Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

Splintered 06-03-2007 08:52 PM

Could have sworn I posted it. Oh well.

Robert Ludlum - The Apocalypse Watch

Dancing_in_rain 06-04-2007 08:39 AM

If you haven't read Prep by Curtis Sittenfield yet, DON'T! You will die. It is the most awful book I have ever read. I decided to give it a second chance yesterday and have fully confirmed it as abysmal. Ewwwww...
The main character is shallow and boring, the school it takes place at is annoying and there is no real plot. Ugh. Just trust me on this one. Don't inflict such boring torture on yourself.

Vyvian Blackthorne 06-04-2007 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MollyMac
"Song of Myself" is Whitman, no?

Goodness, I'm afriad you're right. It's Song about Myself is Keats. Anyway, great poetry and still reading such a book.

Goth Forever

FireAndIce 06-04-2007 10:39 AM

Rudiments of English Linguistics....:(

Romantic Raven 06-04-2007 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumanePain
I have been meaning to read that, I assume this is the same Schopenhauer that influenced Nietzsche?

Yes, I believe it is, or at least so I have heard. Although I must confess that I haven't read any of Nietzsche's works yet... *blush*

Anyway, the "Essays" are amazing. They give a new perspective upon life and society in general. However, they are good ONLY if you don't take everything there literally and apply it in your life, because then you will just end up depressed. The ending of the book is a bit upsetting too; Schopenhauer talks about old age and death, leaving you with a bitter taste of something that is over, but unaccomplished. Anyway, the book is worth reading.

FireAndIce 06-06-2007 03:40 AM

...yes, those german pessimists:)...I have some experiences with listenig to people´s interpretations of the philosophical texts and those make me often more sad than the original writing...:)

I don´t consider Nietzsche or Schopenhauer pessimistic in way they make you sad and cry...optimisim is unfortunately based on the stupid "will to live"...when I say something like this to my mom she is affraid I am getting depressed....but it such a truth, that you are forced to live, "to keep up the fire"...and who knows why? because you want? no, because your braincells are faking you, promissing satisfaction worth living...the last satisfaction is death...so what is the point, then?

when this kind of truth doesn´t make one happy is it because he thinks about loosing lower things and animal pleasure of them...when you enjoy the beauty of pure thought it makes you feel chaste and heavenly...and that frees you from the addiction to life, and that is the real application:) of "sad guys" philosophy....

CreepyTendencies 06-08-2007 11:54 AM

Requiem for the Devil by Jeri Smith-Ready. Not at all my usual genre preference, but still decent nonetheless.

JCC 06-08-2007 02:53 PM

The Case of Charles Dexter Ward - HP Lovecraft.

It's part of a collection that has to go back to the library tomorrow, but it turns out they have an omnibus, so I'm getting that out so I can finish all of the short stories Lovecraft wrote.

Romantic Raven 06-08-2007 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireAndIce
when this kind of truth doesn´t make one happy is it because he thinks about loosing lower things and animal pleasure of them...when you enjoy the beauty of pure thought it makes you feel chaste and heavenly...and that frees you from the addiction to life, and that is the real application:) of "sad guys" philosophy....

However true it may seem while you read their works, after you finish the pessimistic philosophers' books and you sit and reflect upon them, one question instantly pops into your mind: what is WRONG with these people?! Of course, one can find pleasure in merely thinking and philosophising, but a bit of hedonism never hurt anybody. After all, nobody knows the purpose of our existence, so we may as well make the most of it in any possible way we can.

As for the addiction to life... I don't think suicide would serve any purpose. Life is worth living, and when you feel that something is in the way of your well-being and it endangers your existence, that factor must be removed. However difficult a situation may seem, there is always a way out of it.

demonfairy 06-18-2007 06:11 AM

Lisey's Story by Stephen King

FireAndIce 06-18-2007 09:45 AM

As for the addiction to life... I don't think suicide would serve any purpose. Life is worth living, and when you feel that something is in the way of your well-being and it endangers your existence, that factor must be removed. However difficult a situation may seem, there is always a way out of it.[/quote]

No one says that you should commit a suicide, of course. To get rid of addiction to life is a philosophical internal and balanced state...it helps you to get rid of agression and selfinvolvement, to get rid of fear of unexpected and death...It is very similar to dissolving of passions in buddism...but "sad guys" really lack something...they are extremly selfish and self-centered theoretics...no compassion, no feeling for others, no mercy...

"However difficult a situation may seem, there is always a way out of it." ...but you often cannot change external influences on you...there is no way out from burning car after accident with your head halved, to be very cruel...wise men say you can change yourself and get balanced and adapted internally any time...I dare to not agree...only thing to do if you survive is to take a "moral" and learn as much as you can after...if there is an"after"...bad things just happen...

Dancing_in_rain 06-18-2007 10:53 AM

I'm reading a number of books at the moment actually.
"Freakonomics" by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner
"I, Robot" by Isaac Asimov
"Collected poems" by Anna Akhmatova
"I shook hands with the devil" by Roméo D'Allaire

LoVe 06-18-2007 11:20 AM

Christopher Moore's YOU SUCK a love story. Very funny, he is a great writer.

the-broken-harlequin 06-18-2007 11:50 AM

An adult fan fiction based on the animated anime series naruto.
Not for naughty reasons I just seem to like it.

thedoll 06-18-2007 12:06 PM

The Unbearable Lightness of Being.

definatly recommend to those interested in human behavior

Aaroneet 06-18-2007 12:08 PM

Brighton Beach Memoirs. Actually, I finished it a few weeks ago. Hilarious play.

Tismine 06-18-2007 12:12 PM

Miss Manner's guide to excrutiatingly correct behavior.
and
The Iceman

...yes.

Vyvian Blackthorne 06-18-2007 12:26 PM

Good goth ;-) I adore my current reads, 'Wormwood' by the notoriuty whore Poppy Z. Brite, and The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. G~!Hey TISMINE HEY GET ON MSN~~!!!

Goth Forever

Crying_Crimson_Tears 06-18-2007 01:14 PM

I just got done reading "Mercy" by Jodi Picoult, and it was one of the most awesome books ever!!!! I would suggest it to anyone. And now I am reading "The Hard Way" by Lee Child. That's a pretty good book. But not really as good as "Mercy."

Tismine 06-18-2007 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vyvian Blackthorne
Good goth ;-) I adore my current reads, 'Wormwood' by the notoriuty whore Poppy Z. Brite, and The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. G~!Hey TISMINE HEY GET ON MSN~~!!!

Goth Forever

Eheheh...I need to download it. I don't have it in Florida...

Started a new book today! Nocturnes by John Connolly.
My mom just screamed. I wonder if she found another toad in the toilet.

LoVe 06-20-2007 12:36 PM

Just started The serpent's Gift~ gnostic reflections on the study of religion By Jeffrey J. Kripal.

Redgauntlet 06-24-2007 12:31 AM

I'm currently reading "Complete Ghost Stories of Charles Dickens". Afterwards, be reading "The Burning Baby & Other Ghosts" by John Gordon. I'm just on the retro-ghost stories kick right now.

Methadrine 06-24-2007 12:40 AM

I just finished reading the complete works of H.P Lovecraft... again. Going to buy something with Burroughs this week methinks.

YingFaOfAzureSky 06-24-2007 03:29 AM

I'm reading 'The Embrace' by Aphrodite Jones, 'Blue Bloods' by Melissa de la Cruz, 'Cell' by Stephen King and 'Blood Canticle' by Anne Rice.

Corpsey 06-24-2007 04:14 AM

I'm currently sick and lacking of energy to go and try to find a decent novel in the library, so any reccomendations for a book that is full of health germs would be great, please.

Currently reading: The Ellie Chronicals ~ John Marsden.