geek who got drunk in a bar one night and out of nowhere decided he wanted to be a rock star, so on the same night, within the same bar, he picked up other drunken idiots and went on to learn music. Surprizingly, considering the origin of this aspiration, he didnt turn out half as bad as I would have expected, but MM has never, in my opinion, been "goth". Most of his music is a mockery of the hypocracy 90% of the world has made out of their base moral values(a concept which I have always liked), and thats the main reason I like his music. Although there are MUCH more talented artists out there musically.

Duane 05-15-2009 05:28 PM

Brilliant at selling that image... he's like a "Goffik" Malcolm Mclaren.

Felreaper 05-16-2009 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCC (Post 539409)
"True" music? As opposed to pretend music?

Ah, I didn't see this at first. When I say true music, it means music made by those who know what they're talking about (as opposed to fake depression, and stupid/impossible political ideas) and who can play their instruments in a way that would sound good without heavy electronic noise and distortion. Well... in the case of music with the guitars, the electronic noise is fine for industrial bands...

PortraitOfSanity 05-16-2009 05:51 PM

Planning on seeing Manson at Mayhem fest in July. There's a few shitty bands playing, but there's enough decent bands (including Manson) to justify the $50 price tag. Not a huge Manson fan though.

Sinjob 05-18-2009 02:17 PM

Same here on Mayhem fest, mainly because it's pretty close to where I live and overall seems like a good opprotunity.

Personally not to big on Manson, and I second the "being full of myself" comment, it's gets really old REALLY fucking fast.

Kij. 06-15-2009 11:54 PM

Hmm, never was a fan.

Kij. 06-15-2009 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity (Post 539733)
Planning on seeing Manson at Mayhem fest in July. There's a few shitty bands playing, but there's enough decent bands (including Manson) to justify the $50 price tag. Not a huge Manson fan though.

Yeah, like Slayer. Total disappointment. Besides them and a few others, can't wait for the show!

CountVonCount 06-19-2009 10:47 PM

Marilyn Manson is goth. His music isn't goth, and he may not preach goth but he's goth. I couldn't tell if by 'marilyn manson isn't goth' people where talking about just his music or him as a person.
He's done a lot of cool shit but his albums are getting worse. The High End Of Low is a disaster, he's already said what he's needed to say and at the time it needed to be said. Now he's just talking to talk, as everyone seems to be, and isn't saying much that's interesting. The look is fun tho. Devour is a good song to look into, as is Wight Spider and Into The Fire. Eat Me Drink Me was him proving he could play the part that people thought he was already playing. It came out well for what it is; it shouldn't be seen as a step forward but a pause and a necessary one in consideration of MM's celebrity. The High End Of Low tho is totally unnecessary, the title alone says what we've all known for awhile now. He should have stuck to his 90s shtick and done a satirical mock of how every artist now of days is speaking only of indulgence and petty chit chat circumstances usually involving a girl who was fucked just to be fucked and then left whatever artist who made the song and woe to them for being without a fuck. Oh wait...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1GsKQDF1Zw and still fail.

I think he should do what it seems he's been meaning to do for a long time now and take a break on albums and get his biographical Lewis Carol movie out, do some more paintings, branch out into other ways of expression.
He's played the part of the bastard child and he always will be in one way or another. Honestly tho, while he may not have been part of the goth scene and beside the fact that it would have gone on just as it did before him with out him, he made necessary waves that helped give goth some space, some air to breath in the everyday world. Albeit that gave way for true demons to crawl from hell and cause a great backlash from society: Emo and Scene.
Ordinary kids who think they're 13yr old hormones are more than just a natural happening but a deep seeded cry that they know more about life, and rich kids who love attention. Those too mood swings have caused goth a real loss in points from everyone, but it's not like goths ever gave a shit about points in the first place.

That wasn't an attempt to clear his name, just my two cents.

Saya 06-19-2009 11:05 PM

Marilyn Manson is a goth as a person? He likes Kiss and Alice Cooper, rarely have I heard him mention listening to goth music.

Anyway, I liked his older stuff, hated Eat Me, Drink Me, might check out High End Of Low (I love not having tv or radio, I only learned by this thread he has a new album), would definitely check him out in concert but for the most part I've grown out of it.