Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

DL Winters 03-26-2012 10:13 AM

Currently re-reading "Clive Barker's Book of Blood"

Saya 03-28-2012 10:10 PM

War Is A Force That Gives Us Meaning by Chris Hedges. He's really frustrating. He has a lot of experience in war zones and has awesome insights, and I liked Collateral Damage since it was mostly Iraq Veterans talking about their experiences while Hedges' voice barely entered.

And yet, he seems to miss his own points. Like he goes on about how war is terrible and war crimes happen because of the very nature of war, even if you're on the "good side", being exposed to terrible acts of violence fucks you up. That said, he says he's not anti-war, and that the US should intervene in cases like Bosnia and Rwanda and the blood is on our hands because we didn't. Nevermind its the same intentions that got us into Afghanistan and Iraq.

And its like, you know, maybe Africa is in the situation its in because of colonialism and imperalism and white dudes thinking they should interfere in everyone's business. Oh, and maybe we should not fund genocidal dickheads to begin with.

http://i.imgur.com/XQ6ON.jpg

Adept of the King 03-29-2012 03:43 AM

the war against the euro.... more terrifying than S.King's books :eek:

CuckooTuli 04-14-2012 03:56 PM

On the fifth book of Preacher, War in the Sun. The weakest yet, but the series has been kickass enough that I'm still jonesing for the next one already.

Saya 04-14-2012 06:01 PM

The Dispossessed by Ursula Le Guin.

HumanePain 04-15-2012 07:23 AM

Society and Solitude - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think Emerson has replaced Dr. Samuel Johnson as my favorite writer.

Renatus 04-15-2012 08:18 AM

Voltaire's Candide. It's been sitting on the bookshelf downstairs for years and I've wanted to read it for years. The books are all very nice hardcovers and I'm just soo used to thinking of them as decorations, since I'm not used to reading hardcover books that look like that, and they've always been there my whole life.

Adept of the King 04-15-2012 09:29 AM

Within tentation The Unforgiving, a comic short series... not bad not good..

Cannon 04-15-2012 01:11 PM

Nineteen Eighty-Four - George Orwell

I've heard so many things about this book, so I bought myself a $3.50 paperback copy.
So far, so good.

Apathy's_Child 04-17-2012 06:31 AM

Blood Meridian, by Cormac McCarthy. I've read it before but picked it up for the shitter & got engrossed all over again. Fucking spectacular.

shadowynne 04-19-2012 10:47 AM

just finnished Demonic Males: Apes and the Origins of Human Violence by Dale Peterson and Richard Wrangham an incredible book. i highly recomend it one of the best books i have read in decades. grim reading at times but worth it.

now im of to see if i can give myself a brain hemorrhage by finally trying to read The Ants by E. O. Wilson and Bert Hölldobler.

mindless1 04-19-2012 01:32 PM

I was reading Dexter series, but now I have it on MP3. I'm reading Twilight Eyes by Dean Koontz. Love it so far!

shadowynne 04-19-2012 02:58 PM

koontz certainly spins an entertaining yarn. i havnt read any koontz for years i should pick up something soon...

phant? NO!

Fruitbat 04-19-2012 03:48 PM

hot head......

shadowynne 04-19-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruitbat (Post 693234)
hot head......

???

ten characters my arse!

Fruitbat 04-19-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowynne (Post 693236)
???

ten characters my arse!

Hot head by Damon Suede.

It's about two NY firefighters one of whom has a crush on his bestie and all the homophobic crap that they go through. Written in first person I like the voice of the main character... plus I'm having trouble finding romance books written by guys.

DeadBunny 04-20-2012 07:13 AM

Right now A portrait of the artist as a young man by James Joyce. I should definitely read Ulysses...

nowitsdark0 04-22-2012 01:34 PM

The Girl Who Played With Fire. Just finished The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. To say I am becoming obsessed with this trilogy is an understatement.

harley 04-24-2012 03:01 PM

My last important exam is tomorrow, after which I can finally read something of my own choosing as opposed to a prescribed text! I'm so excited. I think I'm going to start "The Virgin Suicides" as it has been recommended to me by several people whose opinions I trust.

Midnight Laces 04-26-2012 10:45 PM

I'm reading The Wolf Gift by Anne Rice, signed by Anne Rice herself <3

My girlfriend sent it for me for my B-day ;)

Pineapple_Juice 05-01-2012 08:42 PM

Polished off John Dies At The End and Hell House. Working my way through Jim Butcher's Side Jobs now.

Saya 05-11-2012 06:30 PM

Communion by bell hooks. Its giving me a lot to think about. Its part memoir, part analysis on feminism's discourse, or lack thereof, on love. Its still pretty pertinent when she talks about sexual liberation and the reaction men had to it:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bell hooks
Like all my female buddies, I was into sex and sexual liberation. Radical feminism urged us to see our bodies as ourselves and to let no one make us into territory or property. In our consciousness-raising groups, in bed with lesbian women who had made the choice never or no longer to deal with men, we were interrogated. We were sleeping with the enemy, and our activist sisters wanted to know if we were surrendering in the bedroom or if we were standing strong, claiming our sexual agency. In actuality, those of us who were sleeping with men, choosing them as our primary partners, were losing the war in the bedroom. Men celebrated our sexual liberation-our willingness to freely give and enjoy blow jobs and group sex, our willingness to experiment with anal penetration-but ultimately many males revolted when we stated that our bodies were territories that they could not occupy at will. Men who were ready for female sexual liberation if it meant free pussy, no strings attached, were rarely ready for feminist female sexual agency. This agency gave us the right to say yes to sex, but it also empowered us to say no.

Makes me think of the success and popularity of Slut Walks. A lot of liberal men I know were all for it, but somewhere since the original walk it became more about sexual liberation and the message that we have the right to say no got lost.

Pineapple_Juice 05-11-2012 11:35 PM

Finished Side Jobs. Onto Fellowship of the Ring.

Saya 05-14-2012 08:52 PM

Are Prisons Obsolete? by Angela Y. Davis.

Elystan 05-15-2012 01:06 PM

I'm about halfway through ****** now and gosh it's getting horribly sad. I was intrigued by the theme of obsession, the whole underage thing being sort of incidental, but as the book goes on it becomes a bigger part of the story and it's gone from slightly disturbing to really creepy to entirely sordid. Brilliant writing though.