Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   General (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What's made your day? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=16268)

JCC 12-25-2009 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger (Post 590016)
JCC, I'll not disagree with you on her previous comments and behavior, but you're way off base on this one.

Do not comment so harshly on that which you have so little personal knowledge of. Unless you're the boyfriend in question. Is that you? And did you try to pull the old, "I was just joking, okay! Why are you taking this so serious" line?

He bought her lingerie as a Christmas gift for "her" so she would put out for him. That's not funny. That's immature and insensitive if you don't already have an understanding about it.

If I buy my girlfriend a cake pan for Christmas and then ask her if she's gonna make me a cake with it right away, I don't expect her to do too much laughing either.

Dork!

That was a pretty long-winded way of saying that I'm right, you should just say "You're right, JCC".

Anarasha 12-25-2009 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus (Post 590045)
I'm baffled as to why you'd bother typing this post, as if your disapproval would convince me to say sorry, but I guess you just need the exercise.

Oh, sorry for thinking that perhaps you had enough left in your head to consider other people's feelings.
I predict your next response to involve several slaps regarding how people who take anything online serious are losers.
You know, perhaps we are. Would it kill you to consider other people's feelings online just a slight bit? To be a good person in any relation?
I actually think you are a considerate and interresting person in real life, but you are like many convinced that you can say or do anything you want to do as long as you are behind the monitor, people won't care.
Now, if you don't care what I just said, so be it. I just thought I would give it a shot.

Quote:

CCT even said lingerie would have been a fine choice for an anniversary.
That's actually not what she said.

gothicusmaximus 12-25-2009 05:34 PM

I am considerate both online and in reality, just only of people who merit consideration. That is to say, not of Crying Crimson Tears.

Quote:

That's actually not what she said.
Quote:

Originally Posted by CCT
But he got the hint, he said he will save that type of thing for anniversaries only.

Pretty sure the implication is that she finds this arrangement acceptable.

vindicatedxjin 12-25-2009 05:36 PM

My step dads relatives made a huge ass bonfire today!!! I danced around it like an indian....^_^ cuz I'm a dork.

Anarasha 12-25-2009 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus (Post 590058)

I observed it as that he made a joke about doing it at anniversaries, but you may well be right, I have no idea.

Ben Lahnger 12-25-2009 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCC (Post 590048)
That was a pretty long-winded way of saying that I'm right, you should just say "You're right, JCC".

Incorrect. That was me proving once again how wrong-headed you can be. But I can't fault you much for your adolescent inexperience.

On the other hand ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus (Post 590045)
CCT even said lingerie would have been a fine choice for an anniversary.

... is not even close to the same meaning as:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crying_Crimson_Tears (Post 589961)
But he got the hint, he said he will save that type of thing for anniversaries only.

I note with my years of experience reading English as a means of communication that there is a vast difference contextually between you expression "fine choice" and her designation that he should save that kind of thing for anniversaries "only". Note that "fine choice" indicates an interest or willingness to receive the item in question, perhaps even a longing for it, while "only" sounds like the equivalent of "give it to me that one day a year, if you must."

Quote:

Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus (Post 590058)

So the fact that you parsed this "implication" this way, along with the fact that you characterized the gift as a "joke" when clearly it upset her, lets me know who the clueless poster on this subject is.

You think you're just yanking people's chains for a laugh? All I can hear is your knuckles dragging every time you come out of your cave.

gothicusmaximus 12-25-2009 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger (Post 590071)
I note with my years of experience reading English as a means of communication that there is a vast difference contextually between you expression "fine choice" and her designation that he should save that kind of thing for anniversaries "only". Note that "fine choice" indicates an interest or willingness to receive the item in question, perhaps even a longing for it, while "only" sounds like the equivalent of "give it to me that one day a year, if you must."

What the fuck are you talking about? Seriously, if this post is any indication, I probably have a better comprehension of Ancient Greek than you do of English. The idea that 'only' always connotes grudging permission is plainly absurd-- what about "only wear white shoes before memorial day and labor day?" Do you read "but it's best to never wear white shoes" into that? Don't you suppose that rather than an unqualified affirmation that 'he got the hint', CCT, given her propensity for whining, might have appended something to the effect of 'I guess that's the best I can hope for with him" or "we compromised", if she really was just utterly repulsed by the very notion of receiving lingerie from her boyfriend?

Quote:

So the fact that you parsed this "implication" this way, along with the fact that you characterized the gift as a "joke" when clearly it upset her, lets me know who the clueless poster on this subject is.
Right! "Upsetting to idiots" and "joke" are mutually exclusive concepts!
Is English your second language? Ancient Greek is my fourth. Ei ou mala sophos.

Ben Lahnger 12-25-2009 08:31 PM

I've known many arrogant, insensitive people who know multiple languages. And some of those people know the meaning of the words but fail to understand what people are trying to express. And some very smart people can listen to entire statements and because of their own prejudices hear something else. You can be insensitive in 10 languages and I'm still gonna call you on it if I see it.

You characterized the gift as a joke. It was clear it wasn't received that way. Fake vomit and whoopie cushions are gag gifts. Only men of a highly insensitvie order would think lingerie is.

You characterized her as an idiot for not getting that it was joke and said he's an idiot for sticking around if they're not fucking already - "why else would he stick around". Still makes you look clueless to me.

But I'm not here to try to bring you enlightenment. Hopefully you've already got that certain someone who doesn't mind you clubbing her over the head and dragging her to your cave.

By the way, I only speak 2 languages, but I am studying English As A Second Fucking Language.

Keni 12-25-2009 08:31 PM

Wow. You peoples make me laugh, by your tendencies to stray far far farrr away from the subject of this thread .

OH . EM . GEE .

I just had the most fantastic idea !
Let's stop talking about a cyberstranger's lingerie and discuss what made our days all the more worthwhile!!! Which is, by the way, what this entire thread is about.

So. Let's get started, shall we?

What made my day was that everybody all day long kept unknowingly saying extremely perverted statements such as,
"It's a white Christmas!"

and

"It's going to be a long, hard winter!"

Which made me laugh. ^.^

Ben Lahnger 12-25-2009 08:33 PM

Yeah, that's an improvement.

Keni 12-25-2009 08:36 PM

exactly .

follow the tradition.

gothicusmaximus 12-25-2009 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger (Post 590081)
I've known many arrogant, insensitive people who know multiple languages. And some of those people know the meaning of the words but fail to understand what people are trying to express. And some very smart people can listen to entire statements and because of their own prejudices hear something else. You can be insensitive in 10 languages and I'm still gonna call you on it if I see it.

I love being insensitive. I love being insensitive because when I'm arguing on an internet forum and the person with whom I'm arguing makes a long post, I I initially assume I'll find in that post tons of inflammatory bullshit, and that I'll feel compelled to break down said bullshit into points and painstakingly address it. Then, to my indescribable delight, the bulk of the post turns out to be about how I'm insensitive, rather than whatever the individual in question and I were discussing.

Quote:

You characterized the gift as a joke. It was clear it wasn't received that way. Fake vomit and whoopie cushions are gag gifts. Only men of a highly insensitvie order would think lingerie is.
Well, the gift itself isn't what's funny, it's the 'this present is for me too' aspect, the one that CCT found to be so unconscionable. I'm not saying it's comedic genius, but it still attests to a sense of humor on the part of the boyfriend, as JCC said. Lingerie is actually a far better gift than fake vomit, since it's actually of use to the recipient, and will continue to be of use to her long after this 'engagement' has ended-- certainly nothing over which any reasonable person would be upset.

Quote:

You characterized her as an idiot for not getting that it was joke
No, I think even she got the joke. I'm characterizing her as an idiot for being upset by it, and for pretty much every other post she's ever made.

Quote:

and said he's an idiot for sticking around if they're not fucking already - "why else would he stick around". Still makes you look clueless to me.
I'm clueless?
Moses, have you read CCT's posts? Who except an idiot would date her for the conversation? And don't say a murderer, that's cheating.

Quote:

But I'm not here to try to bring you enlightenment. Hopefully you've already got that certain someone who doesn't mind you clubbing her over the head and dragging her to your cave.
Although I'm by no means the primitive misogynist your stale jokes hold me to be, I suppose I would rather be so than believe
"Hey sweetie, I used my money to buy you a nice gift! Although this one is sort of for me too, hehheh!"
"WHAT? You and I might BOTH find pleasure in this? My boyfriend must get me things I ALONE CAN ENJOY. UGH, MEN KILL ME!"
is the sort of exchange that takes place in a healthy relationship.

Keni 12-25-2009 09:05 PM

*sigh*

and the battle continues

well
at least your arguments are rather amusing

witty banter is always fun to read

Ben Lahnger 12-25-2009 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus (Post 590086)
Moses, have you read CCT's posts?

Moses, eh? Ha! You make a fair point about my not being familiar with the bulk of her posts, so I can't argue that I'm more aware of the larger context. I still don't figure you can say lingerie is a joke, especially since that whole "it's a gift for me too" premise is kinda old school chauvinistic in nature. But I'm not figuring you or JCC will be changing your mind about that anytime soon. Maybe some of the women here will speak to that point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus (Post 590086)
Who except an idiot would date her for the conversation? And don't say a murderer, that's cheating.

You know, I wanted to rebut how you keep reinterpreting her statements, adding things she didn't say or stating you're sure she knows things she didn't speak to, but frankly I found this statement so fricking hilarious that I really don't want to any more. That really is very, very funny.

JCC 12-26-2009 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
Maybe some of the women here will speak to that point.

Dude, are you fucking kidding? Have you ever spoken to any of the women on this board, or are you just assuming that because they have tits they are shy, delicate and twee? I can't imagine any of the other female members being offended that their boyfriend both has a sense of humour and shows that he appreciates his girlfriend sexually. I mean, you and CCT can choose to keep interpreting this gift as the calling card of a manipulative domestic rapist if you want, but I'm astounded that you see this moral crusade of yours as logically consistent given your propensity to propound, often at length, your sexual desires on the board, turn many discussions around to the subject of sex despite how disparate the subjects may be and choose a gyrating half-naked woman as your avatar so you can jerk off and let your finger give you a colonoscopy as you browse the boards. You're not exactly Andrea fucking Dworkin, bud.

Ben Lahnger 12-26-2009 09:22 AM

Nice. Very tasteful. You just proved my point about you.

JCC 12-26-2009 09:29 AM

'Location: Oh yeah, baby, right there!'

Yo, what was that you were saying about tasteful? I think it was along the lines of 'Ben Lahnger is a hypocritical fat fifty year old Don Juan who posts holding his chubby in one hand'.

Anarasha 12-26-2009 09:43 AM

Sleeping in made my day.

Ben Lahnger 12-26-2009 10:09 AM

JCC, your last post = more of the same; proving my point about you again. In fact, you're doing such a good job of making yourself look bad that I'm just gonna let you carry on by yourself.

JCC 12-26-2009 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger (Post 590149)
JCC, your last post = more of the same; proving my point about you again. In fact, you're doing such a good job of making yourself look bad that I'm just gonna let you carry on by yourself.

What, you're not even going to ask my cup size?

Ben Lahnger 12-26-2009 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCC (Post 590151)
What, you're not even going to ask my cup size?

*I can't resist*

I figured you weren't old enough to need an athletic supporter yet.

Mir 12-26-2009 10:30 AM

LFC are playing like chumps again. Sure is great.

gothicusmaximus 12-26-2009 12:03 PM

I think Ben's "hah, the posts in which you utterly thrash me and my arguments are actually enforcing my points in some vague way on which I refuse to elaborate" tactic has officially established him both as the oldest person to achieve self-satisfaction through trolling an online message board and as the worst troll in the >40 age bracket.

Anarasha 12-26-2009 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger (Post 590163)
Anarasha, good story. I've heard of cats exhibiting similar behavior.

I know there are differences in temperament and activity between species and even individual breeds within species. I know you were describing a legitimate general difference in your experience with dogs and cats ... I'm thinking that a different adjective that "sophisticated" is probably what you were looking for.

Although, I have seem some pretty "simple" dogs! LOL!

^^^^ That made my day.

Ben Lahnger 12-26-2009 12:19 PM

Anarasha, did you mean to post that in the "Furries" thread?