Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

JCC 07-27-2008 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurquoiseXx
I'm reading "Eclipse" by Stephenie Meyer.

OUT.

NOW.

qwertyuiop

TurquoiseXx 07-27-2008 07:20 AM

You must be joking. I'm into all types of "literature" so I think that's highly inappropriate.

So quick to dislike someone.

Disaffected Shoelaces 07-27-2008 07:37 AM

The Passion of New Eve by Angela Carter.

It's... weird. In a good way.

JCC 07-27-2008 07:46 AM

Quote:

You must be joking. I'm into all types of "literature" so I think that's highly inappropriate.

So quick to dislike someone.

What books do you like?

TurquoiseXx 07-27-2008 08:06 AM

Almost all kinds. I'm into romance/crime/mystery/epics/etc.

Before I was reading The Twilight Series I was reading "The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown. Before that, "The Blood of Flowers" by Anita Amirrezvani. And before THAT, "The Devil's Code" by John Sandford and so on and so on.

Can you suggest something? To be honest, I really want to go beyond and read something that is out of this world. Something I will be able to read over and over again.

Methadrine 07-27-2008 08:08 AM

Quote:

Can you suggest something? To be honest, I really want to go beyond and read something that is out of this world. Something I will be able to read over and over again.

The complete works of Shakespeare. Fucking state of the art.

JCC 07-27-2008 08:09 AM

Quote:

Almost all kinds. I'm into romance/crime/mystery/epics/etc.

Before I was reading The Twilight Series I was reading "The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown. Before that, "The Blood of Flowers" by Anita Amirrezvani. And before THAT, "The Devil's Code" by John Sandford and so on and so on.

Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky is my favourite book of all time, go with that.

TurquoiseXx 07-27-2008 08:12 AM

Thanks Methadrine. You so are right. I know I'm going to be thrown off by the old English though but I should give it a try.

JCC 07-27-2008 08:14 AM

It's not Old English, it's Early Modern English. It's relatively easy to get, and most collections will have a glossary of confusing terms.

TurquoiseXx 07-27-2008 08:14 AM

Thanks JCC. When I have the chance I will get that book.

Oh, and in my mind it's Old English haha. I remember when I was in highschool trying to read some of his works. I felt like my head was going to explode even though I enjoyed it.

viscus 07-27-2008 08:42 AM

Quote:

Thanks JCC. When I have the chance I will get that book.

Oh, and in my mind it's Old English haha. I remember when I was in highschool trying to read some of his works. I felt like my head was going to explode even though I enjoyed it.

Without sounding too pedantic, the term "Old English," as agreed upon by linguists, refers to the English spoken prior to the 1066 Norman conquest of England, and bears more resemblance to German and Norse than it does to Modern English.

JCC 07-27-2008 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viscus
Without sounding too pedantic, the term "Old English," as agreed upon by linguists, refers to the English spoken prior to the 1066 Norman conquest of England, and bears more resemblance to German and Norse than it does to Modern English.

Yeah, Old English is Beowulf-era, there's probably a handful of linguists alive that can read it well enough to say they've any knowledge of the language. Elizabethan is Early Modern.

TurquoiseXx 07-27-2008 08:59 AM

I stand corrected.

Although I do enjoy reading, I'm no literature buff by any means.

viscus 07-27-2008 09:07 AM

Back on topic: I recently finished A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin and am a few pages into it's sequel, The Tombs of Atuan. Before that I read Count Zero by William Gibson.

As for a recommendation Turqoise, I mostly like sci-fi and fantasy, almost never re-read books, and am not a literary buff by any stretch of the imagination, but you might try American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I enjoyed it more than any other book I've read.

TurquoiseXx 07-27-2008 09:12 AM

Wow, American Gods sounds really good. I will add that to my list. Thanks.

Johnny Gnar Gnar 07-27-2008 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Methadrine
The complete works of Shakespeare. Fucking state of the art.

Do not mock (I know you aren't) the Complete Works. I am in the middle of it for the third time. I am also knee deep in The Complete Plays of Anton Chekhov. Because I am so core. *Insert eyes rolling* I have a really hard time getting all the way through a book without starting another.

JCC 07-27-2008 10:04 AM

Chekhov is fantastic.

Johnny Gnar Gnar 07-27-2008 10:13 AM

I am a fan. Very much so a fan.

She_Is_My_Sin 07-27-2008 01:52 PM

'Out of the Silent Planet' by C.S Lewis.

I'm almost certain that Phillip Pullman used it for inspiration for the parts about Mary Malone's actions in The Amber Spyglass.

I just wish I had the other two books to the 'Space Triology'...

medbh4805 07-28-2008 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCC
Chekhov is fantastic.

The black monk's the only one I've read, but I remember enjoying that a lot.

coffy x 07-28-2008 12:38 PM

Right now, I am reading Ariel: the Restored Edition (book of poems) by Sylvia Plath.

God, I love how she writes/wrote.

Underwater Ophelia 07-29-2008 07:57 PM

I just started Huxley's "After many a summer dies the swan."
Has anyone read it?

Aaroneet 07-30-2008 06:38 AM

The Road Less Traveled-M. Scott Peck

Psychoanalysis by Sigmund Freud is next.

Jaye Jang 08-14-2008 12:19 AM

The Hot Zone = Richard Preston, about the Ebola Zaire virus.

MitsyMayhem 08-14-2008 12:25 AM

In Harm's Way by Doug Stanton

I have an essay due tomorrow on it.