Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What Are You Reading? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=517)

Bloody_Buttons 10-05-2005 05:01 PM

currently...

i am reading ERAGON, its actually a good book, the author is like 14 or somthin like that
:-P

Akuma2636 10-07-2005 01:31 AM

I'm reading The Mallorean series by David Eddings... again.
And I must read His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman, I have it, but it's just a huge book *cries*

Alain 10-07-2005 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akuma2636
I'm reading The Mallorean series by David Eddings... again.
And I must read His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman, I have it, but it's just a huge book *cries*

The omnibus edition? Think of it as three smaller books, and just start with the first one. ^_^

I'm currently reading "The Name of the Rose" by Umberto Eco, and also remembering Foucault's Pendulum fondly.

Noire 10-07-2005 04:53 AM

Edgar Allan Poe - Selective Writings

spookypurple 10-07-2005 05:02 AM

The Da Vinci Code, From Hell and The Mabinogion.

Disfunction 10-07-2005 06:01 AM

Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woold

Jemstone123 10-07-2005 02:34 PM

interview with a vampire by ann rice

chancre_sore 10-07-2005 03:55 PM

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas, and The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe (I'm reading them practically at the same time).

mortalitas incomitatus 10-13-2005 06:21 AM

cooking for allergies and dietary requirements

arrrrggggghhhhh.........work just never ends!!!

TheKorovaMilkbar 10-13-2005 01:36 PM

"Haunted" by Chuck Palahniuk.

Great book, excellent so far.

Katshin88@Gmail.com 10-13-2005 03:47 PM

I'm reading Dostoevsky's "The Idiot." Eventhough it's a bit different from his other works, it's still a good find.

Daedalus 10-14-2005 03:56 PM

I'm reading the teachings of Thomas Aquinas, which, I can barely understand, but I think he is trying to say religion is a science...

Junk Bond Trader 10-15-2005 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katshin88@**********
I'm reading Dostoevsky's "The Idiot." Eventhough it's a bit different from his other works, it's still a good find.

I've just begun this! I'm still at the very begining with the two men on the train. I'm a very slow reader. It has never been my strong point. I can't wait to get more into it.

I start several books at one time.

Right now, I'm nearly finished with the third book of a classic sci-fi series by Larry Niven called "The Ringworld Throne." I'm not finding it to be as good as the classic 1970 original "Ringworld" or 1980's "The Ringworld Engineers," but I own the next book "Ringworld's Children" and I want to finally crack it open, but don't want to read them out of sequence.

Ringworld is basically the book that likely inspired the small ring worlds in the HALO video game. But this one is massive: A circular band like ribbon one million miles across its width and 93 Million miles in radius with walls 1000 miles high, spinning around a white dwarf star at 770 mph to simulate near earth gravity. It did not occur naturally, but was an ancient construction by a race of super intelligent beings. They carved into it a landscape complete with mountains and oceans.

There were rumors about a movie that would be directed by James Cameron or Phil Tippett. It has not come about. Latest word is that it will not be a theatrical release any longer, but a Sci Fi channel miniseries. This is disappointing, as SFC tends to adapt classic sci-fi novels poorly. It is also disappointing that Peter Jackson will be doing a Halo movie that will be out before the Ringworld film, making it appear to be a bite off Halo rather than the other way around. I love the game. I have nothing against a movie based on it. I only wish Larry Niven would get his due respect.

Empty_Purple_Stars 10-15-2005 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junk Bond Trader

I love the game. I have nothing against a movie based on it. I only wish Larry Niven would get his due respect.

My sentiments exactly..

The Ringworld Novels are STILL some of the BEST Sci-Fi ever written..

Larry Niven is an amazing author, with a FanFrigginTastic imagination..

Just the sheer scope of the Ringworld was always more than I could comprehend..

I used to dream about wandering around there alone..

If you dig Niven, check out Greg Bear. He is probably my MOST favorite Sci-Fi author.

I HIGHLY reccommend these two series by Bear to start off with;

Eon
1. Eon (1985)
2. Eternity (1988)
3. Legacy (1995)

Forge of God
1. The Forge of God (1987)
2. Anvil of Stars (1992)

They are soooooooooo wonderful, that you actually dread reaching the last page because you don't want the books to be over..

He has written many more novels, but I'm still wading through the vast list of them.

Greg Bear=Good!!!

That is all....http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10...y_Swinging.gif

Junk Bond Trader 10-16-2005 12:03 AM

Great to hear from another Niven fan, EPS. I haven't read that much Sci Fi other than Niven, but I would like to get into some more. I will take your suggestions next time I'm looking for a good Sci Fi book to read. How closely are you following the development of the movie or miniseries? I've been unable to find much more than the press release on the internet.

ThwanCondu 10-16-2005 12:41 PM

I've heard about Eragon. The author was 17, I think, when it was published. Only I've heard that there's nothing original about it, that if you've read a lot of fantasy you'll be able to pinpoint what he stole from where. But that's just what I've heard.

I'm reading Calculating God by Robert J Sawyer. Fantastic science fiction. The book is all a discussion about intelligent design between an atheist canadian paleontologist and a God-fearing giant alien spider. Love it.

Nike 10-16-2005 01:59 PM

During my stay in Turkey I've been reading Stephen King's "Wolves in the Calla" and "Song of Susannah". I have enjoyed the previous books of the Dark Tower series and I have enjoyed these,too, still, one more to go, and I'm really curious about how The Dark Tower novels will end and what my final impression will be.

the best SciFi ever written?- I'd vote for Frank Herbert-
I've also just finished Frank Herbert's "Children of Dune" and I loved it.... can't wait to continue with "God Emperor of Dune"...

Oh well, but as I' ve been to Turkey last month.....

I've just started to read "My name is red" by Orhan Pamuk, a very good and critical turkish author, who has just recently been accused of "publicly denigrating Turkish identity". It's a shame - the trial will take place in December, and even though I can't imagine they'll dare to put an internationally known author like Pamuk to jail it upsets me that it could have even come that far.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/in...-31005,00.html
http://www.qantara.de/webcom/show_ar..._nr-218/i.html
http://www.randomhouse.com/knopf/authors/pamuk/qna.html

I've just read a few pages of "My name is red" yet, but it seems to be a great book.

Two other books on my desk are "Farewell Anatolia" by Dido Sotiriou and Nazim Hikmet's poetry....

Today's Sunday

Today's Sunday
They took me out into the sun
for the first time today
and for the first time in my life
amazed that the sky was so distant
so blue
so wide
I was still
Then I sat on the ground with respect
leaned my back against the wall.
No rolling with the waves at this moment
at this moment, neither freedom, nor my wife
the earth, the sun, and I
am content

NAZIM HIKMET
translated from Turkish by Gun Gencer

edible_eye 10-16-2005 02:58 PM

'the lost works of stephen king', by some guy.

Katshin88@Gmail.com 10-16-2005 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thejugglingtroll
The misfortunes of virtue and other early tales - The Marquis De Sade.

What other works have you read? I only read Julliett and 120 Days of Sodom.
I find them to be his best ones.

Demonista_Ravenesque 10-16-2005 11:52 PM

I am reading....

Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis....

Amazing man with an amazing past.

Empty_Purple_Stars 10-17-2005 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junk Bond Trader
Great to hear from another Niven fan, EPS. I haven't read that much Sci Fi other than Niven, but I would like to get into some more. I will take your suggestions next time I'm looking for a good Sci Fi book to read.

How closely are you following the development of the movie or miniseries? I've been unable to find much more than the press release on the internet.

This was was the largest snippet I could locate about the Mini-series..

After the Sci-Fi channel made Starbuck and Boomer, GIRLS (OMFG!!) on the new Battlestar Galactica, I decided they could not be trusted to make or re-make anything of worth..

Not that the female version of the new and improved Boomer isn't HAWT as HELL, but Boomer did not, I repeat, did not, have BREASTS!!

Sigh..

But I will probably check out the Ringworld mini-series, just so I can yell at the TV and scream " No, No, NO, you Fucktards, that is NOT how it is supposed to go!!! "

I'm glad you added those two Greg Bear series to your list, if you dug Ringworld and Niven's style of writing, you will LOVE those books..

They are simply wonderful..

If you are craving a good Horror read, I reccommend Imajica by Clive Barker!

Yes, the intro is a bit slow, but don 't let that stop you, like it did me foolishly at first. All the background info in the beginning, sets the stage for the rest of the book to blow the back of your head off.. :D

It is one of the most amazing horror novels I have ever read, and again a friggin page turner til the very end. I count it as his BEST novel. It is also one that was deep enough, that after reading it, I had to re-evaluate certain perceptions and ideas I had about Life and the Universe..

I love this quote about the book;

" There has never been a book like Imajica. Transforming every expectation of fantasy fiction with its heady mingling of radical sexuality and spiritual anarchy, it has carried its millions of readers into regions of passion and philosophy that few books have even attempted to map. It's an epic in every way; vast in conception, obsessively detailed in execution, and apocalyptic in its resolution. A book of erotic mysteries and perverse violence. A book of ancient, mythological landscapes and even more ancient magic."

I can't add much to that..

Happy Reading...

Junk Bond Trader 10-17-2005 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Empty_Purple_Stars

But I will probably check out the Ringworld mini-series, just so I can yell at the TV and scream " No, No, NO, you Fucktards, that is NOT how it is supposed to go!!! "

I'm glad you added those two Greg Bear series to your list, if you dug Ringworld and Niven's style of writing, you will LOVE those books..

They are simply wonderful..

Well at least that article about the mini-series indicates that there are two humans and TWO ALIENS. Blurbs that I had been able to find simply said four explorers crash land on an immense ring world and that the humans discover secrets that could change the Universe forever. It was a bit ambiguous as to whether Speaker and Nessus would be among them from those descriptions. I haven't seen it, but I heard the Dune mini-series was pretty good, so even though Earthsea was a flop and they're playing fast and loose with Battlestar characters, maybe there is hope.

Quote:

If you are craving a good Horror read, I reccommend Imajica by Clive Barker!

Yes, the intro is a bit slow, but don 't let that stop you, like it did me foolishly at first. All the background info in the beginning, sets the stage for the rest of the book to blow the back of your head off.. :D

It is one of the most amazing horror novels I have ever read, and again a friggin page turner til the very end. I count it as his BEST novel. It is also one that was deep enough, that after reading it, I had to re-evaluate certain perceptions and ideas I had about Life and the Universe..

I love this quote about the book;

" There has never been a book like Imajica. Transforming every expectation of fantasy fiction with its heady mingling of radical sexuality and spiritual anarchy, it has carried its millions of readers into regions of passion and philosophy that few books have even attempted to map. It's an epic in every way; vast in conception, obsessively detailed in execution, and apocalyptic in its resolution. A book of erotic mysteries and perverse violence. A book of ancient, mythological landscapes and even more ancient magic."

I can't add much to that..

Happy Reading...
I started Imajica over a decade ago when it first came out. Do you know it is the one Clive Barker novel I did not finish? I've read Weaveworld, The Great and Secret Show, The Thief of Always, many of the short stories in The Books of Blood and Inhuman Condition. But Imajica--what what a book. I got about half way through. I remember something about goddesses trapped under ice, maybe? It was so long ago. I remember the characters Pi O Pah and Judith, Gentle and Estabrook. I fear that I will have to reread from the beginning to fill myself in up to the point I left off, but I will try. Thanks for reminding me about this book. I have it in hard cover. It is some 900 pages, isn't it?

Empty_Purple_Stars 10-17-2005 02:10 PM

Yes, it is around 900 pages..

Not for the faint of literary hearts, for sure..

I noticed that Clive re-released them in two books, I suppose because people were afraid of one big one...haha..

He broke the book into:

Imajica I: The Fifth Dominion
Imajica II: The Reconciliation

So if the one HUGE book gives you the willies, you can read it in in halves..

:D

I haven't read anything by Barker since Cabal or Imajica, can't remember which was last.

Before those two, I read Weaveworld, The Great and Secret Show and have his Books of Blood and of course the Hellbound Heart.

What can you reccommend by him, of anything he published after those?

angleangel_doom 10-17-2005 02:28 PM

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, the picturesque romance I wish I had.
0-_-0;;;;
I love that kind of love-hate relationship. The last and first one I had was set up with igh expectations and then crumbled because we had little to no commmunication. I will sure as hell never do that again...the no communication part. Damn, curse and bewilder my shy nature in intimacy!

Junk Bond Trader 10-17-2005 02:54 PM

It seems you've read mostly the same ones I have.

I nearly finished Sacrament (I am notorious for not finishing books--isn't that terrible? I wasn't lying when I said Imajica was the only CB novel I didn't finish. I just forgot about this one). It was good, for as much as I read of it. It is the story of a gay nature photographer, Will Rabjohns, who photographs the extinction of species. He gets mauled by a bear, from which point the story goes back and forth from present time to "dreams" of his past when he encountered two vampire-like (I don't think he ever refers to them as such, but they are described as pale and unaging and sensual) people as a young child whose fate is somehow intertwined with his own. It deals with relationships, loss of loved ones, struggling with AIDS etc. I have about a hundred pages left. When I get to it, I'll let you know how it goes. I get the feeling there are autobiographical elements in it, moreso than his other books. I also think it is probably the most gothic of all of his books in terms of atmosphere. It is also probably the least "out there" of all his books. Alot of the flashbacks take place in a mist shrouded English countryside.

Now that I think of it, I got about a third of the way through The Damnation Game. So, yet another book begun but not finished.

I can recommend the Thief of Always. Don't be fooled by its billing as a children's book. It is as disturbing as any of his more adult oriented books, minus the sex and coarse language. It was a little predictable at times. I sort of figured out what was going on before the big surprise was unveiled, but it still made for an enjoyable read.

Other than that, I think you've hit upon most of his best work. The Hellbound Heart is obviously the novella that inspired the first Hellraiser script, but it was still good reading.

As I mentioned in a prior post, reading is, for some reason, a struggle for me. I love books--nothing like the smell of a new book. However, I'm a very slow reader. I could blame it on growing up in the first generation of MTV viewers (yes, I'm old enough to remember the days of Alan Hunter, Nina Blackwell, Martha Quinn, Mark Goodman and J. J. Jackson), but I'm sure it's just an overall lack of attention span that is part of growing up in my age group. I do try, though.