Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   General (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   e-cigarettes, personal vaporizers, etc. (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=26098)

Pineapple_Juice 03-18-2012 01:02 PM

e-cigarettes, personal vaporizers, etc.

Did a quick search but my tablet does wonky things to websites. Apologies if repeating.

Does anyone use an e-cigarette? I quit smoking smoking forever a few months ago when i bought one. The cheapos at the gas station suck, so i picked up a Joye E-Go Mega. It's pretty much the best purchase i've ever made.

I wanted one that looked and tasted exactly like a real cigarette until i realized that the bigger the piece, the bigger the battery and the more e-juice i could hold before having to refill.

What do y'all think of these newfangled contraptions?

Versus 03-18-2012 04:38 PM

I heard that some are worse then real cigarettes, but I suspect that a smoker isn't deterred by health concerns anyway. I haven't looked into it, but it's pretty appealing.

Pineapple_Juice 03-18-2012 05:54 PM

Hmm, interesting. What'd they say was in them that was worse than real cigarettes? Thusfar all i see is flavoring and vegetable glycerin with nicotine, i'd be interested to know what they mean. One of the big selling points for me was the lack of toxic chemicals.

It's really convenient in that i can "smoke" indoors and change flavors whenever it suits me. Plus if you stick with one or two flavors until theyre gone i save a shit-ton of money as opposed to buying a pack every other day.

Saya 03-18-2012 06:44 PM

My sister is trying to quit and I'm trying to get her to look into this, I think she really depends on the nicotine to get through the day.

And yeah, I thought it was all the tar and chemicals that made it bad for you, not the nicotene itself.

Versus 03-18-2012 09:49 PM

Maybe a rumor from the tobacco industry.

Solumina 03-18-2012 10:39 PM

I have heard that somehow you get more nicotine from some of them or something but since for Jake it was more the habit that he needed to kick and not really a nicotine addiction he just got cartridges with no nicotine so neither of us paid close attention to the specific concern.

Pineapple_Juice 03-19-2012 01:00 PM

Yeah, technically it was created to be a smoking cessation aid, where you slowly lower the nicotine in the cartridges until you're at 0, so really the nicotine level all depends on the strength of the juice you buy.

I figure i'm going to get down to a 0 and then keep it to vape with regularly (like jake) only for the routine of doing so.

Purepsycho 03-20-2012 04:42 PM

I'd really love to get my mum on to these (well actually i'd love to get her to stop altogether but can't see that happening anytime soon)
She smokes so much and has chronic bronchitus and has trouble just going up a flight of stairs, but can't seem to see the sense in cutting down or giving up! Go figure! So thought these might be better tahn real ones, wheres the best place to get them from??

CuckooTuli 03-20-2012 05:08 PM

Alan Carr advises against nicotine substitutes. All hail Alan Carr; the man is a god as far as I'm concerned.

I've offered this before, but I have an email-able PDF of his book if anyone is trying to quit and finding it a bitch. I'd been trying for years and have always been both dismissive and mocking towards self-help books - I wouldn't have even bothered if two separate intelligent, non-flaky friends who I'd known to be heavy smokers prior to quitting hadn't reommended it. But it really is bloody good. And I was ridiculously addicted, to the point where I'd more or less accepted it was going to kill me, and that I'd be one of those people you see in cautionary videos smoking through a hole in their throat. Highly recommend, even if you're really not the self-help book type. (Dude's incredibly famous; it's not just me being a hippie.)

Dr.Faustust 03-22-2012 04:55 PM

I've found that e cigerettes just make you want to smoke more, it dosent taste or feel like a real cigerette should as a result after using one I just want to get a real one. When quiting I found that there are actually three addictions that you are giving up. 1st is the actual chemical addiction of your body being used to having nicotin in it's system. 2nd is the hand to mouth . Your muscle memory gets used to having a cig in it's hand or it's mouth as a response to things or just in general. 3rd is the event , the habit itself , this refers to smokeing in the morning ,at night , at a show , wile drinking, and all other senerios were your used to smoking in out of habit . E cigerettes , don't do much for the addiction aspect , but can be useful for the other two. Over all I'm not a fan , but what ever floats your boat

Pineapple_Juice 03-23-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purepsycho (Post 691658)
I'd really love to get my mum on to these (well actually i'd love to get her to stop altogether but can't see that happening anytime soon)
She smokes so much and has chronic bronchitus and has trouble just going up a flight of stairs, but can't seem to see the sense in cutting down or giving up! Go figure! So thought these might be better tahn real ones, wheres the best place to get them from??

I got mine from thevaporpro.com.

Pineapple_Juice 03-23-2012 12:51 PM

Cuckoo and faust: i really don't want to quit, haha. The plan is to get to 0mg and then continue to use the vape.

It isn't like a real cigarette completely, but after using it i don't like cigarettes anymore and much prefer my vape. Just takes getting used to. Nobody likes vapes at first. Just like nobody likes cigarettes at first.

As for wantinv a.real smoke afterwards, it's possible that your nic level was too low.

AnnmarieD 03-24-2012 08:39 PM

e- cigarette-forum is a great source of info for all things electronic cigarette.

There is an info section for learning terms and how tos plus a forum section for all the specifics.

I stopped smoking cigarettes using e cigs in July of 2010 but I still use e cigarettes with nicotine.

And for full disclosure I do own an e cig shop but nothing realted to that is here. I just happened to stumble over this thread while reading the forums.

No e cigarette vendor can legally claim that e cigs will help you stop smoking. They are not an approved "smoking cessation device" but we are allowed to say they are " an alternative to smoking" which they are.

Some people quite the whole thing, some do not - they vape for quite a while.

Some taper down as mentioned here. I did that and am staying at 12mg for a while now.

There are great flavors of nicotine and excellent devices and models.

Good info: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ :)