Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

*~Necromantic_Lovely~* 12-05-2011 08:15 PM

Novels of varying Horror...

I just finished American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis, Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin, and I'm now reading ****** by Vladimir Nabokov. It is a very intriguing novel, fascinating in its own way; like a lot of the novels I read, not for the faint of heart.

Saya 12-13-2011 11:40 PM

Except The Dying by Maureen Jennings.

I stayed up late to finish it, and I kinda wish I didn't now. The book isn't bad but the ending is such a let down. I understand who the murderer was, but the motive is barely explained. It was just like "this insignificant character turns out to be a complete psycho sexual predator but we're not going to explain his connection to the victim at all."

Grausamkeit 12-16-2011 08:39 PM

BDSM erotica.....shut...up.....

NapalmCow 12-16-2011 10:09 PM

Last Exit to Brooklyn

slykitsune 12-21-2011 01:55 PM

I just finished reading Pale Demon from Kim Harrison. I cant wait for the next book! I absolutely love Al! Now Im reading Vampire Kisses 8.

Miss Absynthe 12-21-2011 02:05 PM

An Introduction to Crime and Criminology, by Hennessey, Hayes and Prenzler.

Thrilling, I know. :|

gothique noir 12-21-2011 05:20 PM

I'm reading Dance of Death by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, and a book for my review site, The Hoax by Adrienne Jones.

I'm enjoying both a lot.

The review book is so good so far, I've taken a look at what the author has on Amazon (there are 4 other books) and am seriously considering getting all 4. If The Hoax holds together, Jones is going to be someone to watch.

Saya 12-21-2011 08:29 PM

So I tried reading The Fallen Blade by Jon Courtenay Grimwood, but eventually it just pissed me off too much. I was reading it because, confession, I really do love vampires, but it seems like most vampire books now are romance novels, and I was promised this wasn't. Well, its not, but its probably more misogynistic than Twilight, although its a lot more honest about being misogynistic. It takes place hundreds of years ago so I get that a lot of the male characters aren't feminists, but the way he describes women and writes them is really troubling too. Most of them are rraped, killed and murdered, and described as sexy and voluptuous. Even an 11 year old girl gets her naked body described in uncomfortable ways, is rraped and later murdered. The only two other prominent women who aren't evil witches are virgins who do fuck all. And one of them is impregnated by a spell a mage puts on her, and a werewolf falls in love with her but she views him more as a friend and falls in love with the vampire who is obsessed with her from the first time he sees her OH WAIT THIS IS LIKE TWILIGHT AFTER ALL ISNT IT.

My roommate is a huge Agatha Christie fan and keeps giving me books to read, so I'm reading Murder At The Vicarage until I'm over my vampire rage and I'll continue my search for a decent vampire book.

Jonathan 12-22-2011 07:25 PM

Lev Grossman, "The Magicians".
Loving it.

Saya 12-27-2011 01:20 PM

Bloodshot by Cherie Priest.

Surprisingly good so far, not poorly written but not great, but I'm not a fan of stream of consciousness narration so that could just be my personal taste. But a likeable vampire protagonist who kills? So far, I'm in.

ThaLastDaysOfMrs.R 12-28-2011 06:06 AM

The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery.
Highly recommended.

carakitty 12-28-2011 09:33 AM

Yesterday I started reading "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" by Lewis Carroll. On my phone! :D I have always thought that I would hate reading on a small electronic device but it was shockingly pleasant!

Lighthouse 12-30-2011 05:38 PM

Ender's Game-Orson Scott Card

DL Winters 12-31-2011 10:58 AM

Re-reading "Gothic Charm School" as well as "Got A Minute: 60 Second Erotica"

Valhalla 01-05-2012 07:00 PM

The Devil You Know by Mike Carey. It's about a paranormal investigator/exorcist, I have a real weakness for these kinds of books. I'm around page 200 or so right now. In places it seems to drag, but I am really enjoying it.

It was Carey's first novel, so hopefully the books will just keep getting better as the series progresses.

MissCheyenne 01-09-2012 10:49 AM

Not me but my 7 year old, he's reading White Fang by Jack London. He hated books until he realised he could read books on his tablet thing. Now he's always looking for new books he can get on it. Might have to get him a kindle at some point to encourage him even further.

Miss Absynthe 01-09-2012 11:06 AM

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke.

I've read it before and really enjoy it. One of the things I really enjoy is that she has included footnotes about the 'history' behind the events (all of which are fictitious).

CuckooTuli 01-10-2012 03:42 AM

I liked Strange & Norrell, too. I didn't think it needed to be as long as it was, but I enjoyed it.

Tropic of Cancer, by Henry Miller. After that will be Journey to the End of the Night (Celine), which I've been looking forward to for a LONG time - I've heard nothing but amazing things about this book.

Current toilet reading is the 5th installment of Preacher (Dixie Fried) which is rapidly becoming my favourite comic ever.

PorlNecklace 01-10-2012 10:31 PM

I'm currently finishing works by William S. Burroughs and Marquis De Sade. After which its The Alexiad by Anna Comnena, then Anatole France's Revolt of the Angels. While for comics, I can't resist compilation volumes of old Harvey strips. Hot Stuff, Stumbo, Caspar and Wendy, etc.

NKR 01-14-2012 10:51 AM

Wormwood:Gentleman Corpse

Aphra 01-19-2012 08:00 PM

Mister B. Gone by Clive Barker

Amazing how this book draws me in closer and closer with every page!

dennisse 01-25-2012 09:21 PM

I am a surgeon and am reading about some male breast reduction surgery thesis for my surgical procedure but ofterntimes, I read some AVON novels too.

Victoria Lovecraft 01-26-2012 05:43 PM

"Smoke and Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman.
That man is my hero. I've particularly enjoyed the story "Shoggoth's Old Peculiar" so far.

Saya 01-26-2012 05:50 PM

I loved Smoke And Mirrors! Really should reread it. I think the only one I disliked in that one was the one where Snow White was a vampire who would bite her father's dick.

I got Green River Killer by Jeff Jensen today, can't wait to start.

Solumina 02-06-2012 12:58 PM

This afternoon I sat down with The Invention of Hugo Cabret, it was a quick read but I really loved it.