Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

Elystan 05-15-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadBunny (Post 693286)
Right now A portrait of the artist as a young man by James Joyce. I should definitely read Ulysses...

I never could get into Joyce

Delkaetre 05-21-2012 02:34 PM

Commuting/gym read - Anno Dracula by Kim Newman
Bedtime read - Grunts by Mary Gentle
Further reading - Motel Of The Mysteries by David Macaulay

and currently collecting Dial H For Hero (China Mieville's comic-writing debut), Saucer Country, and Saga. Plus a shitton of graphic novels. But all of these things take half an hour to read, so are a little less constant than actual books.

Saya 05-21-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delkaetre (Post 695465)
Commuting/gym read - Anno Dracula by Kim Newman
Bedtime read - Grunts by Mary Gentle
Further reading - Motel Of The Mysteries by David Macaulay

and currently collecting Dial H For Hero (China Mieville's comic-writing debut), Saucer Country, and Saga. Plus a shitton of graphic novels. But all of these things take half an hour to read, so are a little less constant than actual books.

I enjoyed Dial H and Saucer Country! Saucer Country particularly, makes me nostalgic for the X-Files.

Versus 05-22-2012 02:51 AM

War is a force that gives us meaning by Chris Hedges.

Versus 05-24-2012 11:13 PM

Do not recommend. Basically articulated things that I already knew.

Victoria Lovecraft 05-25-2012 02:28 PM

I *was* reading "The Wolf Gift" but thanks to my public library's effed up system, I've had it for 2 weeks, it is due today, and I am unable to renew it because they consider it a "new release". Being a student with other responsibilities keeping me from being able to read 24/7, I got about three quarters of the way through it. Lovely.

Grausamkeit 05-27-2012 07:50 PM

Saya, that really sucks about the Slut Walks meaning getting lost. Communion looks like an interesting book from that excerpt.

I'm currently reading A Feast For Crows by George R.R. Martin. It's the fourth book in the Song of Ice and Fire series. If you're looking for happy endings and fairy tales, choose a different series.

Athanos 06-01-2012 06:30 PM

Kissed by Darkness by Shea MacLeod.

Before that was Sins of the Father by RJ Palmer.

Both fellow indie authors.

Saya 06-07-2012 07:18 PM

All Quiet On The Western Front.

Pineapple_Juice 06-07-2012 10:17 PM

Handmaiden's Tale

Saya 06-07-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice (Post 696286)
Handmaiden's Tale

Handmaid's Tale? Love that book to pieces, I really need to get it back.

Saya 06-09-2012 11:14 PM

Finished All Quiet On The Western Front, and since its a given that I won't be sleeping tonight as a result, finally reading Sister Outsider by Audre Lorde.

At long last.

Xombie 06-10-2012 09:56 AM

I just started Ishmael.

Pineapple_Juice 06-11-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saya (Post 696287)
Handmaid's Tale? Love that book to pieces, I really need to get it back.

I haven't finished yet, but the reviews said it didn't really have an ending, which is a bummer.

Saya 06-11-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice (Post 696547)
I haven't finished yet, but the reviews said it didn't really have an ending, which is a bummer.

Sort of, in that you're not really sure what happens but its not on a down note. There's a floptastic low budget movie that had a more solid ending so I just take that for headcanon.

Saya 06-20-2012 01:34 PM

The Lathe Of Heaven by Ursula Le Guin.

Minyaliel 06-25-2012 07:09 AM

I'm finishing "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. I love these two authors dearly. I have also started reading book 4 of the Rogue Agent series by K. E. Mills (the title of the book evades me at the moment), which seems to continue the series' tried and tested formula of ridiculously funny fantasy, but somewhat brainless entertainment. A perfect book for the first few weeks after a set of utterly exhausting exams, in other words. :)

Xombie 06-25-2012 11:30 AM

Siddhartha.

Saya 07-02-2012 09:47 PM

Just read The Parable Of The Sower by Octavia Butler. Its like, what, the third book I read all in one day since my YA years? And one of those was Metamorphosis so it doesn't really count. I feel like it was a bit of a brain overload to read in one day and really depressing, but I'll definitely read her other books.

Got The Left Hand Of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin to start tomorrow.

Vladimir Lessard 07-03-2012 11:22 AM

Just finished reading Horace Walpole's Gothic novel, The Castle of Otranto (1764). Generally regarded as the first gothic novel. A mixture of comedy and tragedy. If you have previously been put off reading 'classic' literature composed of antiquated language, then fear not, despite being written such a long time ago the novel is very readable. Further the novel is barely one hundred pages in length.

Class-Punk 07-05-2012 12:15 AM

A Game of Thrones.

And presently, skimming the Avadhut Gita.

Valhalla 07-08-2012 08:00 AM

I just started The Damnation Game by Clive Barker. So far I really like the way he's set up the story, and I'm curious about how it all pans out.

Victoria Lovecraft 07-08-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minyaliel (Post 697555)
I'm finishing "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. I love these two authors dearly. I have also started reading book 4 of the Rogue Agent series by K. E. Mills (the title of the book evades me at the moment), which seems to continue the series' tried and tested formula of ridiculously funny fantasy, but somewhat brainless entertainment. A perfect book for the first few weeks after a set of utterly exhausting exams, in other words. :)

Good Omens! I love that book! My copy is currently kidnapped by one o' my girlies....She best give it back. My summer isn't complete unless I re-read it.

As for what I am reading: Sandman. (I'm reading spooky comic books...Can I be one of the cool kids now? :p) I find Death adorable and I want to be just like her when I grow up.

Shimla 07-14-2012 02:12 PM

I just got finished reading Lonely Werewolf Girl by Martin Millar for the second time. Too funny!
I'm waiting on a bunch of books to get delivered to me, so I read the interwebs until then! Or maybe give Divergent by Veronica Roth yet another read... :)

Saya 07-15-2012 06:04 PM

Racism Without Racists: Color-Blind Racism and the Persistence of Racial Inequality in the United States by Eduardo Bonilla-Silva.